Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who here has the SMC Water/Alky Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buschman
Now that's slick! Did you send SMC your resevior and they modified it? Where are you running your nozzle to?

Mike
No, I tapped the bottle at the lowest point. My buddy helped me peice the kit together. If you would like I can take pics tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrios
No, I tapped the bottle at the lowest point. My buddy helped me peice the kit together. If you would like I can take pics tomorrow.
Absolutely! That's just the kind of stealthy stuff I love Pics would be great!

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mike
I have my one gallon smc kit located in the spare wheel well. Both, the alky line and the wire harness run along side the passenger side of the car. I have the control box on the side of my ceter consol. I have the dual nozzle model and I have my spray on point at about 4-5psi and the pump speed is usually at 4.5. I can feel the motor respond when the alky comes on, depending on when pump speed I have it on sometime sit will bog sometime it wont, I havent quite found the *sweet spot* but so far so good.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Water is effectively infinite octane. It can never detonate. If there is too much water then there will be a slight reduction in power, but that would be more water than would be reasonably used in an injection kit like this.

Alcohol does reduce the tendancy to knock, primarily because of it's cooling properties on the incoming air, but also because it has octane. Octane cools and slows the flame travel, thus reducing the instance of pre-ignition.

On one hand water and alcohol do the same function, it's just that a small amount of water is more effective at quelling detonation than a large amount of alcohol, while alcohol, on the other hand is more effective at adding fuel. If your fuel system is up to the task, there is no real reason to use alcohol, IMO. What you're really after is to be sure that high compression, coupled with low octane pump gas, doesn't get detonation started.

That said, I use alcohol in the mix because I think it's effective at offsetting any minute power loss associated with too much water (as added safety). Also covers over any bad pump gas.

JMO-

Last edited by SS00Blue; 01-13-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the fuel system is up to the task I would think you could get away with just water. You would just have a lower ceiling for power. BUT it would still be very reliable at that lower level I would think.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Guys, I thought the same . . . that you could use just straight water. I have not dyno tested these theories yet, but I'm leaning towards 100% alky nonetheless . . . maybe if I have tons of time I will dyno test both approaches.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Mike
Here are the water/alky pics. Don't mind the mess I still need finish painting.
Click on link below. Click "car album". Click "water/alky" on the left hand side.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrios126
Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrios
Here are the water/alky pics. Don't mind the mess I still need finish painting.
Click on link below. Click "car album". Click "water/alky" on the left hand side.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrios126
Cool setup Jrios. Let me ask you, where is, or was, the Windshield washer pump located? Is it out of picture or did you remove it and that's where we see the H2O/alky line running now?

I'm thinking about taking that Idea and going a step further. Since we have such a large and oddly shaped windshield washer resevior anyways, why not cut it in half, and use one side for H2O/alky and the other for WW fluid?

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can wash your winshield with the alky mix so why bother
Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
you can wash your winshield with the alky mix so why bother
I thought about that at first. Steve @ SMC is the one that mentioned it could potentially be bad for paint. Plus $8 a gallon WW fluid... no thanks

Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Cool setup Jrios. Let me ask you, where is, or was, the Windshield washer pump located? Is it out of picture or did you remove it and that's where we see the H2O/alky line running now?

I'm thinking about taking that Idea and going a step further. Since we have such a large and oddly shaped windshield washer resevior anyways, why not cut it in half, and use one side for H2O/alky and the other for WW fluid?

Mike
Its just out of the picture.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

have been talking with Steve on the phone several times. I think he and I have come up with a pretty slick design very close to what jrios has. I'm really happy cause the last thing I want to do is clutter up an already tight engine bay. I'll post pics when I get them.

But so far Steve has been great to deal with. very willing to go the extra mile for the business.

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Well, when you figure it out let us know! I have the SMC in the trunk and would really like to move it closer to the engine . . .

Quick Reply: Who here has the SMC Water/Alky Kit?