Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

who out there is running an FMU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who out there is running an FMU?

I know some people hate FMU's but i was wondering who out there is running them and what brand they have. I am new to the whole turbo scene and the FMU that was on my car took a crap and now i need to get a new one. I think it had a crappy one on it in the first place and i wanted to get a better one if i was going to run one again. I am gonna have the car tuned in Indy soon but don't i have to have a way for them to add more fuel?? I just have a stock regulator and stock fuel injectors so won't the tuner need some way to add the fuel that it needs?? Thanks to anyone who chims in...
Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of power adder do you have on your car? An FMU is basically a band aid approach to a tune, there is no way to retard the timing, and it is much easier to hurt your engine with an FMU. To get a proper tune you're going to need larger fuel injectors and possibly a larger fuel pump. Bob
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

The car has a rear mount turbo and just a stock LT1. The car has stock 22lbs injectors and it used to have an FMU but it took a crap. I do have a new set of 30lbs. injectors though that i want to put in. I was thinking about getting an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure reg. and putting the 30lbs. injectors in and getting a tune. Does that sound like a better route than the FMU? Also do you think the aeromotive reg. is a good idea or a waste of time? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Oh yea, I also installed a walbro 255 fuel pump...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I had an Fmu with 30 psi injectors and and a single walbro intank, Front mount t70 at the time, the reason why I removed it is because it was going over 100psi fuel pressure, kinda high, so I decided to take it off, Since then I got 60# injectors a secondary external walbro, aeromotive universal regulator, braided lines instead of the original nylon, and I am now working on the tune, I have also converted to a 2 bar sensor so that way it gets enough fuel. I would say ditch the FMU and try to get a good tune, how much boost were you running? and do you have any #s? good luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

It's running about 5-6 lbs of boost. How much fuel pressure are you running with that regulator?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

About 45 fuel psi, but it is a boost reference regulator so it goes up 1 psi of fuel with 1 psi of boost so with 15 psi boost right about 60 psi fuel. And I think you might be ok with 30 psi injectors at that level of boost, as long as you get the right tune to go with it.

Quick Reply: who out there is running an FMU?