Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Powerdyne Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powerdyne Questions

Just been reading on some old threads on here and it seems these have taken quite a beating, but I'm wondering how much of that is first hand experience.

I'm supposed to be looking at a 96 WS6 this weekend, it has a Powerdyne SC on it, I'm not really concerned with making huge amounts of power or anything (the car did dyno around 435) .....just want something to cruise around in. I'm not sure if anything has been done to the unit or not, or how old it is, I just know it was on the car when he bought it a few years back. I just was wondering how they have held up for the people who have owned them in the past.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a BD11a for a couple low mile years with no problems. Here are the plus points. The supercharger is quiet and does not require a oiling source. The bad is it has a belt drive and marginal bearings that can fail, and it does not move a lot of CFM. They also run off the main drive belt. I ran a after market manual belt tensioner to stop belt slippage. This adds side bearing load to the water pump, alternator, power steering pump. If the previous owner has not replaced the belt or bearings you might consider a rebuild as part of your cost for the car.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone had one of these rebuilt and does the upgrades really help the reliability of the unit alot?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the Kevlar belt makes a huge difference and I replaced the bearings as a weekend project with my brothers. The powerdyne I used was on a 3.8 V6 and never had a problem; I would say with a 383 it would be necessary to have these "upgrades"

BTW if you know anywhere to buy a kit for a LS1 please PM me. I have the unit but my kit had the tubes and mounting bracket for a 3800 Series II
Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a powerdyne on my old v6 car. Not long after my purchase the bearings went out. I had the upgraded impeller shaft, belt, and ceramic bearings installed and mine still didn't last long. IMO stay far the **** away from powerdyne. Pay the money and get a procharger if you want a SC.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne Questions