Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BMR k-frame issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR k-frame issues....

I went to bolt up my "turbo" k-frame to the poly engine mounts (mounted to the engine) last night, and the holes do not align. I can bolt up one side just fine, but the holes on the mount pillar of the kframe are off by about 1/2 inch from aligning with the "through bolt" on the other mount.

I suppose it could be forced on with the use of a pry bar, but is this normal?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the mounts turned correctly?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
8 Second Club

i had a similar issue with mine and the mounts were correct. i used a pry bar and never had any issues.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used a come along on mine, my motor shifted back a little and i was unable to use a pry bar
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Do you have the mounts turned correctly?
I've swapped the mounts left to right, just to make sure that I wasn't missing something stupid. Also, when I put the polly centers into the "clamshell" of the mount, I was as cautious as I could be to make sure that they were correct. It just seems like an excessive amount to be "off", but it looks like I'm not the first one to experience this problem. The engine is currently on a stand, so it might be a bit difficult to use a come-a-long, but I guess I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Make it fit, it will be ok.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

We just had the same issues with a bmr turbo k-member we just put in my 99 ta. There were also issues with a-arm fitment. I must say I am very disappointed with BMR's quality these days.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racer383
We just had the same issues with a bmr turbo k-member we just put in my 99 ta. There were also issues with a-arm fitment. I must say I am very disappointed with BMR's quality these days.
With what it cost me for this piece, I want be sure that it is fitting PROPERLY as it should. If this fitment issue is normal, that's one thing...if it is simply a defect or manufacturing error, I'll be calling BMR to try and get the issue resolved. I just want to know what I'm dealing with (defect/normal) before I call BMR.

Any idea what the center-to-center measurement between the mount tower holes SHOULD be (measuring from left mount to right mount)?

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

you shouldnt have to do anything like that to get it to fit. almost sounds like a "springing" issue when it comes of the jig. if I spend 500 on something,then get told I need to put a come along on it to make it work I would be furious. something isnt right if you guys are doing that to make it fit. my umi k-member has been on/off a few times. only thing I have ever had to use was a drift punch to get the bolts to line up.

I would contact bmr.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by needaz28
you shouldnt have to do anything like that to get it to fit. almost sounds like a "springing" issue when it comes of the jig. if I spend 500 on something,then get told I need to put a come along on it to make it work I would be furious. something isnt right if you guys are doing that to make it fit. my umi k-member has been on/off a few times. only thing I have ever had to use was a drift punch to get the bolts to line up.

I would contact bmr.
i actually spend 700+ because i have the turbo version

i had to use the come along because my motor shifted back with the transmission when i was using the engine jack, not because the k member was not built properly.

so i installed a couple of bolts in the engine block hooked up the come along and lifter the motor up a little with an engine jack. i did not use the come along to bend the k member or anything like that. the bmr peace is pretty well made and everything lined up perfectly after that.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

oh, ok.... I guess I misunderstood that.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Teching In

I don't have the turbo K-member but I had the same issues when I put poly engine mounts in too. When I removed the stock rubber mounts there wasent a whole lot left of them, wich would cause things not to sit right from the get go. So when I installed the new mounts it realligned things like they use too. Helps if you loosen the tranny mount to help things move around a bit better.

Last edited by smashmetal; 02-07-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: werds
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by elias_799
i actually spend 700+ because i have the turbo version

i had to use the come along because my motor shifted back with the transmission when i was using the engine jack, not because the k member was not built properly.

so i installed a couple of bolts in the engine block hooked up the come along and lifter the motor up a little with an engine jack. i did not use the come along to bend the k member or anything like that. the bmr peace is pretty well made and everything lined up perfectly after that.
Agreed about the price thing, I have the turbo version as well. But keep in mind that I'm trying to bolt this thing on to an engine that is hanging on an engine stand with nothing else to contend with as far as things getting in the way.

This should bolt on with no problems, right? I just don't want to be misinformed, and give BMR a bunch of crap for nothing when I call.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I would just call BMR and let them know whats going on. They have always been cool with any issues i have ever had with them.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by salemetro
Agreed about the price thing, I have the turbo version as well. But keep in mind that I'm trying to bolt this thing on to an engine that is hanging on an engine stand with nothing else to contend with as far as things getting in the way.

This should bolt on with no problems, right? I just don't want to be misinformed, and give BMR a bunch of crap for nothing when I call.
If you start one bolt on one side in the hole the other is only 1/2 inch off? If I sent aftermarket parts back that only needed a prybar to take care of I would not ever get anything done. Im sure your k-member was built on the same jig everyone else's was, its just alittle off.

Last edited by black98ws6ta; 02-08-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

yea, if the motor is on a stand it should go in with no problems.

but when you install it, install the clamshells (motor mounts) on to the block first and then the k member to the clamshell. this way you only need to align two holes instead of 8

good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Guys just saw this thread today....

Give me a call here at the office and I can help you diagnose what the problem might be.

We build around 50 of these a week off of the same jigs, actually it's even the same guy welding them it's his full time job

I am sure we can figure out what the issue is with yours.....
Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
If you start one bolt on one side in the hole the other is only 1/2 inch off? If I sent aftermarket parts back that only needed a prybar to take care of I would not ever get anything done. Im sure your k-member was built on the same job everyone else's was, its just alittle off.
So far, I've had issues in the last 2 years with defective high-dollar parts from Calmini, Spohn, and a couple of others....and we're not talking about minor defects. Some were really cool/understanding to deal with, one in particular was not. I saw the reply here from BMR, and I definitely appreciate the pro-active reply. I just want to make sure that I'm not the one that has screwed up here and made my own problem.

To BMR: What is the measurement from center mount hole (driver side) to center mount hole (passenger side) supposed to be? Maybe this info will help me get to the bottom of this more quickly.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So far, I've had issues in the last 2 years with defective high-dollar parts from Calmini, Spohn, and a couple of others....and we're not talking about minor defects. Some were really cool/understanding to deal with, one in particular was not. I saw the reply here from BMR, and I definitely appreciate the pro-active reply. I just want to make sure that I'm not the one that has screwed up here and made my own problem.

To BMR: What is the measurement from center mount hole (driver side) to center mount hole (passenger side) supposed to be? Maybe this info will help me get to the bottom of this more quickly.

Thanks for your help.

The bolt hole measurement from the outside of one side to the inside of the other (same as center to center but much easier to read on a tape) is 15 1/16"
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

I installed my BMR TURBO k member today! I have stock motor mounts and the blots went is no problem. I Did have an issue withe the two big back holes( short bolts) on the k member not lining up?

Quick Reply: BMR k-frame issues....