Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

water to air for procharged f body

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stngtamr29
It is basicly a spray bar in the tank and I think CO2 will work instead of nitrous I have a bottle and Im going to try the same experiment with it and will let you know
Cool! (no pun intended lol). It will be intresting to see what the results are. I was thinking maybe you could rig a system like this up to help control water temps rather than supercool it. myabe set a controler that operates the system when the water temps a X dergrees above ambient.

Regards,

Chris.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate all the work and data you have presented here. I went through the mental process of air/water and using LN2 several year ago. I still might try a system, but not as involved as yours.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I finally got out to the track to see if my chiller system made a difference and by dropping the intake temps down 30 degrees under full boost it picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 with 90/10 antifreeze/water so next week Im going to use 70/30 water/meth and dry ice to get the temps down to sub zero if I can and will post results thanks j
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Hey guys I finally got out to the track to see if my chiller system made a difference and by dropping the intake temps down 30 degrees under full boost it picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 with 90/10 antifreeze/water so next week Im going to use 70/30 water/meth and dry ice to get the temps down to sub zero if I can and will post results thanks j
Great news! how did the gas discharge system work for cooling the water? How long will it take to cool X gallons of water?....

Chris.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Great news! how did the gas discharge system work for cooling the water? How long will it take to cool X gallons of water?....

Chris.
Hey I haven't tried the NOS yet but with the dryice the vapor from it boiling was kinda weird it looked like an eerie fog but it attracted a lot of attention and now I have about four people wanting a system and for the cooling down I was using 10# of dryice and it would cool it down from 80f to -10f in about 4 mins now Im using straight meth and 20#'s of dryice and it will take it from 80f to -40f in about the same time also I am using 2.5 gals of meth j
Old 07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not throw the money spent into the system into some forged rods and pistons, run more boost and methanol and make a hell of a lot more power lol I like the experimental system though!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Why not throw the money spent into the system into some forged rods and pistons, run more boost and methanol and make a hell of a lot more power lol I like the experimental system though!
I haven't thrown hardly any money into it I built it all myself and this will be a big help when I do build a big motor anyway on a 100 degree day with a buddy of mines GTO he's spraying through 2 nozzles and cant get close to the temps Im getting and I dont have to worry about a pump or something stupid giving trouble and burning my motor down my setup is completly safe j
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Hey I haven't tried the NOS yet but with the dryice the vapor from it boiling was kinda weird it looked like an eerie fog but it attracted a lot of attention and now I have about four people wanting a system and for the cooling down I was using 10# of dryice and it would cool it down from 80f to -10f in about 4 mins now Im using straight meth and 20#'s of dryice and it will take it from 80f to -40f in about the same time also I am using 2.5 gals of meth j
thats pretty impresive! did you use a heatexchange in the cooling curcit? what is the temps of the water/meth as it leaves the chargecooler?
also how much dose dryice cost? also in the 4min is all the dry ice gone?

Chris.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

thats pretty impresive! did you use a heatexchange in the cooling curcit? what is the temps of the water/meth as it leaves the chargecooler?
also how much dose dryice cost? also in the 4min is all the dry ice gone?

Chris.
Hey I run from the tank to the pump to the cooler and then back to the tank and the temps leaving the tank are -10f so I think if I insulate the lines I won't need so much dryice. And with the way I have it the dryice was about half gone after about 10 mins. of running on and off boost and here in NC dryice is about .98 a pound at harris teeter j
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

Hey I run from the tank to the pump to the cooler and then back to the tank and the temps leaving the tank are -10f so I think if I insulate the lines I won't need so much dryice. And with the way I have it the dryice was about half gone after about 10 mins. of running on and off boost and here in NC dryice is about .98 a pound at harris teeter j
Thats pretty impresive if the dry ice lasted 10min. Obviously at that point you would still have the fluid at -10f so it would be a little longer before you started to see heat soak.

Wonder how this would fair in a roadcourse/auto x application? what are the IATs? if they are below ambient then its pointless running a heatexchange after the Chargecooler.

deff insulate the lines, and tank! you want to stop as much heat warming the dryice as possiable.

Chris.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Thats pretty impresive if the dry ice lasted 10min. Obviously at that point you would still have the fluid at -10f so it would be a little longer before you started to see heat soak.

Wonder how this would fair in a roadcourse/auto x application? what are the IATs? if they are below ambient then its pointless running a heatexchange after the Chargecooler.

deff insulate the lines, and tank! you want to stop as much heat warming the dryice as possiable.

Chris.
Hey my iat's are 52 f on a 96 degree day with a 70/30 water/meth mix and the mix froze so I think I will have to use more meth but for a road course application I think you would have to use nitrous and let it spray a small amount for the complete run.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Hey my iat's are 52 f on a 96 degree day with a 70/30 water/meth mix and the mix froze so I think I will have to use more meth but for a road course application I think you would have to use nitrous and let it spray a small amount for the complete run.
Yeah i dont think you could run enough dry ice to stay cool for 20min session! lol but it would be intresting if you could keep the intake cooler for the first 10 min! lol and if you are running an intercooler as well as the chargecooler it might help. hmmmm maybe you could rig up a Hobbs switch and at a preset boost level start the pump for the charge cooler. that way you wouln't be weasting the dry ice until you where in boost? just an idea.

a guy on one of the UK boards also cools his fuel down. have you thought about this? maybe running your fuel lines through the tank to help pull some heat out. he says that fuel at about 0degrees C is the best temp to go for (from his testing).

any plan to ge tthe car on the dyno and see how much additioanl power you are making with your supper cool intake charge temps? Have you thought about fitting a large heat exchange or dont you think its needed? I know the WW2 aircraft used to run a 50/50 mix of weater and gylconal (sp?) for their cooling systems due to the chance of icing, maybe a 50/50 mix would work well for you?

Oh and where are the pics????
Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah i dont think you could run enough dry ice to stay cool for 20min session! lol but it would be intresting if you could keep the intake cooler for the first 10 min! lol and if you are running an intercooler as well as the chargecooler it might help. hmmmm maybe you could rig up a Hobbs switch and at a preset boost level start the pump for the charge cooler. that way you wouln't be weasting the dry ice until you where in boost? just an idea.

a guy on one of the UK boards also cools his fuel down. have you thought about this? maybe running your fuel lines through the tank to help pull some heat out. he says that fuel at about 0degrees C is the best temp to go for (from his testing).

any plan to ge tthe car on the dyno and see how much additioanl power you are making with your supper cool intake charge temps? Have you thought about fitting a large heat exchange or dont you think its needed? I know the WW2 aircraft used to run a 50/50 mix of weater and gylconal (sp?) for their cooling systems due to the chance of icing, maybe a 50/50 mix would work well for you?

Oh and where are the pics????
Hey I have been thinking of cooling the fuel I know this was done back in the old days with alot of success that will be my next project. The car is at Heintz Racing now getting a blower cam, 90mm fast intake and a Nick Williams throttle body and we are going to dyno next week. We are going to run it first with no fluid and then do some pulls with straight meth and dryice so we will see if the numbers change with colder iat's also I posted some pics awhile back you can do a search for " Finally some pics of my water to air for my procharged f body" and please remember I didn't know how to weld aluminum until I started this project lol Ive been practicing alot so they look alot better now j

Quick Reply: water to air for procharged f body