Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Questions

I have a G-Trim Vortech kit I'm going to be installing in about a month or less and just wanted everyones input on which route to go for the Intercooler. I was planning on doing a custom front mount and already bought custom IC tubing from another member.

Basically the tubing will be routed down through were the OEM battery is located (basically the only spot to run it) and everyone on here that has done a custom FMIC with their vortechs have routed theirs the same way.

Since the G-Trim is a smaller blower I am thinking the less pipe I have to run the better (so it won't run out of "breath" to soon) I haven't seen many guys run a same side inlet, outlet FMIC and was wondering how efficent it would be?

I have talked to Delta and he runs a same side with his G-Trim his set-up and it is extremely efficent. Also, in hope to see around 8 pounds of boost (with the extra piping) many people have mentioned running a 2.95" or 2.75" pulley, any reccomendations.

Others have also said an air to air IC set up with the G-Trim would end up being less efficent than going water to air route (because of all the extra piping) I still am considering fabbing up an air/water IC with the piping I have. I am just looking for some input, and am curious what others have run with their G-Trim set ups now, and if they had the units in the past. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks everyone
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

the a/w intercooler will be more efficient,i have seen the difference in intake temps.

if you have the money go a/w but you have to remember that youll need to keep cool(ice) water in it which isnt a big deal to me but who knows what situation you might end up in- long trips or something

but then again at only 8 lbs it might not even be an issue(i dont recall seeing your setup)
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Basically, my Trans Am is a strictly bolt-on car (long tubes, 3" true duals, 160 stat, underdrive pulley kit, ported MAF, TB, SLP lid and other free mods) thats why I decided to go with the G-trim because it is best suited for a basically stock or bolt-on LS1.

I'd really like to go with the air-air set up just because I have all of IC tube pre fabbed up and ready to bolt an intercooler up. I'm just worried I won't see the boost im looking for after running all the tubing. I'd also at least need to go with the 2.95" pulley or the 2.75" to get close. I don't want to overspin my blower too much beyond it's limits so I'm really up in the air here.

I have a pic of the IC tubing heres the link https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=14269

Let me know if you have any other ideas/suggestions. Its nice to get everyones input before making another purchase decision.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

air to water is only more efficient if it is iced down. They are about the same otherwise. If its a street car, air to air is generally more realistic.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Yea my TA is street only. It's my weekend warrior

Quick Reply: Intercooler Questions