Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Well, I have done my searching and there are not any out there right now used. I am purchasing this next Friday. Already have someone lined up (Thanks Hawk584).
Let us know if we can help, a handful of guys that did installs also took a bunch of pictures.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro Chris
Im not talking **** I just know exactly how a turbo works and why it works that way take a physics class you will understand why RM turbos are not nearly as efficient as FM
So what you are saying is that you dont have one. my point exactly. I am in a phsics class in college currently FYI and can tell you this, pressure is pressure. Sure a 12ft pipe will take longer to pressurize than a 2 foot one. But just how long? Maybe a second, and probably not that. Thats why they even step the pipe to get it up there quicker. And therefore even taking a little longer to pressurize than a front mount if it makes you sleep better at night call it a little less efficient. But who gives a **** when she said it will see the track 7-10 times annually? If it was a race car i would say a front mount. Just my .02 Oh BTW i have a 418 with a .96 housing and t76, and my **** is pretty efficient. Sure maybe be a little small housing on a 418 so you might say thats choking it on the top. Yepp after 6k it is, which is why you shift! lol
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike13
Let us know if we can help, a handful of guys that did installs also took a bunch of pictures.
Hey, thanks for the offer! Any help I can get with pictures or anything will help a million. My buddy Dave and Bill are going to install it in Bill's garage since he has a hoist. That means my GTO will see some garage time for a week or so! LOL, my GTO probably hates me.

Again, any pictures or little tips will help a million. If I had an LS1 F-Body I would probably consider another alternative. But I am excited about my turbo endeavor.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM

I might be interested SUJOMATT
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sujomatt
This man speaks the truth.

A bit off topic, but u got that small charge pipe running still on a big rear mounted turbo??
I sure do lmao!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

When comparing front mounts to rear mount people always me included always talk about how the front mount is more efficient. All things being equal it is but very few people are taking full advantage of either types. We don't run the most efficient turbos, the best head and cam packages, the turbo at it's most efficient spot on a map, etc. I want a car capable of going 9.99 and either set up can do that.

Serious question who makes a front mount that keeps the AC and will get you 700rwhp, single turbo F body? I would be interested.
I think josh at kypt can fab sothing up nice for not too much coin
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chase3
So what you are saying is that you dont have one. my point exactly. I am in a phsics class in college currently FYI and can tell you this, pressure is pressure. Sure a 12ft pipe will take longer to pressurize than a 2 foot one. But just how long? Maybe a second, and probably not that. Thats why they even step the pipe to get it up there quicker. And therefore even taking a little longer to pressurize than a front mount if it makes you sleep better at night call it a little less efficient. But who gives a **** when she said it will see the track 7-10 times annually? If it was a race car i would say a front mount. Just my .02 Oh BTW i have a 418 with a .96 housing and t76, and my **** is pretty efficient. Sure maybe be a little small housing on a 418 so you might say thats choking it on the top. Yepp after 6k it is, which is why you shift! lol
there is more to it then just the charge pipes.

you are missing the point where the exhaust gases have to travel all the way down to the rear of the car, and by the time they get all the way down there the exhaust gases cool, i don't care how much you wrap all the pipes or coat them they will still loose heat. and when the air is hot it expands and that is why a front mount turbo setup is more efficient then a rear mount. also i read somewhere that st used to advertise that their turbo system does not need an inter cooler because by the time the compressed air gets to the throttle body it will be cooled, i wonder what happens to all the exhaust gases that need to travel about the same distance
Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
there is more to it then just the charge pipes.

you are missing the point where the exhaust gases have to travel all the way down to the rear of the car, and by the time they get all the way down there the exhaust gases cool, i don't care how much you wrap all the pipes or coat them they will still loose heat. and when the air is hot it expands and that is why a front mount turbo setup is more efficient then a rear mount. also i read somewhere that st used to advertise that their turbo system does not need an inter cooler because by the time the compressed air gets to the throttle body it will be cooled, i wonder what happens to all the exhaust gases that need to travel about the same distance
No arguement from me, front mount is more efficient, that being said you can still make power with a rear mount. If your going for the most horsepower possible no question front mount for most of us either can be made to work. I've owned both, I had a front mount back when nobody was making more than 550rwhp. So just the fact people are debating this is pretty cool.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

No arguement from me, front mount is more efficient, that being said you can still make power with a rear mount. If your going for the most horsepower possible no question front mount for most of us either can be made to work. I've owned both, I had a front mount back when nobody was making more than 550rwhp. So just the fact people are debating this is pretty cool.
I agree with elias_799 also, I have yet to see, hear a 1k rwhp rearmount STREET CAR Thats the reason im going front mount more power for a street/mile / hiway killer car. Im not saying 800+ hp is not enough for a street car, But im looking for moer power and iit will be more simple to do a front mount to support it. I think the hihest hp i seen out a rearmount was jared lmr rearmount car it did like 840+ through a stalled auto and nine inch, and I made 813 hp thats it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Dont go StS I dont have time right know i will later but i can tell you this. Out of 100 ppl 70 will hate it 30 will love it. if your not into Competitive drag racing go for it. if you are dont do it!
how is this for competitve drag racing in a rear mount.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...ass_717245.htm

Im not talking **** I just know exactly how a turbo works and why it works that way take a physics class you will understand why RM turbos are not nearly as efficient as FM
I am running a rear mount and smoke z06 vettes, I would say not a bad upgrade for 4000 bucks..

the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, when you place the turbo in the back some of this efficiency is lost and for me this kind of spoils it.

also for a rear mount turbo set up you will need to pick a turbo with the smaller a/r exhaust housing then you would normally get for a front mount, people do this to compensate for the turbo lag that you will get if you install a turbo with a bigger a/r, that will work fine on a front mount system.

yes all the rear mount guys love paul major and always use him as an example, personally i think it is stupid to compare it to a car that will be used to drive on the street, majors car was built just to go in the straight line that's it. why do you think there is not a single production car that had the turbo mounted in back ?

most of the people who buy the sts kit don't have the money for a front mount kit or do not want to do (or afford) the work that is involved to install a turbo kit in to an f body

i would love to see somebody install a rear mount turbo in to a small cube motor like a Honda 1.6L and see how great that spools.

if i was in a position where i wanted FI and only had around four thousand i would be looking in to a procharger kit , allot more thought and engineering went in to that setup then sts
Procharger kit is way more money than a sts kit and you have to change the oil all the time, nevemind having the belt fly off on you.

Were not taking about a Honda here.

I don't know why people are always knocking sts kits or rear mount setups, everyone that has taken a ride in my car are totally amazed on how hard it pulls. It hits soft on the tires and drivetrain but makes monster power. Most of the people that say they suck don't know what they are talking about and haven't driven or rode in a car with one on it.
My car runs like stock until you mash the throttle and then all hell breaks loose.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spaz1
how is this for competitve drag racing in a rear mount.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...ass_717245.htm

I am running a rear mount and smoke z06 vettes, I would say not a bad upgrade for 4000 bucks..

Procharger kit is way more money than a sts kit and you have to change the oil all the time, nevemind having the belt fly off on you.

Were not taking about a Honda here.

I don't know why people are always knocking sts kits or rear mount setups, everyone that has taken a ride in my car are totally amazed on how hard it pulls. It hits soft on the tires and drivetrain but makes monster power. Most of the people that say they suck don't know what they are talking about and haven't driven or rode in a car with one on it.
My car runs like stock until you mash the throttle and then all hell breaks loose.
+1 why do so many people want to bash? I agree you want to build a race car go front mount. BUT the OP was wandering about this for a STREET CAR. There is nothing wrong with an sts on a street car who gives a **** if its less efficient or less this or that, dont be mad that people are making great power with something that was alot easier to do than your front mount. /its a freaking street car!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Launching!

There is a 427 lsx block rear mount car being built in collinsville il. Thread over at ls1gto.com in the tuning section. I believe he will be close to 1000 rwhp
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's nothing wrong with Procharger. As long as everything is aligned correctly the belt won't "fly off". And the oil doesn't have to be changed "all the time". I'm planning on changing mine every other oil change (~6K miles). I just purchased a used procharger setup, with a lot of custom stuff, good for 800+ rwhp, for a little over $4K. You can get a used D1SC setup for less than that, that will get you around ~550 rwhp.
If you really want turbo, go for it. I'm not bashing turbo at all, it's just not my thing. I forget where the thread is, but i just read it last night. There is at least one person/company looking into building some affordable front mount kits. You may want to wait awhile to see what develops in the next 6 months or so. Just my $.02.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Well, I have done my searching and there are not any out there right now used. I am purchasing this next Friday. Already have someone lined up (Thanks Hawk584).

Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jennifer:

Just curious why you would not consider Procharger D1 kit from EPP or other supplier? Can get good power, keep your AC and probably get installed in a weekend. Not a turbo but it is a reliable FI system.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chase3
+1 why do so many people want to bash? I agree you want to build a race car go front mount. BUT the OP was wandering about this for a STREET CAR. There is nothing wrong with an sts on a street car who gives a **** if its less efficient or less this or that, dont be mad that people are making great power with something that was alot easier to do than your front mount. /its a freaking street car!!!
if you do not give a **** about efficiency you should not be turbocharging you car
Old 01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha a lot of good points in this thread. I personally plan on going FM turbo setup. =]
Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Launching!

if you do not give a **** about efficiency you should not be turbocharging you car
Lets get one thing straight, its not that its not efficient i said its maynot be AS efficient. But for someone looking for a great power street car who cares? Its alot more of a pain in the *** to do a front mount and relocate and delete half your stuff than to have a rear mount and lose the half a second in the time it pressurizes the pipe. Because in all reality it is the same damn setup just at the back. once its pressurized its the same damn thing. a pound of boost is the same thing whether it is coming from the moon or wherever. pressure in the intake is pressure in the intake. Again i am by no means saying this is the route for a racecar. I agree with you there, just saying its a pretty neat alternative to doing all the extra stuff for the front mount. I think alot of the problems with rear mounts is that they arent properly matched with the motor or are installed half ***.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Regarding the Procharger remark, there are a lot of guys rolling around my area with Prochargers. I personally want turbo, I just never considered Procharger with everybody around here with them. A couple of guys in my club are procharged, and I have driven them, liked them, blah blah blah. Just my decision.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

so , basically you want something different then what everybody has in your club ?

the reason why you see so many people with procharger kits, is because they are cheap power adder (compare to a proper front mount turbo system), easy to install, and lots of potential

it it cost's just a little more then the sts kit

Quick Reply: STS Concerns