Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a gromet on that wiring...I used the OEM gromet just a few inches from where you drilled the hole.

Who makes your turbo again?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, its a turbonetics turbo. And yes sir, im def gonna use a gromet, I just tucked them in there to get lengths cut.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Yeeehaw daddy!!! Boosting with someone else finally!! Lol get er did KY!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Im getting there rokko, im going to finish wiring my oil pump in the morning and get this bastard down off the jack stands, of course ill let it run in the garage for probably 10 minutes to make sure i dont have any leaks, but then she is coming out
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Default TURBO BUILD DONE!!!!! except for tune :(

Well, I spent the morning wiring stuff up, finishing the catchcan setup under the hood, (freebie, so i cant complain to much) And tightening all my tbolts and changing the oil.

ITs done, I ran it for awhile in teh garage, no leaks, oil flows fine from the pump, and took her down off the jacks and took her for about a 5 mile cruise. I Simply cannot wait until the Tune happens. The whistle of turbo makes me want to cry. and not being able to boost, or enjoy my stall is killing me.

So, im likley going to have one of our own tune the vehicle, and am very excited. All gauges and pumps and stuff are working great, i over filled the vehicle with oil by about 3/4 of a quart to make sure i dont get low with the oil in the lines Hopefully tune within the next two weeks. WIsh me luck. 10lbs of boost is what we will run. I may end up getting a meth kit in the near future to make sure things stay nice and cool.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

If your doing #10 on the cast pistons get an SD tune. Hell, get an SD tune anyway. MAF is a waste of money. IMO
Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

im not sure, but i may be going SD, only because the individual im going to have tune, loves SD, and swears by it. But we will see, that will require me to get a 2bar map sensor then, and replace a piece of pipe, no big deal, im already doing the omega mod on my IAT, so it may just be the logical choice. Not being able to boost is killing me though
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

I've got a plug n play 2 bar that I'd like to get rid of. I need a 3 bar. I also need a IAT sensor so I can ditch my MAF. Maybe we can trade?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Wut r u thinking?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

We did get started tuning tonight and things are looking pretty so far. Its running pretty good and has great street manners as far as drive-ability. responds well to throttle and idles really well. Got a chance to take her up a little bit and even got to see around 2lbs of boost on the highway a couple times. If i remember correctly, we are only at 9 degrees at WOT, and AFR is staying the mid 11's. Just in the territory that has been worked on so far. The E85 smells incredible, but since i dont have a pipe on the turbo facing it out the back, we get alittle overwhelmed sometimes with exhaust. LOL. Im sure mark will elaborate further if i made a mistake in what i was saying.

I started pissing oil a couple times, i think i may have my return in a bad spot. Its directly under the oil fill neck, and i think it may be pissing out while its trying to vent. So in hinesight i may move it to the back of the driverside valve cover. hopefully this will keep it from venting out of the motor, lol.

And as was literally just decided, lol. We are going with a 2bar SD tune.

pics. The first 2 are of probably my favorite moment of the night, lo.

this is the oil return, def think i need to move it to a better place. LIKE THE OIL PAN! lol. for now ill jsut switch to the passenger side valve cover away from the other vent.

thanks for everything MARK AND RICH!!!!!

Just to elaborate, lol. i did remove the valve cover to drill and tap that hole
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

That valve cover vent is going to blow oil all over your engine under boost. I had to go to a catch can. If this is the case.....you won't need to move the oil return because air wont be pushing oil out of that spot if you switch to a catch can....

I hope you used an small orifice, .038, in your oil supply line and a check valve to prevent oil from being siphoned into your turbo after you shut the engine down. These are the mistakes that caused me to spin a rod bearing.....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
That valve cover vent is going to blow oil all over your engine under boost. I had to go to a catch can. If this is the case.....you won't need to move the oil return because air wont be pushing oil out of that spot if you switch to a catch can....

I hope you used an small orifice, .038, in your oil supply line and a check valve to prevent oil from being siphoned into your turbo after you shut the engine down. These are the mistakes that caused me to spin a rod bearing.....

I did use a check valve yes, But i was intructed to not use an oil restirictor to slow the oil down. Turbonetics told me to NOT any under circumstances use one. They said this is a journal bearing turbo and needs all the oil it can get. I have a catchcan between the throttle body and valley cover with a one way check valve so i cannot blow boost into the valley cover.

ANd your right, it absolutley pissed oil all over the place the moment i started to get into boost. So im kind of lost for the moment, Im going to just put my oil cap back on and see if the catchcan and valve cover vents will do the the trick.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I pretty much had the same setup on the passenger side. Oil drained in under the fill neck and the filter installed. Had to put the cap back on the fill neck and build a custom catch can setup. It works outstanding and can be made at home using that oil cap breather.

The catch can has a breather installed on the top, and a -8an check valve installed IN the breather. Under normal driving conditions it closes the top-filter, sealing the CC and draws a vacuum on the block. Under WOT it vents out of the PS valve cover and Valley cover to the catch can, runs down thru steel wool, and thru a preforated tube back up and out of the filter. Ther's also a check valve on the TB line to stop boost from entering. It has resolved all of my oil mist issues so far.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

excellent idea. Maybe i should find one of these check valves that fit inside the filter. hmmmmmmmm
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
I pretty much had the same setup on the passenger side. Oil drained in under the fill neck and the filter installed. Had to put the cap back on the fill neck and build a custom catch can setup. It works outstanding and can be made at home using that oil cap breather.

The catch can has a breather installed on the top, and a -8an check valve installed IN the breather. Under normal driving conditions it closes the top-filter, sealing the CC and draws a vacuum on the block. Under WOT it vents out of the PS valve cover and Valley cover to the catch can, runs down thru steel wool, and thru a preforated tube back up and out of the filter. Ther's also a check valve on the TB line to stop boost from entering. It has resolved all of my oil mist issues so far.
do you think you could maybe get me some pictures of the way its routed. Im going tuning again tonight and will likley be cleaning up oil, lol. id like to address this more asap
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

For now, the cheap way for you to prevent the oily mess is to run the OEM valley cover vent to an $6 AutoZone type radiator overflow can. This is my permanent solution..I have a very small filtered breather that I need to get back on there..

As for the restrictor??? I'm no turbo builder engineer, but even the kit companies like APS originally sent there kits out with no restrictor and had turbo failures due to oil flooding. They went back and sent restrictors to all there customers. Its because they were never designed for rear mount use where a pump has to be utilized to remove the oil. It's just too much oil....

I'm sure your not gonna take my word over Turbonetics, I wouldn't either...Just check your oil level EVERY DAY and look for huge billowing clouds of smoke when you get into boost.

On OEM front mount installs I wish I knew how they controlled the oil flow. There can't just be a free flowing oil line off the block. It'd significantly reduce pressure and starve the rest of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Rear mount gto build.   :) LQx REBUILD TO COME-catch-can-2-.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tuning tip for E85 and boost, when using a gas wide band have your tuner aim for high 10's a/f since E85 likes to be run richer than gas. Extra safety and doesn't hurt a thing.

It's also going to love more timing when you guys get around to adding it. E85 could possibly the best fuel ever for boosted street cars. Several Evo's in Vegas are daily driving on 30+ PSI.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

HOLY ****! i hadnt even checked my thread and yet for the night and did a random search for target AFR at WOT with E85 and BOOST. And guess what. MY THREAD CAME UP FIRST. lmao. THank you ZOMBIE!

We were out tuning tonight and i was wondering about this the whole time. We were hitting mid 11s all night, and it ran great. But ive also been told that a wideband on the exact same setup as mine showed one degree richer when placed in teh pipe before the turbo. Like mine is (for the time being). so im thinking i was actually running a little lean then. But none the less. thank you zombie for chiming in with that.

Now if i could just figure out why the hell i cant boost past 2psi!!!! We are going to pressure check the cold side this week and see if there is leak anywhere. I know the exhaust isnt leaking as i used double gaskets with copper impregnated silicone between all joints. That sucker is tight as can be as well.

i also need to move my wastegate refrence to the manifold instead of the turbo, that is hurting me too.

and i second the E85 could possibly be the best fuel ever for boosted cars, as there is an evo around here that runs around at about 700whp on the corn juice all day long. lol

EDIT: one more note, E85 SMELLS SO PURTY AS WELL! and it sure is smooth.

EDIT 2: I did solve my oil problem, i simply put the oil cap back on, and left the valve cover vents open. On top of that, i have a catch can between the valley cover and the throttle body, with a one way checkvalve so i cant boost into my valley cover. Working great, up to 2 psi. And every time we stopped for him to update the tune or make a change, i checked the oil. lol. Im so damn paranoid about that shurflo taking a **** on me. I want to forget its there so bad, but i find my self stopping on the side of the road to get out and see if its still running, lol

Last edited by JAX04; 06-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running the same surflo pump for at least two years and close to 10k miles now. I've thought about replacing it since they are so cheap, but I'd like to see how long one goes before failing. I got AAA so it's usually just a minor inconvenience. I'll order up a spare and keep it on the shelf.

For reference I'm at 8.7:1 comp and am at 21 degrees peak timing at 15psi. At the tq peak (5200 in my case due to converter flash) I run 17 degrees. I have accidentally run 42 degrees on 15psi for a few quick street pulls (3-4 sec 60-100), knock sensors only pulled 7-8 degrees out and I let them pull up to 10. Car pulled hard as hell and spooled super fast. I'm guessing I can go even higher on timing than I'm at now after experiencing that accident. Motor made it through just fine. Only detonated on tip in as boost built.

I usually don't like to get too greedy with timing, but my knock sensors seem to work fine so I can probably trust them to tell me when I've gone too far.

at 2psi on e85 you can run 22 degrees of timing even with 10.5:1 comp. I try to get a/f's of 12.5 to 0psi to 11.5 by 5psi and 10.8 by 10psi and keep 10.8 from there on. Cruise I target 15.5.

That tiny 61mm turbo should spool like a kenne bell blower once you get the tune done. I hope you are running a very large a/r, E85 produces way more exhaust than gasoline.

Last edited by Zombie; 06-30-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Zombie, couple questions if you dont mind. are you MAF or SD? Also, do you have any thoughts on the wideband being in the exhaust before the turbo? I know i should move it. But was wondering if you ever had it there, or do now, or what your experience with that has been.

The first thing i did was remove the filter too see if that was a restrtiction, and it didnt help at all with the boost.

And i will pass on to my tuner about the timing and AFR. that info is greatly appreciated.
I know its just for informational purposes, and i wont go Copying your tune, lol. But i will let him know that E85 likes to be rich, and loves timing. thanks again.

Last edited by JAX04; 06-30-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME