Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

EVERYTHING from a vacuum maniflold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVERYTHING from a vacuum maniflold?

This is probably a retarded question, but I was curious. I was doing some searching on hobbs' switches and came across a thread where a guy said he had everything referenced from his vacuum manifold. Bov, boost gauge, wastegate, hobbs, and a fpr. Now, my car is not currently boosted, hopefully sometime in the future. I already had a pretty good idea of where I was going to reference all my stuff from. But is there any disadvantage to routing all your vacuum needs from one source like that? The manifold was tapped in to his booster line. Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be ok provided he has a good signal or a large primary line.
Most my stuff us referenced off a vacuum manifold.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

My plan is to run a vacuum manifold also.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats how all of my stuff is and i have no problems so you should be fine
Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
Should be ok provided he has a good signal or a large primary line.
Most my stuff us referenced off a vacuum manifold.

I'd say with a lot of items...min of 1/2" to be sure.

And definately if the brake booster is taken off it. Ideally I'd still keep the brake signal line seperate.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read not to share lines but really don't see a big deal again if main line is sufficient. I run an ebay vacuum manifold on my car ,no problems that I can see. I run bovs off it, boost controller,adjustable fuel pressure regulator,hobbs switch and my 3 bar map.
Will tee off it to run my alc injection.

I tapped the back of my fast intake for the feed line.

heres the vac manifold actually very high quality piece..

This was before connected everything. I think will just put a 90 on there and then can run my alc injection directly off the vacuum manifold.
As said currently running blow offs, 3bar map, fuel reg and boost controller and hobbs switch.
Planned alc injection needs a feed as well.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I read not to share lines
That's what I had read also. Figured I would ask since it would make everything a little easier. I was planning on getting one pretty soon. I just didn't know I could run everything off of it. Seems like nobody here has any problems doing this. Thanks
Old 12-25-2009, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I read not to share lines but really don't see a big deal again if main line is sufficient.

That is the key.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not share lines.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Using a manifold is fine as long as you have a big enough primary.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might have been me he was talking about LOL

Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Hard to tell in the pic. That setup looks to have a very small feed and internal bore. Exactly what I wouldnt use.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My feed vac line is a bigger 3/8ths and the rest are 1/4'' lines and more or less this is for looks and for helping trace problems! If i were to tee everthing together with t's ,,,,,everthing would still work the same as it does now!FACT! lol as long as theres no leaks or kinks in any of the lines. Air doesnt move threw this manifold once its fired up! .Only the amount of vac changes and the hose size or manifold size has nothing to do with this at all. Its just a point of refrence for the vacum lines to connect to. Its more show then for go.
The only thing bad about using a manifold is that if any of the iteams you've connected to the manifold were to spring a leak????LOL so to speak? All of those iteams connected will be screwed and not see correct vac.But this is also true if the main vac line ever were to crack or leak on you.LOL This is why ive got my fuel regulator ran by its self off the left TB port which i can monitor by the fuel press gauge and IMO is the most important iteam on a FI car,,as its boost referanced and will hurt the engine under boost if it doesnt see what it needs to see under boost conditions. The rest on my vac manifold iteams are off the right TB port and are my BOV's, vac gauge line, my tranny check valve and my hobbs switch, which i may tee into with the fuel regulator at a later time (meaning this winter) LOL? As long as my fuel stuff is together on its own vac line, my engine will live if anything happens to the other side and my vac gauge monitors that side anyways. So im cool!I also disconnected the adjustable boost controler as i felt it was better to just connect the waste gates right to the turbo inlets for better throttle responce and its one less thing that can stick or go bad on me and ruin my day LOL

Last edited by barnat; 12-26-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by barnat
My feed vac line is a bigger 3/8ths and the rest are 1/4'' lines and more or less this is for looks and for helping trace problems! If i were to tee everthing together with t's ,,,,,everthing would still work the same as it does now!FACT! lol as long as theres no leaks or kinks in any of the lines. Air doesnt move threw this manifold once its fired up! .Only the amount of vac changes and the hose size or manifold size has nothing to do with this at all. Its just a point of refrence for the vacum lines to connect to. Its more show then for go.
The only thing bad about using a manifold is that if any of the iteams you've connected to the manifold were to spring a leak????LOL so to speak? All of those iteams connected will be screwed and not see correct vac.But this is also true if the main vac line ever were to crack or leak on you.LOL This is why ive got my fuel regulator ran by its self off the left TB port which i can monitor by the fuel press gauge and IMO is the most important iteam on a FI car,,as its boost referanced and will hurt the engine under boost if it doesnt see what it needs to see under boost conditions. The rest on my vac manifold iteams are off the right TB port and are my BOV's, vac gauge line, my tranny check valve and my hobbs switch, which i may tee into with the fuel regulator at a later time (meaning this winter) LOL? As long as my fuel stuff is together on its own vac line, my engine will live if anything happens to the other side and my vac gauge monitors that side anyways. So im cool!I also disconnected the adjustable boost controler as i felt it was better to just connect the waste gates right to the turbo inlets for better throttle responce and its one less thing that can stick or go bad on me and ruin my day LOL
thats was a mouthful , so with out the bc, do you manually adjust the wgs?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IT_SS
thats was a mouthful , so with out the bc, do you manually adjust the wgs?
lol Just trying to be informative lol I just put the 10 PSI springs in and am going to have it retuned with the bigger LG turbos that i just installed. I put down close to 650 rwhp so im guessing 700 rwhp or alittle more with the LGs?and leave the springs at 10 psi for now Any more boost and i think ill start really killing my (street) Et's

Quick Reply: EVERYTHING from a vacuum maniflold?