Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Machine shop says a 408 isnt good for boost...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I told them what heads I had and the specs on them and I told them the desired CR(9.0-9.5). I was just wanting them to do the machine work and put in the crank, pistons, etc. I can handle putting on heads, cam, lifters and so on.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eatlead
I guess all those 408's making 650+ RWHP on boost don't know what they're doing

find another machine shop.. and no short stroke engines don't rev quicker and spin higher

lighter rotating assemblies spin quicker and rev's are based on components not stroke
It doesnt measn long stroke engines rev slower... That is wrong, Poeple only don't prefer long stroke engines because and arent preferred for higher revving RPM engines, because of the MPS gets too fast with a longer stroke..

the 408 is Just fine for his Turbo setup..
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GM could have upped the cubes in the LS9 but instead went with a 6.2L (~376ci). I would think they went that route more for reliability than all out power. They even made a forged 3.62" stroke crankshaft specifically for the LS9. So ultimately, I think the answer depends on what your goals are. If you're after maximum power go with the 408+. For maximum reliability go with the 370. Dan
Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canbarelygo
reguardless of the CI a motor built right and put together with the right parts is going to make power. why wouldnt a built 408 with plenty of boost and a good set of heads and cam to flow it make retarded power? its all in what you put in it the determines whether or not its a good "boost motor" because any motor has the potential to be a "boost motor". thats like sayin a built lsx 454ci with plenty of cubes to turn twins or even a big single and tons of boost would be slow compared to its n/a counterpart it just doesnt make any sense. as long as thought is put into the parts being used and where you want to go in the motor whether its n/a or otherwise its gonna run excelent but thats just my 2 cents
First of all, the only legit reason to not use a 4.0" stroke in a standard LS type motor (not LS7) is because the sleeves are too short. Other than that, none of the others reasons make much sense. Unfortunately, it's a damn good reason and honestly, there is no need.

OP, how fast do you want to go? Mine's going 8.98 with a stock crank and only 370 ci. Fireball went 7.9 with his little cube motor. Mighty Mouse went 8.6, I believe, with his car. Why not put the extra thousand that you will save on a crank into something else? Like an upgraded turbo. It will net you more power and be more reliable in the long run.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
I read this thread and laugh sometimes.Lot's of stuff said that just doesn't make any sense.Oh well,we'll just keep doing it wrong.Big cube,long stroke,low rpm,fast *** engines.
Why aren't Veee8 and Fireball running 4" stroke? What stroke are you using in Phil's LSX mustang?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
OP, how fast do you want to go? Mike's going 8.98 with a stock crank and only 370 ci. Fireball went 7.9 with his little cube motor. Mighty Mouse went 8.6, I believe, with his car. Why not put the extra thousand that you will save on a crank into something else? Like an upgraded turbo. It will net you more power and be more reliable in the long run.
Well I was thinking about just getting a forged rotating assembly for my ls1 but then I was thinking I could get some more cubes for roughly the same cost. The route I am looking at now is keeping my motor but upgrading the internals, throwing in a blower cam and upgrading to a t76 or t78. Maybe two 60trims lol
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why aren't Veee8 and Fireball running 4" stroke? What stroke are you using in Phil's LSX mustang?
because we are stuck with parts we already had
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

438" with a 4" stroke, you do the math. Fireball purchased a motor from Harlan if memory serves me correctly. I'd bet if he were to do it all over again from scratch, he would have a 4" stroke. You can either follow everyone else or lead. We're choosing the latter, in less than 20 passes we've gone quicker and faster than any other LSx radial hotrod to the 1/8 mile with less equipment. So 4" strokes don't work. Shawn and I can't imagine how far we would be if we had a couple years of testing under our belts.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
438" with a 4" stroke, you do the math. Fireball purchased a motor from Harlan if memory serves me correctly. I'd bet if he were to do it all over again from scratch, he would have a 4" stroke. You can either follow everyone else or lead. We're choosing the latter, in less than 20 passes we've gone quicker and faster than any other LSx radial hotrod to the 1/8 mile with less equipment. So 4" strokes don't work. Shawn and I can't imagine how far we would be if we had a couple years of testing under our belts.
Stock length sleeves?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:11 PM
7 Second Club

Stock length sleeves?
Not sure how you have anything other than stock sleeve with an iron block.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

So how short are the sleeves? What are the results of it being too short? And why would these stroker cranks even be made if they were so bad?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 08 silverado z28
So how short are the sleeves? What are the results of it being too short? And why would these stroker cranks even be made if they were so bad?
Look its pretty simple, the optimum stroke for a Forced induction LS engine is 3.622.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
7 Second Club

Stock length sleeves?
You need to find a new engine builder.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Restricted User

Not sure how you have anything other than stock sleeve with an iron block.
Sorry, I missed the iron block part. I thought you were using that new super badass block that you guys were talking about not that long ago.

You need to find a new engine builder.
Ouch. My guy is pretty good. He builds LOTS of LS motors. He builds every motor that goes into these. Shop is Total Engine Concepts. Call JE. They know him.

Why do suppose that GM put a longer sleeve in the one LS motor that they make with a 4" stroke?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do suppose that GM put a longer sleeve in the one LS motor that they make with a 4" stroke?

That makes sense to me for the 427 ls7 the longer skirt will help with a better piston and ring set. How long are the skirts in a lsx block? I was gong to drop in cubes for better oil control bet a builder said for my goals a 427 lsx would do the trick easy and I belive him. I guess it all comes down to budget and preferance. Hell I like fireball, mighy mouse and phills set up they are making the power I hope to make with less cubes and more boost. But with the bigger motor it will take less boost to make the same power if not more. Hell I dont know I may just go with a superdeck2 500 ci with 20 pis and be done with it lol.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING

That makes sense to me for the 427 ls7 the longer skirt will help with a better piston and ring set. How long are the skirts in a lsx block? I was gong to drop in cubes for better oil control bet a builder said for my goals a 427 lsx would do the trick easy and I belive him. I guess it all comes down to budget and preferance. Hell I like fireball, mighy mouse and phills set up they are making the power I hope to make with less cubes and more boost. But with the bigger motor it will take less boost to make the same power if not more. Hell I dont know I may just go with a superdeck2 500 ci with 20 pis and be done with it lol.
We ran 36-40# of boost. This year should be 40-45 if not more.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
7 Second Club

Sorry, I missed the iron block part. I thought you were using that new super badass block that you guys were talking about not that long ago.

Ouch. My guy is pretty good. He builds LOTS of LS motors. He builds every motor that goes into these. Shop is Total Engine Concepts. Call JE. They know him.

I'm not here to debate it. I have spent the money to know what works and what doesn't.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Veee8's new motor is a 4'' stroke and Fireball's would have been a 4'' stroke if he could have sold the 3.622 stroke crank.Phil's is a 4'' stroke with a 5.600 sleeve length-not optimal but it works.I have built tons of 4'' stroke motors with no issues.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man,i don't know why you are so quick to bust on us,nobody said we are the end all and in fact you asked me for a price at one time.If you don't like Va Speed,that's fine-but we will continue to build the BADDEST ls engines on the planet
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

We all know the 4" stroke stuff makes plenty of power in a street strip or race car but what about when your driving 15k a year plus making a couple hundred trips down the track? I think thats where you would want a longer sleeve with the 4" stroke.

Quick Reply: Machine shop says a 408 isnt good for boost...