Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

It's Alive...and running great!!! DYNO VIDS UP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like a tuning issue. Did you put the map scaling back to it's original values when you swapped out the 2bar map for the 1bar map?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

funny you ask that, after we fixed the vacuum leak during the dyno session. He told me he double checked that and it was right. I changed fuel filter that I didnt change after car was down for over a year, fluid looked a little brown but fuel pressure was good at dyno as we installed gauge 60psi @ idle, check torque specs on exhaust manifold to make sure a leak isnt throwing a o2 off, I have 4 o2's on my car and I think rears are off so I swapped them from front to back. Car is idling better but not where it is A/F is commanded to. bounces from 14.6:1 - 16.8:1 and occasionally hits 17.x. Weird thing is now Im rich in full throttle into boost 10.00:1 on my AEM and kinda hiccups while getting into boost. Car still bucks a little while cruising in 2nd or third also but not as bad as before or when going into full throttle. Im still at a loss Ive tried everything sprayed a whole other can of carb cleaner around intake and all vacuum fittings, checked the long vacuum lines to wastegate and boost controller in rear as im butt mounted they are T'd in at the brake booster hose and run back they were my old ones from other setup but looked really good. Im showing good vaccuum, most guys with this cam are seeing -13 Im in the -14 to -16 range. Car is seeing 8 psi where it is set for now but it is rough getting there. We have been discussing going SD to rule MAF out. Im hoping it is not a wiring harness issue as a bad pin, pulled wire, etc. I've already considered buying another harness just to check and have a backup or make a custom harness with. Also been considering buying another PCM to rule that out also as they're pretty cheap. I just want this to go away soon before I lose the joy in it, just getting disappointed.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check IAT sensor is connected(will go pig rich if left unpluged).
Mafless is the way to go with 2bar sensor.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a brand new 2 bar and piping ready with couplers to go SD, hope that solves the issue though. Want to try anything else first mechanically and since I already payed for a MAF tune and tuner is going to look at it. Once its running right Ill way my odd on getting the SD tune. IAT is plugged in.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p0101 is MAF delta airflow that exceeds the max value specified in a lookup table. It's an OEM sanity check to make sure that the MAF is operating within a window that they have defined.. It should have been set high during tuning since the MAF was being kept on. When that code sets, the car 'fails' the MAF and runs off of the VE table and low octane table. How it acts at that point depends on the approach that your tuner took when tuning the car.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

any update?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well as everyone knows I have tried most everything possible mechanically, swapped intake gaskets, check plugs, new MAP, cleaned MAF, swapped o2's no change for the better yet.

Spoke to tuner and will be meeting him tommorrow morning for some street logging and tuning. After I get it running good, I would like to put another 250 miles or so on the engine then I will be turning methanol on and turning boost up and tuning appropriately. Just still working out bugs at moment. Will keep everyone posted tommorrow. Thanks Frost for the incite. Thanks Karpellarpy for your interest.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well small update. Originally this fresh engine was pulling -13 inches with the EPP cam now that the engine has broke in Im pulling -15 which is in between two bov springs sizes. I have the smaller of the two and I believe the bov is staying partially cracked at idle and is pulling in air but it is metered as my bov is before maf. Not sure till I see tuner but Im going to shim it tommorrow to see if I can get it barely close at idle. Then hope I dont get any compressor surge. I think a little trial and error and I can get it right. Tuner has come down with flu, hopefully he feels good enough tommorrow to look at car he said we would play it by ear. If not Ill reschedule to his earliest slot to get this beast back running right. Keep you updated to shimming and retune

Last edited by vipvegas; 02-09-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

did you get a chance to get the car to the tuner?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry guys no updates. So tommorrow I will at least post pics of build, dyno video, and the graph they provided. Will get with tuner hopefully tommorrow or this weekend. He works during the week. Also waiting to recieve a vacuum manifold so I can ran all the items needed. Things are still hookedup though now so I can tune. Car is mechanically sound. So should have new numbers soon.

Last edited by vipvegas; 02-11-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

how's the debug efforts coming along?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Going back to dyno WED. YAYAYAYAYAY got it scheduled to work out the kinks. Still need new wastegate spring to bring up boost. But I want to break it in a little more. Just need it running right and will post new numbers on WED. And before and after graphs. Tuner is also bringing another MAF incase it was the issue.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Here is my .02

Ditch the MAF before going back to tuner.
Make some "boost/vacumm leak testers" before going back to tuner.
Get it street tuned with the 2 BAR MAP setup and enjoy it.

I've made my own testers out of PVC end caps to fit SC,Turbo, & N/A setups. You will be amazed how many cars have vacuum leaks or boost leaks and have never realized it. Spraying carb cleaner is a waste of time, but using a pressure tester is a sure thing. If air is leaking out under pressure then it will be leaking in under vacuum too. Using a pressure tester is great, since the engine is off it's easy to listen/spray soapy water and pin-point where the leaks are coming from. Pressure test your intake and exhaust side since you are turbo.

Even if you keep the MAF, you really need to pressure test before going back to tuner.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well had a successful day yesterday on the dyno. We believe the 1 bar MAP I borrowed and stuck in was faulty and we used it during the initial tune. So when I replaced it with a new one the tune went out of whack. Or could have been the numerous things I reran or tried. The retune or tweaking this go round was a breeze, it was a little warmer out and numbers dropped a little only about 10hp but I could cough that up to anything. Graphs almost overlapped from last dyno session. Waiting on new boost referenced methanol controller and new wastegate spring. Also a few Tbolts I need to replace the worms. Then back in a few weeks to turn up the boost and let her hang. thanks for everyone following and keeping me focused as it was well worth the wait. Just was getting frustrated. keep a look out for the new numbers with the methanol and more boost. And I promise to get vids and graphs of this trip up soon.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dyno vids are up top. Going to enjoy the 8 psi for a few weeks. Stay tuned for Arming the Methanol, and kicking up the boost to 14-15psi. Scanner is giving me issues will work on getting graphs up tommorrow.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Nice numbers!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers Congrats ..

your 8psi HP and TQ are very close to my 9psi
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

any luck getting those dyno graph's scanned?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning on bringing my car to XXX there in Pensacola when I get it all back together. Right now it's setup for speed density. Does Weeks do the LS1 tuning for them?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Andy, I still do all the GM tuning for XXX. Looking forward to seeing your car buddy, been in love with it since the GM High Tech article!

Quick Reply: It's Alive...and running great!!! DYNO VIDS UP