Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Guys running WILSON intake manifolds come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The old saying "a day late and a dollar short", bummer......

Kurt
Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
square port-it was sold yesterday.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
so shawn, after you talk about bad port with fi and still make power.

what would a person see going from say a ls2 intake to a marcella? or to a custum sheet metal intake. or hell going from a single plan to the marcella?

i am maining asking cause is it worth 3k? or can you get just as good flow from a single plan?
is it worth 3k-well what's your engine worth?

Let me break this down as simple as possible.Say you are running a single turbo car that makes 1200hp.More than likely you are running one wideband o2 after the turbo and no egt's.So you are tuning based off the average of all the cylinders.Now 90% of the intakes out there have atleast a 10% difference in airflow from the worst cylinders to the best on a fi application.So now you have 2 cylinders running 5% rich and 2 other 5% lean and the others somewhere in between.The cylinders that are 5% rich are going to be down on power due to over fueling and the ones 5% lean could be in danger of detonation or scoring the piston wall or burning a valve.If you have a manifold that is 3% or less,now all the cylinders are running alot closer together-the ones that were rich are making more power and the ones that were lean are not in harms way anymore.

we've learned alot about intake manifold design over the years through lots of dyno testing,in cylinder pressure test equipment really shows alot that other data won't show.I can tell you this-while there may be alot of people making sheetmetal intakes-i've only found one that understands airflow on a fi application-and that's why we use his stuff exclusively.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from all the diff. engines and combos yall have ran through....what intake has the best airflow distribution/closest egt's for the average person/build???

fast, ls6, single plane etc..
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jsut so we are on the same page. EGT exhaust gas temp? correct? well then can't i just put that sensor in? like i have seen the kits with 8 temp probs.

or are you saying with the sheetmetal i will have a intake that is 3% and doesnt need the EGT stuff?

is it worth 3k-well what's your engine worth?

Let me break this down as simple as possible.Say you are running a single turbo car that makes 1200hp.More than likely you are running one wideband o2 after the turbo and no egt's.So you are tuning based off the average of all the cylinders.Now 90% of the intakes out there have atleast a 10% difference in airflow from the worst cylinders to the best on a fi application.So now you have 2 cylinders running 5% rich and 2 other 5% lean and the others somewhere in between.The cylinders that are 5% rich are going to be down on power due to over fueling and the ones 5% lean could be in danger of detonation or scoring the piston wall or burning a valve.If you have a manifold that is 3% or less,now all the cylinders are running alot closer together-the ones that were rich are making more power and the ones that were lean are not in harms way anymore.

we've learned alot about intake manifold design over the years through lots of dyno testing,in cylinder pressure test equipment really shows alot that other data won't show.I can tell you this-while there may be alot of people making sheetmetal intakes-i've only found one that understands airflow on a fi application-and that's why we use his stuff exclusively.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is equal port distribution achieved in the pictured designs? They appear to all have the same length and volume runners, and all be front fed.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
If you not looking to extract every once of power from a combination then whats the point of dropping BIG coin of a those parts?
Because they look so damn good !!!!!

I would love an intake like that, for looks alone. I wouldnt even care if it made more or less power !!

While there is no comparison, its the very reason I chose a carb intake + fabricated elbow. For looks. I dont believe for one second it performs better than a stock LS6 intake for my needs.
It just looks nicer.

In the right hands, aluminium fabrication really is a work of art.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Because they look so damn good !!!!!

I would love an intake like that, for looks alone. I wouldnt even care if it made more or less power !!
My point exactly....
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL as good as it looks, for 3 large it better do something!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

I just checked out the pics and I think I sprouted wood.

What kind of $$ for a Marcella?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About $3300 for a LS application. Depends on options. Thats direct from John. Spoke with him the other day. Real nice guy.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose if you spend the coin on the nice motor to handle XXXXhp, what's another 3k on a nice great flowing intake?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Restricted User

These short runner, sheetmetal intakes always move the powerband way up. Which equals pig off boost. For a max effort race car, it's required but otherwise you will be sacrificing streetable performance for bling. That is not the case with the Wilson with it's longer billet CNC'd runners. Pretty much the same approach as the FAST 102's but in aluminum.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
These short runner, sheetmetal intakes always move the powerband way up. Which equals pig off boost. For a max effort race car, it's required but otherwise you will be sacrificing streetable performance for bling. That is not the case with the Wilson with it's longer billet CNC'd runners. Pretty much the same approach as the FAST 102's but in aluminum.
really?how many of them have you used?because all the ones i used say the opposite.On Phil's we can make 8lbs at 3500 rpm and shift at 7500.In fact we run a converter that is made for a 600+ n2o engine.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

How is equal port distribution achieved in the pictured designs? They appear to all have the same length and volume runners, and all be front fed.
it all about where the main air column is compared to the ends of the runners and how the air flows through the plenum.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Restricted User

really?how many of them have you used?because all the ones i used say the opposite.On Phil's we can make 8lbs at 3500 rpm and shift at 7500.In fact we run a converter that is made for a 600+ n2o engine.
I excluded max effort race cars.

Gonna go way out on a limb and say that the short runner intake pictured all the way to the left isn't what's on Phil's car. SN95 has a bit more head room under the hood.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I dont see how anyone could call a 6.0+ engine a pig off boost.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tend to agree with you. I'm not worried about that one bit after speaking with john marcella the other day. He basically said the one thing that is always going to limit, to an extent what he can do with any intake is the clearance under the hood. He indicated clearly in our conversation that it would be no problem to create an intake that would be responsive out of boost, yet flow nicely up top. And I think the LT1 SS hood opening(underside of the hood) will work to our benefit for some extra space to accomodate the manifold.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
I tend to agree with you. I'm not worried about that one bit after speaking with john marcella the other day. He basically said the one thing that is always going to limit, to an extent what he can do with any intake is the clearance under the hood. He indicated clearly in our conversation that it would be no problem to create an intake that would be responsive out of boost, yet flow nicely up top. And I think the LT1 SS hood opening(underside of the hood) will work to our benefit for some extra space to accomodate the manifold.
The problem isnt the hood so much as the cowl. Make sure that you try out more than one intake. No matter what you put on there first, it will feel fast. My experience with tuning cars and actually having run one (not a Marcella) on my own vehicle, they always go rich down low and a little lean up top(before tuning). We've done some head to head engine dyno testing on them as well and it shows the same thing. Again, I'm talking about the short runner design required to fit under an fbody cowl.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah meant to mention the cowl,which as you pointed out is the biggest issue in these cars with a sheetmetal intake. From what I have seen the Marcella looks like the best way to go for me. I was almost 100% sold on the wilson, but am having some doubts about it now. I can afford the Marcella or Wilson, so it just comes down to which is going to perform better with my setup.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

The problem isnt the hood so much as the cowl. Make sure that you try out more than one intake. No matter what you put on there first, it will feel fast. My experience with tuning cars and actually having run one (not a Marcella) on my own vehicle, they always go rich down low and a little lean up top(before tuning). We've done some head to head engine dyno testing on them as well and it shows the same thing. Again, I'm talking about the short runner design required to fit under an fbody cowl.
if the engine is built properly(proper compression,camshaft,cylinder head size)the turbo(s) are sized properly,piping sized properly,tuned properly and the intake is built properly-the short intake runner will not hurt the low end power.Most people tend to use too low of compression,the wrong camshaft and too big of turbos and then they need all the help they can get to make low end power.

Quick Reply: Guys running WILSON intake manifolds come in