Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STS Concerns

I will be purchasing a STS kit next week for sure. I own an LT1 car, and always loved turbo cars. It's my dream to own a turboed-LT1 Camaro, and I plan on making it happen. Furthermore, due to the lack of a market for LT1 kits, and the (somewhat) ease of installation, I am choosing the STS kit.

I called a sponsor of this site who I have purchased from before, and asked if they sold STS systems. The individual, who was the same fellow I order parts from in previous time, almost seemed offended by me even mentioning STS. He asked me, "Why would you want to by a cheap, rear-mounted system, with a junk Chinese scavenge pump that will break on you?" I asked him why he felt that way, and at any point, did they sell these kits. That made him even more angry. He stated that he knew from personal experience on how "junky" these kits are, and that the pump will fail, and by the time it alarms you, it's too late, etc, etc. I mentioned that I planned on upgrading to the Turbowerx pump, etc, etc. He said, "Look, I gave you my opinion on it. You do what you want to with it." Basically a minute and a half conversation. Based on his state of anger, I really wanted to ask the "hard questions," but he seemed so angry, I ended the conversation.

So, out of concern, and me dropping $4k of hard earned money on this kit, I really want to hear from both sides... those who own STS, and those had may have own STS, but no longer, for whatever reason. I am pretty much set on getting this kit, but the anger of this man really concerns me. I don't want to become an angry lady with a so-called "junk" system.

Words of advice, please?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i love my rear mount kit! the guy you talked to makes me laugh... read the link in my signature.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawk584
i love my rear mount kit! the guy you talked to makes me laugh... read the link in my signature.
I have read your signature; I do realize that everything isn't perfect, but this guy tipped the edge of violent anger towards STS. So I want everyone's opinions. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been in two sts cars..one was lt1 auto otherwise stock engine. The other was ls1 six speed also stock engine. Not counting injector /fuel pump upgrades and clutch upgrade on the six speed.
Both went good,sounded good. The guy with the lt1 did blow his engine but that was mistake with his boost control and he sold the kit off after year or so but don't think he had any big problems with it. The ls1 guy has been running his kit for several years.

The new kits at least the ls1 kits seem to have quite a few improvements in various areas the first kits had some issues. So would get a newer kit if you are getting one. As for recirc pump ,it might be a good idea to upgrade the pump to better one. And would think guy could put a oil pressure safety switch or something in there or do they already have one??
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love/loved my STS kit. Made good power - all my friends LOVED the way it sounded spooling and into full boost (a jet engine) lol. if the oil pump fails ull know it quick enough to pull over without damage. I swapped mine for a Turbowerx when it started acting funny. Haven't had any significant issues other than hitting road work which bent a pipe. You'll love it.

Since you are auto you can upgrade a bit easier if you want to build it. As stock, its a perfect kit. Some people have very biased opinions.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About how long did it take for your pump to start failing Sujomatt? Also, did you ever run your car at the track, and what did it run with just adding the kit on?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Never brought it to the track. I bought the kit used - it was pretty hacked up from the previous owner. Had to have been a couple years b4 it started acting funny. It dyno'd 560rwhp/589rwtq @ 10psi. I'd say it would be a low 11 car if it was Auto.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else with times?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Dont go StS I dont have time right know i will later but i can tell you this. Out of 100 ppl 70 will hate it 30 will love it. if your not into Competitive drag racing go for it. if you are dont do it!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Alot of people will talk **** about them and have never even been around one they are just wanting to agree with others. I have zero issues with mine. I am still on the stock pump even.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Im not talking **** I just know exactly how a turbo works and why it works that way take a physics class you will understand why RM turbos are not nearly as efficient as FM
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro Chris
Dont go StS I dont have time right know i will later but i can tell you this. Out of 100 ppl 70 will hate it 30 will love it. if your not into Competitive drag racing go for it. if you are dont do it!

I'm confused how does competitive drag racing affect the decision to buy or not to buy a rear mount? You've done some kind of statistical analysis and you've determined 70 out of a 100 will hate it?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, when you place the turbo in the back some of this efficiency is lost and for me this kind of spoils it.

also for a rear mount turbo set up you will need to pick a turbo with the smaller a/r exhaust housing then you would normally get for a front mount, people do this to compensate for the turbo lag that you will get if you install a turbo with a bigger a/r, that will work fine on a front mount system.

yes all the rear mount guys love paul major and always use him as an example, personally i think it is stupid to compare it to a car that will be used to drive on the street, majors car was built just to go in the straight line that's it. why do you think there is not a single production car that had the turbo mounted in back ?

most of the people who buy the sts kit don't have the money for a front mount kit or do not want to do (or afford) the work that is involved to install a turbo kit in to an f body

i would love to see somebody install a rear mount turbo in to a small cube motor like a Honda 1.6L and see how great that spools.

if i was in a position where i wanted FI and only had around four thousand i would be looking in to a procharger kit , allot more thought and engineering went in to that setup then sts
Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Porsch have rearmounts, a turbo gt40 has rearmounts.... Im being a dick. To the op fawk all these "I hate the rearmount it sucks", "it dont make power."... IMHO If your looking for a fun street car and limited track, and pro charger is out the question go rearmount. All this front mounts work better blah blah blah, beat to death stuff. Did he post he wantd a top fuel 8 sec car? No he said he is pretty much going to get the kit and want to know the ins and out of it. Personal experiance and owners of the kit. Not what ya read or heard, but did with a rearmount. Come people what the fawk....... Ok rant over. I have smoke some front mount cars my best time was a 10.38 142 mph 1/4 highest hp 813 716tq 18 psi 14 psi 760 689 tq 4xx ci motor. Now my **** is 99.9% custom the only thing I have from sts is a charge pipe thats it. I bought my kit in 2004 my first pump failure was in 2007 purches a mocal it went **** up 2008 But that was due to a faulty motor and was replace for free. Still on the mocal to this day. Also to the paul major comment, He took the concept of a rearmounted turbo and ran with it, majority of us cant afford what he did but the results speak for themselves. I think mike marllio did a twin rearmount mustang awhile back that ran good also. I belive some of the people that post on this sight cannot take a loss to a import and cant see the evolution of a performance car and technology. its MTF 2010 people.......
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

This man speaks the truth.

A bit off topic, but u got that small charge pipe running still on a big rear mounted turbo??
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

When comparing front mounts to rear mount people always me included always talk about how the front mount is more efficient. All things being equal it is but very few people are taking full advantage of either types. We don't run the most efficient turbos, the best head and cam packages, the turbo at it's most efficient spot on a map, etc. I want a car capable of going 9.99 and either set up can do that.

Serious question who makes a front mount that keeps the AC and will get you 700rwhp, single turbo F body? I would be interested.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Did he post he wantd a top fuel 8 sec car? No he said he is pretty much going to get the kit and want to know the ins and out of it."

First off, I'm a lady. LOL, no harm done. Again, I don't have the ability and manpower to do a front mounted system, nor are there many LT1 FM kits available. That is exactly why I wanted to post, because I want people's opinions. My car sees limited track action, probably 7-10 times a year and I mostly cruise with buddies the rest of the time.

"Serious question who makes a front mount that keeps the AC and will get you 700rwhp, single turbo F body? I would be interested."

Word to your *****!

Last edited by ZGOBYBY; 01-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Zgobyby If I was in your situation I would seriously consider keeping a lookout for a deal on a used STS, I see many that are about 1/2 or less the price of new. Also if I remember correctly there isn't much of a difference between a LT1 kit and a LS1 kit.

I picked mine up with intercooler, T67 turbo, 42lb injectors, gauges for $2500 shipped. It's not the best set up but it's also not the worst $2500 I've spent.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Mine may be for sale shortly.... still doing some brainstorming - what else is new lol
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I have done my searching and there are not any out there right now used. I am purchasing this next Friday. Already have someone lined up (Thanks Hawk584).

Quick Reply: STS Concerns