Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

o2 sensors in cross over or downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run one in the down pipe and have it speed density tuned. your in conn. close to slowhawk performance he did a good job tuning my turbo car
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Narrow bands can be before or after the turbo. Wide bands MUST be after the turbo.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

1 O2...a wideband....in the DP.

Tune it open loop, speed density.

Enjoy.

That is how I tuned mine, and it runs like a striped *** ape.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

To be honest I might do it that way. Im going to talk to my tuner about it. Luckily my emissions is due a month after my re-registration so if I don't go to emissions at all im hit with a 20$ fine and I just won't be able to re-register in 2 years..and in 2 years I can fail, RE register and go for another 2 years. After that im SOL..but im sure ill have something new by then.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Most states have a loophole that says if your cost of repairs to get the car to pass IM is over X amount they will just pass you. In Alaska its 500$. So you would need a shop to write you up an estimate and show that to the referee.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Its 660 in CT. I won't even need to get that done for at least 4 years. My friend runs an emissions shop. I bought a jeep on this reg for a month then switched reg to the 350z..so usually emissions and reg are due at the same time in this case they aren't. My emissions is due a month later. So I can reg. the car and not even go to emissions and get slapped with a 20$ fine 2 years down the road for not doing the initial test. Then 2 years from now ill need to get tested and pass or fail I can re-reg the car for another 2 years. After that two years is up(4 years from now) then ill have to either pass for get a waiver.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

I wish our IM system was like that, I believe we go by CA laws even though we have no pollution at all
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

you do not need ANY o2 sensors to pass emissions..

I honestly dont know anyone that actually runs narrowbands anymore... they are only good for throwing off a good tune, or causing un-needed headaches for those that sit down and make sure its "perfect".

I dont get how you would want to throw away a maf sensor, yet would not want to throw away the most useless sensor on your motor.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in PA the simplest loophole in the inspection process is to simply hide your OBD2 port somewhere under the dash where it can't be seen. Worked to get my turbo v6 eclipse through inspection with an aftermarket ECU.

If it's a street driven car you're gonna want the narrowbands on both banks (pre-turbo) if you want to utilize closed loop and achieve decent fuel economy. For a track car, ditch the O2s and run open loop.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Here in PA the simplest loophole in the inspection process is to simply hide your OBD2 port somewhere under the dash where it can't be seen. Worked to get my turbo v6 eclipse through inspection with an aftermarket ECU.

If it's a street driven car you're gonna want the narrowbands on both banks (pre-turbo) if you want to utilize closed loop and achieve decent fuel economy. For a track car, ditch the O2s and run open loop.
Its a summer car that will be beat on most of the time its running. Fuel economy and 83lbs injectors/88mm turbo don't really mix well.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SKINNY69

if you want to utilize closed loop and achieve decent fuel economy. For a track car, ditch the O2s and run open loop.
I get 2-5mpg better in my dd running open loop. I dont care about the environment much, so I run 16-17:1 afr at cruise (while still holding full timing)... and this is only possible in open loop.

I also have tried running stoich in open loop, and it very rarely strays from mid/high 14's on the wideband.

Fuel economy and 83lbs injectors/88mm turbo don't really mix well.
The design of the fancy new injectors are MUCH better than old design stock GM injectors. When I went from stock injectors to the motoron 60's, I gained MPG. I can only imagine that due to the similar spray pattern the 80's would perform the same. The turbo when out of boost also offers a MPG boost... so I would say you would not have issues seeing HIGH 20's mpg highway.

Bad information like that is how baseless rumors turn into fact, without anyone actually knowing anything.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
I get 2-5mpg better in my dd running open loop. I dont care about the environment much, so I run 16-17:1 afr at cruise (while still holding full timing)... and this is only possible in open loop.

I also have tried running stoich in open loop, and it very rarely strays from mid/high 14's on the wideband.

The design of the fancy new injectors are MUCH better than old design stock GM injectors. When I went from stock injectors to the motoron 60's, I gained MPG. I can only imagine that due to the similar spray pattern the 80's would perform the same. The turbo when out of boost also offers a MPG boost... so I would say you would not have issues seeing HIGH 20's mpg highway.

Bad information like that is how baseless rumors turn into fact, without anyone actually knowing anything.

Sorry I should of added "lead foot" to the equation. Anyways, im using modified injectors from FIC. On the flow chart it says EV14 52 to 83 which im guessing means they started out life as 52#ers.

Quick Reply: o2 sensors in cross over or downpipe?