TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://community.webshots.com/album/77237013FdRiwy

Here is the link, let me know..........

Picture that support as being the "missing link"
Old 02-05-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, that works Tell em I need one please Serious....tug on their arm for me.
Thanks for the pic, I can see how that helps stop the flexing, with that I can't see how the bracket would flex back toward the engine. No need for a steel bracket IMHO.
Z8's how much for another one of these lil brackets
J
Old 02-05-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey whats up frcefed98 just dropped off my car at Speed Inc for my new motor and trans. Once I get it back you and I can race to see who blows up their 10 bolt first. I bet its me.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to see that your ride is almost done No problem on the race, just drive up here to Albuquerque, NM and we will line em up here at 5600ft+ I'll beat you, no betting needed
J
Old 02-06-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Updates??? Any More Questions???
Old 02-06-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

frcefed: you only had 150 ftlb on the crank pulley bolt? That's why it's slipping the cog pulley, my MMS cp did the same thing. The ATI spec says 120 degrees after like 90 ftlbs, which is a lot. Generous locktite and ~275ftlb on mine and it stays put, and I don't think that's quite the 120 degrees either.

edit: but if asp could make it positively placed, like maybe a set of pins on each side of the spoke, that would be cool.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Has lee come up with any solution yet Jeremy, he hasn't responded to my e-mail about what hes planning to do yet......
Old 02-06-2004, 11:47 AM
8 Second Club

there might be a small problem with having them on both sides of the spokes: on my spokes the dowels (bolts actually) gouged into the spoke, so if there were dowels on both sides the pulley would still play.

the best method i think is to either have it keyed onto the snout ( just like the magnuson blower kit keys the original balancer to the snout without removing it) or having the pulley with huge recesses that fit in the area between the the spokes.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

No response from him either. I sent him a mock up pic of what dirty is describing two days back and asked if it was a good idea or not, but haven't heard back. What I sent him was a pic of the ATI crank pulley mounted on my old LS1CP with pieces of paper representing "3 machined blocks" between each spoke to hold it still. I also said that if that was a heavy option he could always machine holes in other parts of the cog. I just figure he is hard at work, trying to come up with a better solution to this problem. I'll PM you if I hear something.

Azzhauler, it was the best I could do laying in the snow with my Dad wedging a screwdriver into the flexplate and me torquing it with the torque wrench. I was sliding all over the place. I still have to get it to the shop so we can torque it down more. I hate the winter
J
Old 02-06-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate winter as well.......we got hit with about 4" of snow yesterday........

Jeremy as soon as I talk to sikora I will ask him about a price to reproduce one of those......
Old 02-07-2004, 11:18 AM
8 Second Club

bog bos,
sorry for the repeated questions about the bracket , but it got me real interested.
how long is that shaft/ bracket ? and where exactly does it tie into ?( on the body of the alternator or on a seperate bracket behind the alt.)

how close is it to the blower pulley?
Old 02-08-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

It bolts right behind the alternator, I don't have an exact measurement on it, but I will take one in the morning......I don't think there was any issue with it being close to the blower pulley.......
Old 02-09-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never had this many issues with the crank pulley.

When I rebuilt my motor I had the Crank Keyed, cost was about 40 bucks for that. 2nd I bought the ATI Balancer for about 450 bucks, something you guys don't have which I believe solves a lot of problems. 3rd Lee at ASP made my Cog Crank pulley to bolt directly to the ATI balancer pulley.. Installed everything and torqued my ballancer down to 250 ft lbs. Used a ATI "blue" crank pulley that comes with the ATI blower. I had to cut down about 3/8" off the end just like everyone else to make the bolt fit. Never had any problems since.. My only problem is the belts get messed up from my flexing ATI blower bracket. Sorry you guys are having more problems than needed.

Clint
Old 02-09-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

used a ATI "blue" crank pulley that comes with the ATI blower.
You mean blue crank bolt right? Just clearing up some confusion, It sounded like you had two crank pulleys there for a sec

Yeah the ATI balancer pulley would make things nice. But 450-500 isn't sitting in my bank acct right now, so gotta use what I have. Lee is working on a solution to this set back. I can see why lee wants a solution to making the cog work with the stock CP, 99% of us have it and are using it, so it benefits him to get it to work. 650 for the cogs plus you have to buy the ATI pulley for 450-500 now that is some major cash. I have the crank bolt torqued down to 220lb ft and it hasn't moved, that is with some more spirited driving too. So the getting it torqued down right helps lol. But if it all comes down to the cog not working with the stock CP and me having to buy the ATI piece I will.
J
Old 02-09-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
You mean blue crank bolt right? Just clearing up some confusion, It sounded like you had two crank pulleys there for a sec

Yeah the ATI balancer pulley would make things nice. But 450-500 isn't sitting in my bank acct right now, so gotta use what I have. Lee is working on a solution to this set back. I can see why lee wants a solution to making the cog work with the stock CP, 99% of us have it and are using it, so it benefits him to get it to work. 650 for the cogs plus you have to buy the ATI pulley for 450-500 now that is some major cash. I have the crank bolt torqued down to 220lb ft and it hasn't moved, that is with some more spirited driving too. So the getting it torqued down right helps lol. But if it all comes down to the cog not working with the stock CP and me having to buy the ATI piece I will.
J
Jer,
When you Keyed your crank what kit did you use?? Im going off the reply Hugger made in the post before yours. I talked tot he shop today and i am going to mail them my balancer and have it keyed, but what is Lee trying to do with the Cog crank pulley?
Kyle
Old 02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the ATI pin kit. I pinned my crank when I was doing the build up. I rented it out to Draco(lives in Canada so it will be awhile before I see it again) here on this board so he wouldn't have to spend 120 bucks on the kit himself.
I just took my stock CP to a local machineshop that cut the grove in it for $20 bucks cash and I was good to go.
As for what Lee is trying to do, I don't know that is up to him. I haven't heard back from him yet, but in my last email from him he said he was "working on a fix" for keep the cog in place with stock CP, he said he didn't like the dowels.
J
Old 02-10-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took my Stock Crank to a Shop here in town and he said I could not key it. HUH.. Oh well..

JTLYK (Just to Let you Know) I threw another Cog belt last night. I This one lasted only 600 miles.. I'm getting tired of this!! 6 Belts in 10,000 miles sucks.. I hope you don't have that same problem.

Yes by the way.. It's the Blue Crank Bolt..
Old 02-10-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any reason for it coming off in such a short time?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:34 AM
8 Second Club

do you have a ridge on both sides of the tensioner pulley?
how sure are you of the cog's alignment?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure of the alignment. The blower Bracket flexes from me spinning my blower soo hard. I didn't have this problem till I went with a smaller cogs pulley. I'm seeing 11psi and over 600 at the wheels put I half to sping my blower to 65000 impeller rpms to see 11 psi of boost.. 2 reasons I'm only seeing 11 psi. High Altitude and my 112 LSA Cam. So the fact you guys probibly won't spin the blower as hard as me you wont have trouble with the belt braking soo much.. I need to have someone make me a ATI steel bracket that wont flex..

clint

Quick Reply: ATI Cog set up is here!