Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how much is too much for the street? looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope this doesn't come off as offensive sounding, but here is my opinion. I love turbos and recommend them to guys, BUT if you don't have a lot of fab/tuning skills, then keep it simple and do a procharger. From what it sounds like and how fast your car is now, I think a simple d1 setup would be the most reliable and keep your driveability and make over 500rwhp which you will be more than happy with. Too many guys start a turbo build and give up before the car even runs because they don't really understand what they are getting themselves into.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah again...my opnion...stay N/A, you'll have the biggest smile when you blow the doors off other force inducted cars and just think, all that money you saved over them....ahaha
Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

if you order the sts kit from thunder racing dot com..it comes with everything you need... check them out..

i would do a turbo set up, and not exceed 525-550 rwhp. that is plenty for the street.. you said you want to make it driveable..

you can still retain a lot of the comfort parts in the car with a rear mount.. and you could always up grade the snail..
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Wow, thank you all very much! You've given me a lot to think about. I had no intention of making this a "cheap FI" thread, as I know that doesn't really exist. I was just not looking at rebuilding the entire engine around the idea of FI to make ridiculous HP. Who knows, maybe I will stay N/A once its all said and done, but you guys have given me a HUGE amount of input and I appreciate that very much.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote go turbo, superchargers are like fox body mustangs, everyone has one. Turbo's are extremely fun on the street and I think a turbo sounds alot better then the supercharger whine haha.

Also the only way u can dial boost down on an SC is to put a wastegate on the cold side, oh now you want more boost? okay lets get out the tools and swap and pulley and belt.

Also the little extra lag from a Turbo on the street is better for trying to get traction hahah.

When I first got my turbo on my 383LT1 I was doing highway pulls at 5psi around 70mph and just killing the tires.

Sorry if im off subject a bit I didnt read all posts just a few of the go SC ones haha

Jay

Quick Reply: how much is too much for the street? looking for guidance