Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3l vs 6.0l for turbo build..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Who builds a turbo engine to run good off boost?
<-----not this guy
Well I live in a typical size city about couple hundred thousand people. In the old days like thirty years ago when I was like 20..yes I am 52 now we could have some fun in town with our cars. We could race from light to light. Speed thru town and the fines were so small it was a joke and most times the police just told us to go home. We went out of town a few miles and had 1/4 mile marked. No problems. Then times changed, Fast and stupid furious movies came out, Ricers did their stupid going 100mph down main street and other dumb things. People died, pedestrians died,young high school kids thinking they were hot **** in their hondas died.Laws got way tougher.Speeding up here is now about same as baby killing .They have strict street racing laws,impound,huge fines,jail time.
They have red light cameras,green light cameras in some cities too, photoradar,lots and lots of ghost chargers and lots of regular police on traffic duty with no mercy attitudes.
So really when can your average city guy in this day and age put their cars into this boost all the time. To make boost you generally have to put the pedal down. And when the boost comes on you go pretty fast usually! Like instant go to jail fast in a 500 plus rwhp car.
So really most of the time I am hardly ever in boost around town, a few pounds hit here and there , a bit of playing in industrial areas but that is even going to sooner or later get me in big trouble almost had my luck run out last year.

So having a car that is reall nice and torquey and has power off boost is also a good thing. YMMV!

Anyway a 5.3 is still a v8 and won't be that bad for turbo lag or that torqueless.

And really I still enjoy driving my little 2.0 and 2.4 talons too and maybe cause it is so very impressive to go from like 150 hp off boost to 600 on. And it is kinda cool to rev the little lawnmower engines to 8500 in a blink of an eye.

And on race track then don't matter as much if the car is torqueless or gutless at lower rpms. You leave at high rpm and use two steps and antilags or two steps and good stall on the auto and you have good boost and power
off the line.

Anyway sorry about the ranting. And you can of course go very fast with just about any size engine with enough boost going thru it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lq4powereds13
haha thanks for the info guys, ended up buying a 07 5.3l l59 with 15k on it for a pretty good deal. Not going to push it too hard until i pick up a extra block to build anyways. Would it be better to go with a custom cam spec'd out by pat g or say the tu0 from speed inc? A little extra lag will most likely help me hook in my light 240sx anyways.
:facepalm:

Lag should never be used as a replacement for properly set up suspension. And light cars will spin less, as they are easier to move forward.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres

Lag should never be used as a replacement for properly set up suspension. And light cars will spin less, as they are easier to move forward.
Never said that i would be using it as a replacement for properly set up suspension. Now that i re-read my post it wasn't the smartest thing to say. But any info on which cam to go with?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

For the prices of the 5.3's(at least around here) you can't beat them for 550rwhp, just add a cam/springs/pushrods and go. 145k miles on my last 5.3, taking a beating like no other with well over 600rwhp when it was in my buddies car. No rod bolts, no head studs, and stock 5.3 heads. I just picked up two more 5.3's and after selling off the my old one and the extra parts on the new ones I got that I don't need I'll have less than $100 in both motors, it's hard to beat that.

As far as the pistons being weak, it's ALL IN THE TUNEUP. I just tore mine down after I had a cheap stall converter balloon and kill the thurst bearing. The pistons/rings/rods, and rod bearings looked PERFECT. If you have a junk tune(espcially on crap gas)then yes you are going to break parts, even good parts.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 PM
9 Second Club

I am a fan of reverse splits for turbo cars. I'm about to watch a movie so I can;t compare specs of the ones you asked about. I would have Shawn at VA speed get you a cam. He seems to know his **** with turbo LS platforms. He offers some nice ones off the shelf, or cam custom grind you one.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not?? I have a 4-link chassis car and when I had a higher stall I had little to no lag.... Unleashing 600+ whp on the street all at once wasnt that practical.. Different converter and I had a bit more lag...nothing drastic but it helped a lot. I think my best 60ft at the track spraying a 50 shot was 1.55 , on the street it worked pretty damn good.

Off boost my 5.3 is a dog....about as quick as my 96 tahoe.

And what I was refering to as a 5.3 being stronger than a 6.0 was the top surface of the piston... the smaller area will have more structural integrity than a larger one.... how much?? who knows? Enough to matter?? maybe not... but it is what it is.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Why not?? I have a 4-link chassis car and when I had a higher stall I had little to no lag.... Unleashing 600+ whp on the street all at once wasnt that practical.. Different converter and I had a bit more lag...nothing drastic but it helped a lot. I think my best 60ft at the track spraying a 50 shot was 1.55 , on the street it worked pretty damn good.

Off boost my 5.3 is a dog....about as quick as my 96 tahoe.

And what I was refering to as a 5.3 being stronger than a 6.0 was the top surface of the piston... the smaller area will have more structural integrity than a larger one.... how much?? who knows? Enough to matter?? maybe not... but it is what it is.
I wouldnt brag about a turbo/nitrous LS car running 1.55 60's. Good suspension should handle that. And I am not talking about "unleashing 600hp" on the street as thats not a good idea no matter how great your suspension set up is.

And you shouldn't need extra "lag" to get your 600 HP car to hook. Good suspension should handle that. If lag was a good answer for spinning out of the hole what do you think people with 900rwhp do? Add even more lag!?!?!! No.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I am not talking about "unleashing 600hp" on the street as thats not a good idea no matter how great your suspension set up is.
There is a local turbo car here that has put down 1200rwhp, and hooks VERY well on the street. Knee high wheelies coming of the TB.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldnt brag about a turbo/nitrous LS car running 1.55 60's.
Right... its horrible....thats my point. I find it difficult to cut like a 1.3 on an unprepped city street.... never had the need to. Its got 29.5 tires and 3.50 gears... lol. That and some lag....the 1.55 is actually asking a lot out of a mostly stock 5.3 @ 3660 lbs
Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow67
There is a local turbo car here that has put down 1200rwhp, and hooks VERY well on the street. Knee high wheelies coming of the TB.
One a very well prepped road I'm sure. I never said it isn't do-able......I said it just isn;t a good idea, for safety concerns. Going WOT on public roads with 600+hp, let alone 1200hp, cars is just not a great idea. The rate of accelleration puts you at real high speeds in just a few seconds. Add in a spool that a lot of these cars have and you have an issue with staying straight due to the crowns in the road.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

One a very well prepped road I'm sure. I never said it isn't do-able......I said it just isn;t a good idea, for safety concerns. Going WOT on public roads with 600+hp, let alone 1200hp, cars is just not a great idea. The rate of accelleration puts you at real high speeds in just a few seconds. Add in a spool that a lot of these cars have and you have an issue with staying straight due to the crowns in the road.
Now if you had a little lag that would correct your problem. I can run mine on any unprepped road...and it runs almost the same as the track.. It hazes the tires a bit when shifting though. Would I rather have lag and control....or a worthless car with power that I cant even get on it on the street?? Hmmmm.... tough one to call for a daily driver street car.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

I am a fan of reverse splits for turbo cars. I'm about to watch a movie so I can;t compare specs of the ones you asked about. I would have Shawn at VA speed get you a cam. He seems to know his **** with turbo LS platforms. He offers some nice ones off the shelf, or cam custom grind you one.
Thanks ill check them out.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lq4powereds13
Trying to decide which way i want to go Ive found a 90k mile lq4 i can pick up for about 800 or a 50k mile 5.3l lm7 i can pick up for around 650-700. Which would be better for a whp goal of 550? Whichever i go with will have katech rod bolts, arp head studs, speed inc tu1 cam, 317 heads with proper valve springs for the cam, 60lb injectors, ls6 intake, new oil pump and timing chain, and custom front mount t76. Will i be able to achieve the goals easier with the lq4? Thanks for any input ya have. Will be going in my 240 hb with a 4l80e stalled.
guys on here will say "bigger is better" and it's true if you plan on replacing internals. i noticed you chose to go with the 5.3. good choice if you don't plan on replacing internals immediately. 5.3L have dished pistons already. lower compression is always better for boost. i'm sure you'll find people on here saying you can build a boost motor on 10:1 cr and they're not wrong, but most normal people can't afford to build it that way.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Launching!

This thread can give you a headache. The man asked about 5.3 vs 6.0 stock. Not a ******* 408. If you plan to just keep swaping stock motors with minor upgrades i would go with a 5.3. 5.3 dish pistons with 317 heads and you can run way more boost safely and make more power than the 6.0. Now this is STOCK internals vs stock internals.

Quick Reply: 5.3l vs 6.0l for turbo build..