Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS guys come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation STS guys come in

so new to the entire turbo thing.....nitrous for my ws6.....but i am looking into another 4th gen as a DD and want to get a sts kit complete...my question is with basic bolt ons and a hot cam in a ls1 with ls6 intake and 80mm tb Lts and no cats would it be decent to run an sts with that set up??? or what cam would you recommend on a stock block with 60k on it to optimize that small turbos potiential assuming i will be running under 5 lbs of boost and maybe a meth kit (sts is comming with that).

turbo is a t60-1

also how do you guys like the kit in general?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

many ppl will tell you that you can build something better by piecing it togther yourself. instead of an actual sts kit.
alot of ppl use 2.5 exhaust tubing and stock cast iron manifolds wrapped. it improves spool time for the rear mounted turbos.
upgrade toset of 317s, will lower the scr and flow better than stock. so u can run up to 10psi on pump gas with fmic and correct tune.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
many ppl will tell you that you can build something better by piecing it togther yourself. instead of an actual sts kit.
alot of ppl use 2.5 exhaust tubing and stock cast iron manifolds wrapped. it improves spool time for the rear mounted turbos.
upgrade toset of 317s, will lower the scr and flow better than stock. so u can run up to 10psi on pump gas with fmic and correct tune.
well those are the mods on the car currently 853 heads and LTs with no cats ...the sts is very cheap (he has a finanical situation) and a deal i really cant pass up...

241 317s 243s would be better upgrade but what the hell it's just gunna be my DD lol if i could get a decent set at a good price i might just do that

will a hot cam 219/228 .525/.525 with that sts be ok or what would recommend
Old 07-14-2010, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You setup will run fine... make two changes if/when you can... ditch the LT's (Sell them) and go back to Manifolds... take that money from selling them and buy yourself a larger turbo (70-76mm)... keep your boost at 5-6lbs and you will have a blast.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longrange4u
You setup will run fine... make two changes if/when you can... ditch the LT's (Sell them) and go back to Manifolds... take that money from selling them and buy yourself a larger turbo (70-76mm)... keep your boost at 5-6lbs and you will have a blast.
a buddy told me that...the stock manifolds help with lag? what about shorties? i guess for the money manifolds vs shorties wouldnt be worth it ....

on that 70-76mm turbo anyone have any recommendations as to manufacturer or brand is better over ther other?...remember it still will be a DD car i already have one stupid fast but would just like an edge
i feel retarded i know **** about turbos lol there is alway time to learn
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get stock manifolds. The cast iron will hold heat better keeping the exhaust velocity up which will help with spoiling. Wrap the exhaust from there back to make spool even quicker. Past that upgrade the turbo and research mode many do to the cold side piping. The hot cam probably isn't the best option but should be fine.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

i choose...................Turbonetics up to around a 76 or 78

But seriously, ditch the long tubes, shorties will work ok, BUT WRAP THEM. You must wrap your exhaust or you will be dissapointed. The idea is to keep the heat as best you can. Like longerange4u stated, 5-6lb and youll have a fun little street car that will sound cool and surprise most.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM
9 Second Club

I would say anthing smaller than a PT76GTS... but not any larger... if your gonna keep it low boost (without going through your motor)... you may just want a FI66 with a 72mm turbine wheel. Call Jose at ForcedInduction (Sponsor) and he will square you away... I always go to him for my turbos.

If you are keeping short block stock... keep your boost a 6lbs or less... address your fuel system (reccomend you go with 60lb HI injectors) and get a goooood tune. There is no reason you couldnt run 600RWHP with that.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys
yeah i want to be over 400 but under 500 with this specific car
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an STS system on my '95 Z, and all the issues I have had with the system, have not been related to the system. Tuning is very important. If we are talking an LS1 F-Body, you are safe with running more boost than I can. ZL1Killa's post is very helpful indeed. Take a looksie at that.

Quick Reply: STS guys come in