Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ignition for 383 procharger build (LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition for 383 procharger build (LT1)

Hey guys-

I'm currently running an MSD 6A on my car (came on it when I bought it) and I'm going to be running a forged 383/F1A procharger setup. Any suggestions on a different ignition? Should I just roll with what I have?
I've got an MSD Pro-Billet opti ready to put on this motor, and I don't really want to do a whole bunch of wiring changes...so if I need something else, I was thinking something MSD (something fairly plug-and-play compatible with my 6A setup). Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go to a EFI Connection 24x. Ditch that opti for good. Why take a chance. I just bought one and the quality if phenomenal! If you dont want to get all crazy with it like I did, I would just stick to what you have. Optis are junk but alot of folks do lay down some pretty impressive times with them none the less.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you do decide to use the opti, make sure that you threadlock the rotor screws before you install it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you do decide to use the opti, make sure that you threadlock the rotor screws before you install it.
I actually replaced the rotor screws with some socket head stainless cut to max length before bottoming out on the opti's body, and used red loctite.

As far as going with something else like the EFI connection and ditching the opti, that's not my plan. As I said before, I have a brand new MSD opti (much better than GM's, if you've read up on them) and the 6A. NOT wanting to change the whole setup. Looking for an easy improvement, if I need one.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't want something much better like the 24x then what you have will be more than adequate. I completely understand not wanting to change over as you have already purchased all of the parts to run the opti. But personally I had the design whether its MSD or GM. Too much chance for failure. Sounds like guys are having some luck using locktight though. Chances are you will never have an issue. At my level I didnt want to take any chances.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put down 670 thru a th400 with a stock gm opti, msd 6al, and msd coil. im puttin a msd opti on it now. hope it holds up!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts about using something different because of going to F/I? Does my 6A do everything I need?