Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear Mount GT-4788 Z06!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
I will post pics of the system when we get them back from the coater on tuesday.
Figured you guys would be heading down that route, it isn't your first rodeo after all
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Ceramic coating + wrap works even better. My setup spools really fast now.
i do not know if that is a good idea. might keep too much heat in and change the properties of the metal, making it weak

even the exhaust wrap companies tell you not wrap it too much (only 1/4 overlap) for that reason
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elias_799
i do not know if that is a good idea. might keep too much heat in and change the properties of the metal, making it weak

even the exhaust wrap companies tell you not wrap it too much (only 1/4 overlap) for that reason
Well I have been informed otherwise. Real cermic coating wont chip or rust no matter what. I highy doubt that turbo will get hot enough to come anywhere near the melting point of the metal. There are a number of guys with front mounts that coat and wrap their hot side. A rearmount is no differant as far as that. The real reason for the overlap is for water, The wrap will dry faster if its not double wrap. Will it rust faster? No I had my exhaust double wrap for 3 years and I dd my car. When I inspected my exhaust , my pipes look new zero rust and thats with out the coating. I have drivin in the rain also. The wrap never got loose or weak.

To the OP I like the set up not to fond of the exhaust bet hell 90% of the cars that leave your shop are in the 800 hp range lol Keep it up.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the dump out the side!!!!!+++++...although ive always been partial to non rear mount and dump out the fender, still looks mean imo

great job!!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Well I have been informed otherwise. Real cermic coating wont chip or rust no matter what. I highy doubt that turbo will get hot enough to come anywhere near the melting point of the metal. There are a number of guys with front mounts that coat and wrap their hot side. A rearmount is no differant as far as that. The real reason for the overlap is for water, The wrap will dry faster if its not double wrap. Will it rust faster? No I had my exhaust double wrap for 3 years and I dd my car. When I inspected my exhaust , my pipes look new zero rust and thats with out the coating. I have drivin in the rain also. The wrap never got loose or weak.

To the OP I like the set up not to fond of the exhaust bet hell 90% of the cars that leave your shop are in the 800 hp range lol Keep it up.
i never said anything about rusting, it looks like he has SS pipes so that should not be an issue

i was more concern with the properties of the metal changing from too much heat, at least that is what the wrap company told me

here is a copy paste from DEI's website

Why only a ¼" overlap, isn't more better?

More is not always better when it comes to exhaust wrap. You can hold too much heat in the tubing and manifold to the point of changing the molecular structure of the metal. This can cause premature wear of the tubes or fractured welds. Overlapping ¼" is receommended as this allows just enough heat to emit.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the difference between wrapping and coating, wrapping subjects the metal to the heat also, whereas if you coat the inside of the pipes along with the outside, then it seals the heat inside the ceramic, thus keeping the tubing itself cooler while adding structure.
Stainless is also good to temps that high, anytime they recieve a post weld heat treat its typically 1300 degrees for at least 8 hours, and the grating inside the furnace is stainless and its been in there at least 5 years now. theyve seen those temps with thousands of pounds sitting on them for extended periods of time constantly all that time.

now, that being said, it also depends on the temper degree and a few other things, but a post weld heat treat is specifically designed to NOT alter the molecular structure of the steel while allowing the stress of the welding process to be relieved.

Cliffs notes, the people who told you that are both right and wrong, but im sure by now LMR has it covered.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never said anything about rusting, it looks like he has SS pipes so that should not be an issue

i was more concern with the properties of the metal changing from too much heat, at least that is what the wrap company told me

here is a copy paste from DEI's website

Why only a ¼" overlap, isn't more better?

More is not always better when it comes to exhaust wrap. You can hold too much heat in the tubing and manifold to the point of changing the molecular structure of the metal. This can cause premature wear of the tubes or fractured welds. Overlapping ¼" is receommended as this allows just enough heat to emit.
I never stated u said that it will rust. I was speaking in general.. I have read that dei statement also but thats for wrapping parts that see more than 2000* for extended times. I inquired about that years ago and that is what the tech told me.

Quick Reply: Rear Mount GT-4788 Z06!!