Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which Snow Methanol Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant make all the people happy all the time especially when they never purchased or have used your product.

The big deal with meth to me is the lines, filter, and tank setup. You'd be a fool to run methanol on plastic lines. Just like its foolish to run a system without a filter as when trash clogs that nozzles.. your done like fried chicken.

Running a kit of the MAF is also foolish if you run a large cam or are maxing it out. Thats why I do all my stuff referenced off the 2 bar or 3 bar MAP.

Running a kit without a controller spoils your tune. So its needed to not spike(dip) the AFR when it activates.

So how do you make a reliable kit.. spend $$ on hardware like hoses, fittings, filters, electrical termination, and then decide on tank.

There's a lot of chinese stuff floating around on a lot of kits. Careful what you buy.. deals are not so sweet when failure happens.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I dunno about this calling me or rice etr a fool deal but anyways..

You are a cool guy and make nice stuff; However your professional opinions are still opinions.

plastic lines work
maf controllers work
relay triggers work

Some of the above might not be someone or a company's favorite cup of tea, but you cannot discount their function and place in the market. (at least not in the same thread that the living, breathing proof is posting in)

If I bought a kit from you or Devilsown, AEM, Aquamist, Mr. Freeze, Coolingmist, AIS, FJO, Perrin, Striker, or Labonte.. Whoever.. and whatever parts they use... if it works.. it works.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

And plastic lines are very easy to work with.

In fact...there are plenty of Nitrous kits that use plastic lines too.

A lot of OEM cars use plastic lines for their fuel lines.

So whilst AN type fittings and lines are all very good. Sometimes they can be a right PITA, and damn expensive.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Which nitrous system uses plastic lines on their fuel solenoids?

Which Nascar team uses plastic lines on their fuel systems?

The OEM hard plastic lines cannot be compared with what is used on these kits.

If you want to use plastic lines.. go ahead. Thats on you. The OEM MFG that use plastic fuel lines dont do it on simple push in air line connectors.They are specially sealed and fitted for such a purpose.

Teflon braided hose is not that expensive. 50-100 bucks in hoses is a drop in the bucket for a 30K modded car. But when someone wants to be cheap.. it is what it is.

Would suck if a plastic line simply popped off, got hit by a centrifugal belt, debris or whatever.

The reason for plastic lines is to sell kits that dont fit any particular application. And becuase its cheap. Period. End of story.

Whats next we start saying that a Snell2000 rating on a helmet doesnt mean anything and a DOT helmet is fine?

So Dave.. lets hear what makes one system better or worse than another. And how it involves making power. After all thats what this thread is about no? Sounds like your really versed in methanol injection.. i'm all ears

Unless it is your opinion all systems are the same just becuase MFG literature says it works? If so why not hook up a toggle switch to your washer motor and put a hose to shoot meth into the up-pipe? That there is a 20 dollar kit that your car already came with. Screw plastic lines.. we'd use rubber washer tubing. Thats cheaper and never fails
Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Wizards of Nos here in the UK. And its probably about the most commonly used system Ive seen here. Ive seen it on 8sec cars right through to shitmobiles.

I would doubt any Nascar teams use plastic lines....although Im sure in their low pressure carb setups they would work fine.

Dont some race cars use plastic fuel cells ?

I dont drive a Nascar, and doubt I ever will. And quite correct about the push fittings. But lets face it, they work.

On the safety side, using proper fittings and hose is probably a wise move, especially if using 100% methanol.

I myself have had a belt failure, and it did rip out a plastic line and nozzle holder. I suspect it would have ripped apart an AN fitting too though.
I simply re-routed everything next time around so nothing was in the firing line of a belt.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
On the safety side, using proper fittings and hose is probably a wise move, especially if using 100% methanol.
Exactly my point.

Braided hose can be gotten for about 5 dollars per foot, and fittings 5.00 each. Its too inexpensive not to use. IF your on straight methanol.

If your on windshield washer fluid. Use the plastic lines.

One should never mess with safety when possible.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Little excerpt from the rule books

1.4 FUEL SYSTEM All fuel tank filler necks located inside trunk must have filler neck vented to outside of body. Vented caps prohibited. All batteries, fuel lines, fuel pumps or filler necks located inside trunk require complete bulkhead of at least .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032 (.8 mm) aluminum to isolate driver compartment from trunk. Fuel lines must be located outside driver compartment. Fuel tanks must be within the confines of the body. See General Regulations 1.5.

1.5 LIQUID OVERFLOW Catch-can mandatory for coolant overflow; one pint (.47 l) minimum capacity. See General Regulations 1.7.

1.6 NITROUS OXIDE Commercially available nitrous oxide system prohibited on supercharged V-8 engine, permitted on all other engines. Nitrous bottles in driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside of driver’s compartment. Bottles must be stamped with a DOT -1800 pound (124 bar) rating and permanently mounted (no hose clamps or tie wraps). Hoses from bottle(s) to solenoid must be high pressure steel braided or FIA permitted hoses. External heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Note the type of hoses to be used with the nitrous as must be high pressure steel braided or FIA permitted hoses. Does not allow for plastic hoses either in fuel or nitrous. Also note fuel lines to be located outside of drivers compartment as well as pumps for such.

Unless again the car will never go to a track, have to pass tech, etc etc etc

These are just simple safety rules we use in the US that work to keep racers from getting into trouble.

I dont know the rules pertaining to use of plastic lines for the nitrous outside the US. Guess i've always been used to using either hard line or braided hoses of proper pressure ratings and termination.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Julio
So Dave.. lets hear what makes one system better or worse than another. And how it involves making power. After all thats what this thread is about no? Sounds like your really versed in methanol injection.. i'm all ears
oh stop.

I'm versed enough to know that my '2 strikes out of 3' system has performed very well over these years. it's a good pump hooked to a good set of nozzles running wide open and it WORKS

I guess you say if i had a brand other than snow, the car would be more powerful and get down the track quicker? Please continue to let me live with my ignorance in bliss.

i am so tired of people hating on non-alkycontrol kits.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Julio
Little excerpt from the rule books

1.4 FUEL SYSTEM All fuel tank filler necks located inside trunk must have filler neck vented to outside of body. Vented caps prohibited. All batteries, fuel lines, fuel pumps or filler necks located inside trunk require complete bulkhead of at least .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032 (.8 mm) aluminum to isolate driver compartment from trunk. Fuel lines must be located outside driver compartment. Fuel tanks must be within the confines of the body. See General Regulations 1.5.

1.5 LIQUID OVERFLOW Catch-can mandatory for coolant overflow; one pint (.47 l) minimum capacity. See General Regulations 1.7.

1.6 NITROUS OXIDE Commercially available nitrous oxide system prohibited on supercharged V-8 engine, permitted on all other engines. Nitrous bottles in driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside of driver’s compartment. Bottles must be stamped with a DOT -1800 pound (124 bar) rating and permanently mounted (no hose clamps or tie wraps). Hoses from bottle(s) to solenoid must be high pressure steel braided or FIA permitted hoses. External heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Note the type of hoses to be used with the nitrous as must be high pressure steel braided or FIA permitted hoses. Does not allow for plastic hoses either in fuel or nitrous. Also note fuel lines to be located outside of drivers compartment as well as pumps for such.

Unless again the car will never go to a track, have to pass tech, etc etc etc

These are just simple safety rules we use in the US that work to keep racers from getting into trouble.

I dont know the rules pertaining to use of plastic lines for the nitrous outside the US. Guess i've always been used to using either hard line or braided hoses of proper pressure ratings and termination.
They would typically use a braided line from bottle to solenoids. But from solenoids to intake they use plastic. Does seem odd....but it obviously works, and its never been seen as a problem.

As for fuel lines running utside the car. Clearly there are differing opinions on that. You would NEVER see a WRC Rally car or similar motorpsort or track vehicle with the fuel lines outside the car. They are always run internally for safety reasons.

There is little chance of a fuel line routed inside ever coming to any harm. Externally, there is a high chance of damage.

Many of the US rules are odd and based on extremely old technology.
I was speaking to a guy at an event in the UK last year. A series he races in enforces some US based rules for drag racing. They forced him to install a roll cage...into a carbon fibre monocoque chassid race car. How he actually achieved this is beyond me. There isnt exactly much to weld to !!!!

Quick Reply: Which Snow Methanol Kit