Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost with Non FMVB th400, solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost with Non FMVB th400, solutions?

So im currently a broke *** and have a non full manual valve body th400 with my turbo'd 5.3 setup... So i need to see if there is any solutions to make it work with the valve body i have... I'm going to get a FMVB soon but its not in the budget right now...

Any help here?

Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your transmission broken? If not hook up a tv cable to it. Why are you saying that you need a manual valve body? Reverse or forward? Your combo sounds kind of tame.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

B&M or Transgo kit.
Call JakesPerformance.....
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Is your transmission broken? If not hook up a tv cable to it. Why are you saying that you need a manual valve body? Reverse or forward? Your combo sounds kind of tame.

T400 doesn't even use a cable.....just a kick down switch. (electric SPST switch)
You have to use it IIRC for full pressure. Not positive on that since I've never built one. Just 350's & 60E's.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have any vacuum line hooked up right now on the th400, i was told it needs to be hooked to a vacuum source, but with the turbo stuff that vacuum line would get boost instead of vacuum once it builds some boost so i'm asking if there is anything different i need to do other that hook the tranny vacuum line straight up to a vacuum port?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Check valve in the line to prevent over pressure of the modulator.
I saw a post a few weeks back about pressure problems and boost. So a search on the Turbo Forums may help.
Some kits put a plug in place of the modulator.
I remember something else beside the check valve is done, but not what.
Call Transgo and say you have one of there kits but want to keep the modulator.
Ask what to do.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Launching!

I run a stock valvebodied TH400. Just go to any parts house and get a check valve. They only cost a couple bucks. I used the one that was on my car that went to the HVAC controls. Its a three way check valve. Havent had a bit of problems.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dean95z28
I run a stock valvebodied TH400. Just go to any parts house and get a check valve. They only cost a couple bucks. I used the one that was on my car that went to the HVAC controls. Its a three way check valve. Havent had a bit of problems.
Ok so do i need a two or three way check valve? Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

It will be a 3 way checkvalve so it can pull vacuum on the modulator at light throttle, but block pressure from going to the modulator, and vent any pressure on the modulator.

There isn't really any problem running an automatic VB with boost. I have built TH400's for 1000+ HP forced induction combos.

Some of you guys probably know TurboDave or have bought turbo stuff from him.
I did his Th400 several years ago.
Video here:
http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/vid...//dynoday2.wmv

It put 720 to the wheels on that run. Pretty tame TT'd 357 cid SBC in a '69 Chevelle.

There are some mods that need to be done inside the trans for the power (dual feed the direct clutches), and there are a couple of other things that need to be done with the modulator system on a FI combo so you don't get a pressure drop.

If you are building it yourself, PM me for details.
Don't fall for the "You are making too much power for a automatic VB" excuse from a builder that doesn't understand the hydraulics. The clutches don't know if they are being shifted by a shift valve (automatic) or a manual valve (manual via shifter), nor do they care, so long as they have adequate pressure for a given power level.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
It will be a 3 way checkvalve so it can pull vacuum on the modulator at light throttle, but block pressure from going to the modulator, and vent any pressure on the modulator.

There isn't really any problem running an automatic VB with boost. I have built TH400's for 1000+ HP forced induction combos.

Some of you guys probably know TurboDave or have bought turbo stuff from him.
I did his Th400 several years ago.
Video here:
http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/vid...//dynoday2.wmv

It put 720 to the wheels on that run. Pretty tame TT'd 357 cid SBC in a '69 Chevelle.

There are some mods that need to be done inside the trans for the power (dual feed the direct clutches), and there are a couple of other things that need to be done with the modulator system on a FI combo so you don't get a pressure drop.

If you are building it yourself, PM me for details.
Don't fall for the "You are making too much power for a automatic VB" excuse from a builder that doesn't understand the hydraulics. The clutches don't know if they are being shifted by a shift valve (automatic) or a manual valve (manual via shifter), nor do they care, so long as they have adequate pressure for a given power level.
Thanks man! The tranny is already built, just had it built before i decided to go the turbo route, so i didnt put a FMVB in it. I'll go pick up the check valve this week! Thanks so much!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could anywhere tell me where to get a 3-way check valve?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transgo pt number VBP-VAC

Quick Reply: Boost with Non FMVB th400, solutions?