Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS Aftermarket Dual Blow Off Valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS Aftermarket Dual Blow Off Valve questions

Hey guys, my twin setup was finished up not too long ago and I had decided to replace the blow off valves that the kit (APS) came with. I found a deal on 2 megasonic blow off valves so i picked them up. Currently they're installed at the stock APS location. When letting off the throttle however I dont hear them venting (to atmosphere). I'm wondering if its possible the vaccuum hose is too long therefore not providing enough of a vaccuum source to open up the valves (keep in mind i have 2 of them and they're considerably bigger than the APS stockers).

Lately I've been thinking of getting a piece of stainless/mild steel piping about the same size as the intercooler or maf opening and have the blow off valves mounted to it using weld on adapters. I'd remove the unsightly horns on the bov's and angle the bov's back towards the engine, one on each side of the pipe. If i got creative enough i could fab up screen plates to replace the ugly horns that protrude from the bov's. I could easily place this section of bov/piping after the intercooler and before the maf. This would eliminate the longer length of vaccuum hose i'm running currently. I was wondering do you think this setup would lead to better/proper performance of the valves? I'd prefer to keep a dual blow off valve setup (since i went through the hassle of getting them both anyways) but i was wondering if its hindering proper operation of the bov's with my current setup.

In Short:

1.Are long vaccuum lines hurting/preventing performance of my larger aftermarket BOV's?

2.Will mounting my Megasonic BOV's after the intercooler/before the MAF be an ideal location?

3.Am I hurting myself running 2 Megasonic BOV's vs 1?

Some information about the setup in case its needed to make a judgement:
Stock LS1
APS Twin kit (base setting 7lbs, est 9lbs)
Old 09-15-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

bump!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen this done. But I've only seen it done with one bigger BOV after the intercooler and before the MAF, and not 2. Dont see any reason it wouldnt work, as long as they were installed correctly and properly.

Also, do you have a link to the BOV you bought? I am also looking at BOV's for the APS kit.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used two turbosmart supersonic kompact non recirced type in stock aps location plug and play. I got block off from home depot for the tubing think they were for table legs.Worked perfect. No problems at all in my car with the turbosmarts.
Their are two sizes and pretty sure used the larger ones,forget its been awhile now already.

Barnat welded some blow offs right into the aps intercooler neck.He has lots of threads on here.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

My99TAWS6, you actually have a sound clip of your BOV's? I am interested on how loud dual aftermarket non-recirc's were. Is it pretty loud as crap? Dont think Im sounding negative, I would love that.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am bit of closet ricer ,see my sig and like pretty loud blowoffs.Thats why changed out the aps stockers.So yeah they are pretty loud and there are two of them. Unrecirced also makes them louder . As said this chair floor protector at home depot was perfect fit to blow the aps pipe. Don't have that part number did this couple years back.
I don't have any video unforunately. My car is down and out right now possibly until next spring not sure yet ,engine problems maybe simple maybe not.

These kompact turbosmart are as said totally plug and play and worked fine in stock locations. They have few different models but I got the unrecirced of course. I have pics on my aps build thread if you search on here.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Cool deal. Yeah, I would like a louder BOV too. I need more volume to convince these ferrari's and porsche turbo's to race me when Im cruising past LA.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Shortening your vacuum lines wont help the performance of the blow off valves. It sounds like you just have them adjusted too tight. Adjusting them to a "softer" setting (I think that's the terminology that turbosmart uses, should allow them to blow off. How much vacuum do you pull at idle? If you pull lots of vacuum you can run a "harder" setting. You want the valve adjusted to where it's just closed at idle.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

i need new BOV for my car, still running the one from the kit
Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the synapse ones. video is cheesy, but on the 30+ customer cars i have put it on. it has really speeded up the release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIa4...ext=1&index=45
Old 09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

i know that guy in the vette. by far the biggest tool you will ever meet.
and i lived by synapse's shop in socal, i want some but i never got them
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Fired up the car to check the vaccuum. Its idling right at 20lbs.

MY99TAWS6, i'm right there with ya as far as the loud bov That was the reason I kept my eyes open for a sale on the megasonics i picked up. Below is a vid i found of one installed on someone's trans am. If you google it they're not the prettiest things in the world but the fact that they are one of the best flowing ones in turbosmart's lineup and the sound made me side with them. If i install them up top after the intercooler like Barnat's setup i'll be removing the horns on either side of the BOV (they simply unscrew).

Mine of course sound nothing like it. I just worry mine have been quieted down since i'm running 2 of them. I got under the car shortly after my install was completed and checked the springs on the bov's. I can put them as loose as they'll go (turning any further would show the red warning indicator) and it didnt seem like there was any audible difference when letting up off of...spirited acceleration.

One of my other thoughts are maybe the vaccuum lines that came with the APS Base kit arent up to par for the aftermarket blow off valves. When i had adjusted my BOV's to the loosest setting i noticed that the vaccuum lines were being twisted (as they're plugged to the port directly on the cap that you turn to adjust the valves) and were relatively easy to kink. If i were to replace these with thicker hosing, perhaps something with a bigger ID would that be a worthwhile attempt? What size hosing are you guys using for your aftermarket BOV's?

When you say that the valves should be adjusted to just barely stay shut at idle, how do you check for that? Physically look at the valve opening at idle to see if its closed, give it some gas and watch for them to pop open when you let off?

Last edited by dementia; 09-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

that is sweet LOL

Quick Reply: APS Aftermarket Dual Blow Off Valve questions