Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good good!
told ya that 2.5 x0ver would make a good improvement.
are you still on the T60-1 or did you switch to a T76 yet?

only thing about that X0ver is the bent looks like a 90 joint, instead of a smooth bend, you might get a better flow path if you used a manderal bend like mine withs with a short path.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I`m still on the 60-1 untill i max it out. The mandrel bends i ordered were supose to be 2.5inX90* from summit but instead they sent me 3inX90*. I`m extremly impatient so i just pieced it together the best i could i`ll replace the bends when i get the new ones. When i look through the pipes it`s pretty smooth so hopfully it`ll flow decent for now.

Last edited by MYTURBOT/A; 12-29-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

rob, not at my expense.

myturbo.. what you did is lower your exhaust backpressure, which makes it easier for the wastegate to function correctly as well as making it easier for the turbo to do its job... too much pressure can/will stall the turbine and give you boost loss at high rpm's. and since you increased the volume of the pressure vessel, you decreased the pressure inside it. thats what i think anyways... how the spool up time improved is beyond me still but hey whatever works.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Mightymouse - Glad your trying to give them away when they belong to me. And it wasn't at your expense. You were supposed to have sent them back with the other extra parts, but didn't. I deducted the shipping amount from the shipping of your kit which we never billed you for.
If that wasn't the case, I would have just sent a call tag for them. Those crossover pipes cost about $300 each. So I would suggest you make some type of arrangement to get them back to me asap. Especially since you've finally admitted to having them publicly.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

I think the the spool up is better not because the 2in pipe was to small, but because of all the bends in it. If i routed the 2in pipe the way i have it now i`m sure it would spool as fast as the 2.5 in. But in my opinion the car would still suffer at high RPMs Because of the small (2in) piping. My main concern right now is top end HP. I want the car to pull as hard up top as it does at 3000-4500rpm instead of gradualy falling flat on it`s face the more RPMs you pull.
unfortnatly now i have another problem. The car just started sputtering real bad when you mash the gas and surges really bad on WOT all the way up through the RPMs like i`m missing on a few cylinders. Hooked A-tap up and everything looks great o2s look good no KR i`m getting full timing. I`m not getting any misfires at WOT but i don`t know if the computer reads misfires at WOT? I am getting a few while cruising so i`ll pull the plugs and see whats up. Damn it. It never ends.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Check the plug wires on the driver side. They have a tendency to burn through underneath from the heat of the manifold.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

oohh i forgot you have a manual with pipes going up front and back around.. yea that sucked..i remember having lots of fun with those on mine back in the day before i sold it to cablebandit. the welding looks good to me.. for fun see if you can cram a 3" log pipe in there now THAT would be something. HAHA... hey you ought to get with george on looking for a second hand 76 to put on that thing

rob i owe you NOTHING.. stop flaming and now threatening me... your last reply was completely off topic and should if necessary been pm'd to me.. you know the pipes are no good.. and you know you don't want them.. if you were hot after them at all then how come this is the first i hear about it since i installed them in the beginning of march... next i got to pay for the calendar you sent me i didn't pay for as well? or we could just call the install/uninstall/reinstall/uninstall/reinstall i did with all the bad parts about $300 and call it a day. goodness man if you have 'washed your hands of the situation' then leave me alone!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Our kit has made more HP and TQ than any other F-Body kit available.
So calculate all you want with theories. These are the FACTS."

Congrats on the above Rob... I hope to change that though.
It would greatly appreciate it if everyone with a turbo kit in the works just stops where they are and waits for me to catch up .
Old 12-29-2003, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

The only problem with the crossover pipes was that Stainless Works welded the O2 fittings in the wrong location. That was all, and they can be repaired easily. And you DO need to return them to me. In fact, I will send you a UPS call tag so that it won't be at your expense. And that's not a "threat". If it was a threat, you would know it.

I think you and your "posse" have flamed me enough that I can comment publicly when you announce publicly that you are willing to give away MY crossover pipes. Pipes that you DID NOT PAY FOR. If you feel I owe you something, take it up legally.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

MM- You have a PM as well.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=MIGHTYMOUSE]oohh i forgot you have a manual with pipes going up front and back around.. yea that sucked..i remember having lots of fun with those on mine back in the day before i sold it to cablebandit. the welding looks good to me.. for fun see if you can cram a 3" log pipe in there now THAT would be something. HAHA... hey you ought to get with george on looking for a second hand 76 to put on that thing

I get real board at night so don`t be surprised if I Fab up a bigger log or, Can you say header style manifold I love fabrication work and i`ve already spent hours under the car trying to figure out how to get the header to fit. It`s only a matter of time.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

The car seems to be running fine again. I pulled all the plugs cleaned them up regaped and checked all the wires. Does anyone think the air inlet on the turbo is a restriction or has anyone had problems with the rubber elbow collapsing?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
Eventually, the debate will begin as to why the QMP aftercooler doesn't reduce outlet temps below ambient like the others do....lol
LOL! I forgot about that one. BWahahahahhaa! Thanks, onfire!

Hey Rob... Are you beating your head against a rock again? Tsk tsk...

SC-
Old 12-30-2003, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

i paid for one good one.. why in the hell would i pay for 2 more bad ones? you're funny

please dont think this thing is in mint condition and you can sell it as new, i did drive the car while i was waiting for the third one and the one i have left might even be the one the weld broke on and blew off when i was at the track.. got kinda twisted up when it drug down the racetrack.. i'll send you a photo next few days to make sure you want it.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

or how about sealing off the back end of the log and some how squeezing the crossover up over the k member and into a new housing flange y'd with the log.

did you put a shorty header on the pass side too?

are you running a bov? some of those connections like to pop apart on ya comming off of boost.. if the maf isnt getting the correct air through it it will run right terrible.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so let me get this straight. If you do something wrong, but there is nothing else out there to compare it to, "it's not a problem"???? Hmmm...more great reasoning from you.
George wasn't "wrong" for putting it there. He had reasons.. I posted the main one that he told me.

...And dumping it after all 8 cylinders WOULDN'T release a ton of backpressure???
Of course it would. On a tubular style set-up, with both banks "Y'ing" together, putting the wastegate after all 8 cylinders is the better way of doing it. George didn't make a "Race" kit the first time.... it was a "street" kit with "Street kit" limitations. He knew that, and still explains to possible customers of his before they buy the street kit. A race kit designed by George will be properly set-up and more than capable of race numbers.

Also, can you tell us exactly where all of this exhaust gas is "congesting" in the log manifold
Right after the crossover but before the turbo

So we all understand you correctly...you are saying that with the TT kit all of the backpressure from the passenger side of the engine can be relieved through the incorrectly located wastegate, but the driver side of the engine cannot since the wastegate is before those 4 cylinders?? Wow....that's exactly right. We finally agree on something.
It is a system as a whole, as i have said before.... you have a "E" shaped balloon, you pop a whole in it, does it not lower the pressure in all of the arms of the "E" ? or just right infront of the hole? Note.. the instantaneous pressures throughout the entire shape are not exactly the same... but pretty close, and close enough to not matter.
Plus that 40mm wastegate isn't like an open header. It is still restrictive.

I then added over 200lbs to the car, took away 30 cubic inches, put on our complete production kit and went a tenth quicker and gained 2mph in the 1/4. So what's your point?
Added FAST, better heads, a T-88, all the larger tubing to fit it(so not production kit), huge intercooler(also not in the production kit), a better stall, etc..

There doesn't have to be a dent in it. Only if you want to be able to steer the car, that's all. Wow, now that you point it out, imagine how much more power our kit would make without that restrictive dent!
Probably a fraction as much as it would without that log manifold

But guess what...I have TIMESLIPS!!! 141mph timeslips! You calculate it out genius and let me know what YOU come up with.
Yea i know about those.... i put my car's weight in (you know 7,000lbs.).... damn i am making some serious power with only a cam

Is that the best you can do is point out that the 120,000 mile stock valve springs are too weak to hold high rpm HP?
I wasn't saying they were weak, what i meant was the same as i have said a hundred times before. Valvesprings are not going to fix the problem, might help a little but won't fix it. That graph drops off for the same reason as Shawn's, Warbird, MM, Ws6Rufus... heck all of them except for yours... interesting.

Maybe you should email Precision Turbo and ask them why the largest AR exhaust housing they offer for their T74 is a .85?
Because on a properly flowing turbo kit, .85 is sufficient. Your trying to offset the early hp drop by using a larger A/R to move the peak up.

The way I see it, MyTurboT/A was appreciative of my help before you jumped in and started your usual ranting/stabbing.
I ask all the mods to read my first response to MYTURBOT/A. There was nothing in there that could be labeled as ranting or stabbing. I was doing what this whole board is all about. Replying with what i know/have experienced/or was told by someone who designed the kit, George.

I then ask them to read your reply. I see you getting very defensive and taking stabs at me with comments like this:
don't think it's a good idea to recommend the wrong thing to someone just because you are trying to make a point to me. Especially when between the two of us, I'm the only one that has real experience with both WG locations on an LS1.
Of course it would be better if he had a tubular turbo manifold. Have you actually ever tried to build one to fit the F-Body??? And then fit the "Y" pipe also??
And MYTURBOT/A.... good work on the crossover.... I commend you for doing the changes yourself and for posting the results/pics up. Definitely keep going, i think everyone will be interested in hearing how things improve as you make changes. I also apologize for having these huge replies in your post.

-Jarrod
Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Mightymouse, I`m still on the stock manifold. i thought about caping off the end of the log, switching to a manual steering rack so i could ditch the P/S pump then Y in the crossover and wastegate at the flange but i wonder how well the log would flow without the pass side exhaust kinda directing the flow into the turbo.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

OH....THAT"S RIGHT! I forgot...we sent you a 2.25" band clamp with the kit for the crossover and you called back saying that it wouldn't fit. Even though it fit (and still fits) every other one of our kits. You said it needed to be a 2.5" clamp, I told you that was too big, but you disagreed and basically wouldn't take no for an answer. So we sent you a 2.5" clamp, you put it on and went to the track and blew the crossover pipe off. BECAUSE THE CLAMP WAS TOO BIG! So what did I do? Sent you a new crossover pipe anyway, FREE! EVEN THOUGH IT WAS YOUR FAULT!!!! And you were supposed to have sent the old ones back to me, were you not? Or did you PAY for the other two??

Whatever MM. Nothing ever works for you and it's always somebody else's fault. How many engines/heads have you had ARE do now? Were they right? How many times did you send your Pro5.0 shifter back to Pro5.0?? So many times that they finally refunded all of your money and told you to never buy their parts again! How many wastegates did you need for your turbo kit? How many Turbo's? How many crossover pipes? How many boost controllers?? HOW MANY TURBO KITS IN GENERAL THAT DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU??? See a pattern here?

Anyway, just keep the crossovers, or give them away, or whatever. I could never possibly recover from the damage you've caused me anyway. You should be happy to hear that....
Old 12-30-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

exactly.. keep the crossovers.. i knew you just needed to rant some more

i told you my car is haunted.. you should have listened to me
Old 12-30-2003, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

RICE ETR, go away. Don't you have something better to do? Like prove the laws of physics don't apply to your intercooler and that they really can be lower than ambient??? I think you summed up your "knowledge" when you made that statement...and then actually tried to argue it!

You are both a big waste of my time. I'm sorry I bothered to reply again.

Quick Reply: Wastegate location?