Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Probe FPS pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probe FPS pistons?

I am forging my ls1 now, since I am going with a procharger, and I need to drop compression.. Im at11:1 right now, im going to drop it around 9:1 with some eagle h beam rods while keeping the stock ls1 cubes.

Probe FPS pistons is the style im looking at

Im debating on these pistons but I dont really know too much about this subject.. I know forged is good that sbout it lol..

im only planning to run 12psi max.. and im just wanting to be safe to around 650whp without worryin that my bottom end is going to fail. My tuner knows what he is doing without question. I have asked him and he says diamond pistons rock.. however I found a set of these probe pistons and they are much better price.. I just want your guys opnions.. as i dont want to spend over 500 bux on a set of pistons when im not going for all out power, just safety over stock pistons.. input?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

No. Stay away. Stay away from Mahle as well.

Do not waste your money. Go with a proper set of JE's and be done.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the SRS series if you are stuck on probe. 2618-t61 Forged Aluminum.
For only 650hp and no more they work for a budget build. They are less beefy when compare to something like a wiseco though. My last 347 made 750rwhp with probe pistons and I detonated the hell out of the motor. Split the sleeve in half but the piston barley had a scuff. If you want power more later, I'd go wiseco or diamond.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

thing is I hear the ls1 aluminum blocks and the stock t56 trans dont like much over 650-700whp, so my plan is to stay under that. I dont want to build a cast motor.. and the horse isnt a hugge deal to me.. i just want to make good power while being safe.. that being said 600whp is where id like to be around.. so I want to build a motor that would be safe for a lil more than what i want so im naturally covered.

I also agree that spending more on a set of pistons to handle 1000whp would be nice but if i never plan on making that much, whats the point? expecially when i hear the aluminum blocks shouldnt be pushed that hard, so why build one to handle that much??

please correct me if im wrong, its just what i hear.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Listening... so what pistons did you end up getting and why?

I am rebuilding my LM7 5.3 up to a 5.7 and I am looking for something around the 650-700whp range as well.

-Garrett
Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

I havent bought a pair yet, been watching the forsale section for a good set to pop up since I dont need them for a bit anyways..

If I do not find a set really i will be ordering a set of Probe srs pistons. reason being, in all the searches ive seen nobody really complaining about them, just suggesting the je's diamonds etc are built stronger.. people run the stock pistons to 650whp and dont hurt them even tho its risky..

My block I will never push past 750whp, I just will not do it unless I go cast iron then id redo it all anyways..

that being said I see no reason a set of SRS probe pistons wouldnt work fine for me, granted better pistons are out there, but for the price and my power goals I see no reason not to get them.. Once all is said and done I will have a much stonger block using the probes and some good H beam rods, than what I had with the stock rods and pistons correct? i dont think im asking for insane power considering im procharged...

I have meth injection, proper fuel system, large intercooler.. I should be safe..

the probes are built much stronger than the stockers, and will last under some stress.. if anyone can tell me that they will never last at 750whp with a proper tune at 6500rpm with a good set of rods under boost, please tell me why and I will dig deeper for sure..

Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

only concern I have, is my stock block I am going to forge has some piston slap in it, its completely stock bore. 3.90" the probes are 3.902", I am hoping getting these pistons installed correctly, will tighten the clearances up after being bored and give me no slap at all once done.. is .002" enough clearance to cure most stock piston slap on the ls1's?

Quick Reply: Probe FPS pistons?