Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Changes to my setup this year / trailer for Zombie rear mount turbo saga part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
7 Second Club

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Upping the exhaust to 3" isn't a bad idea since I'm running E85 and making even more exhaust than a gas car.
After all the E85 testing I have done I would say there is quite a bit more exhaust gas volume, enough to make me want to say that 3" might help with your power output. I know I wish I could run a larger turbine housing on mine with E85 due to the amount of increased hot side back pressure but they don't make something larger than a .96 a/r for a 76GTS. I think the trade off in more potential power vs additional spool time might be worth it with E85 for you. Definitely curious on the results...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, as i am 3" pipe from the Y which right after where the cats would be on the GTO. And am going to be running E85 as well. Im currently using an ebay 3" intercooler. Im hoping to get some testing in as soon as the snow melts. Keep us updated as im sure you will

And on the personal battle with the rearmount, im right there too, im doing it mostly in part because i want it to work. If at some point i hit a road block that cant be overcome, then ill consider changing it up. But i do love the sound of the rear mount, and hope to have some great results myself. Please continue your saga ZOMBIE as this is a great tool for us newer folks that are breaking into FI. Your accomplishments, we are thankful for, and the fact that you have logged all your data for use to see. carry on.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed...my buddy is looking to go rear mount.

Chad
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zombie, I dont see any issue with running 3inch pipe work. Stealth uses 3 inch exhaust and cold side on his rear mount C5 and with a 402 it works AMAZING! be intresting to see how much you can gain with these mods. have you any idea on the EGT att he turbo for the setup at present? It would be intresting to see if the coated and wrapped exhaust could hold more heat than just the wrapped.... also great idea with the blanket!

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ninetres
You serious lol? K.
stay out of his thread!!! lol
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As always you've got some good practical R&D going on.

You'll see some benefit but it's still probably a hot side turbo choke out issue. Have you checked back pressure at all? Even with the stubby down pipe it's probably still higher than the 2.5+ range. It be interesting to know how much additional exhaust is generate when compared to the 25-30% additional fuel volume for E85.

I hit the wall at 19-20 psi with the ST80 on the 402CI front mount TTI race kit. The kit is 2.5" cross over and 3.5" down pipe. It's 3" on the cold side. This would be 80s degrre days and lower altitude when we race here in Michigan. The bigger SX80 turbine wheel and housing improvements will give you some help on the back pressure issue but that additional E85 exhaust volume and altitude might be that 4 PSI choke point difference between the cars.

Good luck and keep having fun with the car.

Rick
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to a bigger hotside and that combined with your bigger piping you will see HUGE gains. I was going to do the exact same with my rear mount STS setup, but I figured I could do a front mount myself for the same price. So that's the route Im going with. But good luck! I look forward to the results. It'll be significant.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
Go to a bigger hotside and that combined with your bigger piping you will see HUGE gains. I was going to do the exact same with my rear mount STS setup, but I figured I could do a front mount myself for the same price. So that's the route Im going with. But good luck! I look forward to the results. It'll be significant.
I can't go to a bigger hot side and remain T4, I'm using the biggest one available right now, 1.25 a/r. I also didn't get any gains going from my 1.00 a/r 83 mm turbine to my 1.25 a/r 87mm turbine and adding a race cover to the comp. My guess is that my i/c piping is holding me back.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading some published SAE articles from various university R&D tests. Some people are using stainless steel on the hot side because stainless retains the heat better. I know its pricey, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Subscribed i have a couple customers wanting to do what you have done
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
I've been reading some published SAE articles from various university R&D tests. Some people are using stainless steel on the hot side because stainless retains the heat better. I know its pricey, but it might be worth looking into.
Yeah, stainless does hold heat better, but for the cost difference I don't know if it's worth it over mild steel that is coated/wrapped.

More money than I'd be willing to spend though.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Nice to see some practical R&D for the rear mount setup. It seams that with the rear mount setups people see more results from changes in piping material, diameter and coatings/wraps than traditional kits show.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Default sts stuff

yes stainless does hold heat better.. but its also 3 or 5 times the weight.. you would add 70+lbs to your car doing that..... My 3 foot charge pipe was 4" stainless and was 13lbs !... new aluminum is less then 1 ... I know you have and brang on that Z06 camshaft but what valve springs??... I have found that to be the issue on alot of things... I have been working on testing with Two 44mm Gates for a year and half now... My backpressure is less then 30psi on 18.5lbs of boost with bolth gates open... But my truck would not pull clean past 6200 with just one... I think thats because of OLD old valve springs... and dual wastegates is just a bandaid... But it will help the top end but there are a list of things that suck about running dual gates on a single turbo also... As far as going Front mount...... It never really does cross my mind !.. I am proud of the few rear mount guys that test to make these things work ! there is no chance of me changing anytime soon People tell me going front mount is the awnser all the time.. I think racing a truck that isnt 4550lbs would be their First on that list ??

Quick Reply: Changes to my setup this year / trailer for Zombie rear mount turbo saga part 2