Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

jgs wastegate and boost controler help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnies
Where is your reference at, the turbo or intake manifold? Have you checked for big boost leaks? Running just the biggest spring we made ~8lbs, you might have another problem.
I agree. I didnt know he had all 3 springs in it. There is a leak somewhere for sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no boost leaks...i think you said you had a red spring? mind came with a yellow, and two bare metal ones.

boost comes in hard and fast, no lag going down the road etc...no boost spikes, no loss or anything (and yes was pressure tested before ever started)

and the boost is being refrenced at the turbo outlet
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
no boost leaks...i think you said you had a red spring? mind came with a yellow, and two bare metal ones.

boost comes in hard and fast, no lag going down the road etc...no boost spikes, no loss or anything (and yes was pressure tested before ever started)

and the boost is being refrenced at the turbo outlet
I'm running a JGS 50 with the Red spring. I have no issues either, the spring just wont make much over 7#'s by itself either, have heard that this is not all uncommon. Talk to Brian @ JGSPT if you have any questions about the stiffness of the spring, last time I talked to him they just had a red, silver, & black, may be that yours it just newer.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

wait so with the bottom port hooked to the turbo i make 4lbs. so even with the controler hooked up i can only make 8? ? i want to make 13 now and 24 once i get meth.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Restricted User

so i was running on just the gate with my JGS 50mm and it made around 3 psi. now i have a "T" off the compressor outlet with one line going to the top port and the other line going to a Turbonetics Dial-A-Boost and then to the bottom port now it gets about 8 psi turned all the way down.

Last edited by transammiller; 06-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transammiller
so i was running on just the gate with my JGS 50mm and it made around 3 psi. now i have a "T" off the compressor outlet with one line going to the top port and the other line going to a Turbonetics Dial-A-Boost and then to the top port now it gets about 9 psi all the way down.
you just said you have both lines to the top port, typo man....which one is it, as id really like to know so i can do it as well
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

like this?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

i called jgs today. with boost only going to the lower port ill make 4 lbs.
with nothing hooked to the wg the spring doubles.
now if the boost controler was inline on the bottom it would still only let it make double the spring.

now if you run boost to the top port it will max max boost. you put the controler in line with that and limit how much boost goes to the top of the gate.
thats what i need to do to hit 12lbs. but do i still need the line going to the bottom?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bad6as
i called jgs today. with boost only going to the lower port ill make 4 lbs.
with nothing hooked to the wg the spring doubles.
now if the boost controler was inline on the bottom it would still only let it make double the spring.

now if you run boost to the top port it will max max boost. you put the controler in line with that and limit how much boost goes to the top of the gate.
thats what i need to do to hit 12lbs. but do i still need the line going to the bottom?
With a manual boost controller(Joe P is what I use) this won't work, how do I know, I tried it. It's not very accurate, sometimes it would make 10lbs on my car, other times it made 15lbs. I ended up using a nitrous jet inline to make sure it applies only so much pressure to the top port, after that it's been accurate for me. You can give it a try, just be very careful.

The proper way seems to change springs in my opinion.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

yea he said with the controler turned down (closed) it would make 8 thats double my spring. it would act like there is no lines going to it. but then i open it up for more air ( boost) i could raise it till it maxed out the turbo......but do i need the bottom port hooked to any thing
Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

yea he said with the controler turned down (closed) it would make 8 thats double my spring. it would act like there is no lines going to it. but then i open it up for more air ( boost) i could raise it till it maxed out the turbo......but do i need the bottom port hooked to any thing
I wouldn't do it that way with one of those controllers, but to answer your question, nothing to the bottom port if you really want to do it that way. Otherwise if you run it to both, it'll only make double the spring(being as pressure is equal top/bottom) or less on top vs bottom, it can never be more on top than bottom with it hooked up that way.

I still recommend getting the correct spring for you case, I'd really hate to see you blow it up because boost jumps.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhJtXGSmROs

I found this while looking for a digram for my FORGE manual boost controler and pulled this from the Tail site itself

Last edited by barnat; 06-23-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

so whats the line that goes to the bottom for?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

so whats the line that goes to the bottom for?
From what ive found,,, it just assist the spring opening. I found this out a few days ago and tryed cutting that bottom line and putting a plastic tee in there to trick my W/G into giving me more boost,,, which it didnt do a dam thing LOL But of coarse there was nothing going to the tops of my APS Tail W/G's either

Last edited by barnat; 06-24-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

but that would take away the point in the controler on the top port.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
It all depends on how the boost controller works. You really have to have an understanding of what is happening inside the WG so you can figure out how to plumb it. You have 2 ports. The one on the top uses boost pressure to help keep the WG valve shut. The one on the bottom uses boost to assist in opening the WG. When the WG opens, it bleeds exhaust pressure which in turn slows the turbine wheel thereby regulating boost. So now we know what's going on.
Bad6as, you need to read this entire paragraph again, reason see the bold part.

IMO, do this, change the reference to the manifold to see if your boost drastically increases or not, if not BUY a bigger spring before you blow it up.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinnies
Bad6as, you need to read this entire paragraph again, reason see the bold part.

IMO, do this, change the reference to the manifold to see if your boost drastically increases or not, if not BUY a bigger spring before you blow it up.
I too am putting in bigger W/G springs! Im just using my boost controler to bump me up a ((few)) psi for the track .If you need that much more boost your definatly better off just buying new, bigger springs as it will definatly be more percise boost and it wont be jumping around on you like it does when using some of these boost controlers. You realy want your W/G's to control the main part of your boost and a manual controler to fine tune your PSI setting that your comfortable with IMO This way the main load is on your W/G springs and no that tiny spring inside your manual boost controler if thats the type you have?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

if the regulator is on the top port and its limiting psi to the top port and the bottom port is still seeing full pressure the bottom port or basicly over rule the the top port
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Teching In

JGS Wastegate instructions can be found here:

http://www.jgsturbo.com/jgswginst.pdf
Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside the waste gate is a bladder and a spring. When you apply pressure to the bottom port it pushes against the spring. If the pressure applied to the bottom port exceeds the spring the valve will open.

Adding pressure to the top port is just like adding a larger pressure spring. The spring and the pressure added to the top port fight against the reference on the bottom port.

The other two issues that you deal with are back pressure and leaks on the cold side. Back pressure in the exhaust goes up as the boost level goes up. A higher system with back higher pressure will help open the wastegate at a lower boost level then a system with lower back pressure. Cold side leaks will just give you less boost, even if the turbo is working harder.

I would run a single line from the top of the gate to the compressor housing. This should basically max out the turbo. Do a short pull/burst and see what the boost does. If it does not make alot of boost you have a cold side leak, or you are maxing out the turbo(s).

If it does make alot of boost then you know the system is working right and it is in the spring/controller set-up. I would get the right springs for the gate to run the boost level you are wanting or get as close as you can and get a quality controller.

Situations like this is why I like the new PTE gates...they come with multiple springs...enough to hit each boost level from 1.5 to 25.5 in 1.5 lb increments.

Quick Reply: jgs wastegate and boost controler help