Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Still breaking up and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Also, not sure if it has been mentioned but a slightly damaged reluctor could become a problem at higher RPM's. Maybe when the oil pushes back to the back of the pan, it's having problems picking up the damaged tooth? I'm just reaching here as it seems that you have addressed all the obvious stuff.
Yea I've heard that can cause it I never thought to much about it since it's ok on the dyno but now that you mention oil sloshing off the reluctor that could explain it. Would the car throw a code for the crank sensor if this was the problem or would it be to quick.

I'm going to run it with no boost and see what happens also going to try it with a smaller pulley depending on the results with no boost.

Thanks for all the ideas hopefully the problem will finally turn up we'll have it well documented for others.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Talking It hadn't

Originally Posted by laughatrice
Fuel slosh was one of the first thing I assumed since I had a crappy DIY fuel bucket with two pumps jammed in there. Anyway I put lonnies kit in no change and I'm not using the HOBBS switch as not to complicate this problem further.

Interesting would you say the car did the same thing where it lost all power at high rpms and then proceeded to sputter die and backfire. If so I'll replace the injectors ASAP of course I'll have to probably retune it.

Yea no kidding about the crank I can't imagine the stress this is putting on my engine trying to diagnose this.
Gotten to the backfire point, but had a miss, and weird plug readings.
As for the + draw..What does the batt voltage show on the logs?? [I don't have HPT]
Batt in the trunk? How are the cables run? Using the body as a ground?
Can you set up a pid to log fuel psi?

Last edited by Old Geezer; 08-01-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Question Airc..

Also, not sure if it has been mentioned but a slightly damaged reluctor could become a problem at higher RPM's. Maybe when the oil pushes back to the back of the pan, it's having problems picking up the damaged tooth? I'm just reaching here as it seems that you have addressed all the obvious stuff.
there was a thread about this, recently.
Someone had devised a way to test wheel run out thru the sensor hole, comes to mind.
A bore scope could allow a look, w/o disassembling the engine?

Off the cuff: Does the t-400 have the converter circuit modified to control psi?
Excessive psi will push the verter off the support, and can trash the thrust brg.[Many v-sicks Buicks suffered this fate!]
Could it be, the thrust is worn enuf to allow the crank sensor wheel to move far enuf to cause the signal loss?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
Gotten to the backfire point, but had a miss, and weird plug readings.
As for the + draw..What does the batt voltage show on the logs?? [I don't have HPT]
Batt in the trunk? How are the cables run? Using the body as a ground?
Can you set up a pid to log fuel psi?
Usually about 12.5 or 12.6 via hptuners pretty steady the whole time. Batt is still up front. Theres a couple of grounds off the battery an extra one to the chasis and then the one to the block also added another one from the block to the chassis again.

We logged fuel psi by using a oil pressure gauge and a hp tuners PID it was doing like it should.

Off the cuff: Does the t-400 have the converter circuit modified to control psi?
Excessive psi will push the verter off the support, and can trash the thrust brg.[Many v-sicks Buicks suffered this fate!]
Could it be, the thrust is worn enuf to allow the crank sensor wheel to move far enuf to cause the signal loss?

You lost me a little bit there I'll try my best to answer I don't know much about different types of converters and transmissions. I installed my converted and took it on and off a few times it doesn't have anything hooked up to it or the transmission it's all mechanical (hope that answers what your asking).
If I'm following you correctly you mean excessive pressure inside the converter causing it to move away from the transmission towards the thrust brg causing damage. I'm not sure I assume if I pulled the transmission this would be fairly obvious where the converter meets the engine. I have a spacer in between my converter and the crank converter needed it for an LS1. The clearance was right though when I checked. This is the first thing that actually pertains to when all this started I had just changed out the converter first time I ran it after I swapped it so it caught my attention.

Last edited by laughatrice; 08-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a charging problem couldn't that be the issue?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking Here's a..

[QUOTE=laughatrice;13677683]Usually about 12.5 or 12.6 via hptuners pretty steady the whole time. Batt is still up front. Theres a couple of grounds off the battery an extra one to the chasis and then the one to the block also added another one from the block to the chassis again.

We logged fuel psi by using a oil pressure gauge and a hp tuners PID it was doing like it should.

You lost me a little bit there I'll try my best to answer I don't know much about different types of converters and transmissions. I installed my converted and took it on and off a few times it doesn't have anything hooked up to it or the transmission it's all mechanical (hope that answers what your asking).

If I'm following you correctly you mean excessive pressure inside the converter causing it to move away from the transmission towards the thrust brg causing damage. I'm not sure I assume if I pulled the transmission this would be fairly obvious where the converter meets the engine. I have a spacer in between my converter and the crank converter needed it for an LS1. The clearance was right though when I checked. This is the first thing that actually pertains to when all this started I had just changed out the converter first time I ran it after I swapped it so it caught my attention.
good thread at TB.com. This has been a problem w/ the Buicks. Here's a thread involving a LS engine...Don W. [Don ****] is the guy I learned the fix from, as my v-sicks/t-400 combo ate the thrust brg.
Check the crank end play. If it's way too much, the crank sensor / wheel may be out of line enuf to cause this problem..

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...s-big-ls2.html

Camarod may have a good point. I think that 12.5v is low. When under boost, the load on the plugs/coils/wiring goes up. [hi cyl psi.] I'd want to see at least 13.2+.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Yea I thought 12.5 was a little low and that's what it reads off my voltmeter as well once the car is warm when it's cold it's around 14. I changed the alternator with a stock replacement it didn't change this at all maybe I need a high output alternator. I have quite a few accesories drawing off the + post and my fuel pump hot wires connect right to the alternator I may remove my accessories and see if I get a higher voltage reading.

I took my voltmeter through the fusebox and got pretty consistent readings some of the fuses were a few tenth's lower than other but I don't think too significant.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is at 13v when it's at full op temp. You can go down to 11.5 without any issues. I wouldn't go down that road at this point.

Check your pigtails and make sure that they are making good contact on your sensors. I just discovered this problem with my TPS today. It has driven me batshit crazy for the last couple months trying to figure out what was going on. Totally intermittent.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Launching!

I spent quite a bit of time driving it today and working on it. I changed the pulley to reduce boost checked a bunch of wires couldn't find anything.

Couple observations while driving around it only seems to do it when the engine becomes unloaded during wheel spin. It's like the PCM can't keep up with rapid changes of engine load, RPM and boost. If the car is rolling about 40mph or so and I go WOT it seems to be fine and just pull on along it's only at low MPH usually. Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Launching!

swapped out injector box no change
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you CHECK crank end play??
What do the data logs show regarding MAP change, when the engine unloads due to spinning the tires??
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Here's what I've found so far. The fuse under the hood INJ1 has a constant current of 2.2V even if the car is off I can also pick this same 2.2V up at the coil packs and where the injector wires out of the PCM. Also on the Ignition relay at the 87 pin shows the same current.

Any ideas to where this is orginating from I'm still doing the trial and error method but I'm hoping this is my problem it doesn't sound normal to me.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Launching!

So i tracked down the source of the feedback voltage. It has something to do with my SLP fan control harness when that thing is hooked into the harness the voltage is present when I remove it the voltage is back to zero. I removed it no change in the cars performance.

Just checking things since I've already replaced the crank sensor should I replace the cam sensor too. I know it's generally associated with starting issues but fine once running but if it was intermittent could it cause issues up high?

If this isn't it I'm going down the crank reluctor wheel and crankshaft end play route but that's a big job.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried putting the fuel pump on a switch? Bypassing the relays.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Have you tried putting the fuel pump on a switch? Bypassing the relays.
No but it's definitely worth a shot I have switched the relays out but yea that isn't really the same as hot wiring the pumps. I guess I could do the same thing with the ignition.

I started thinking the reluctor wheel is screwed up so I started checking out my transmission to block connection and the damn dowel pins for the tranny have fallen out I'm not sure if this is causing some flex in there when the engine torques over but it's not good so I'm going to replace those.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

"If this isn't it I'm going down the crank reluctor wheel and crankshaft end play route but that's a big job."
It's not a big job. Just bar the balancer back and forth. If it moves more than a "RCH", the thrust is gone.

How in hell did the dowel pins get gone??? Have you knocked them out, before, and they were loose?
No pins, and the trans will move around! The bolts are not a register for the trans case.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Launching!

"If this isn't it I'm going down the crank reluctor wheel and crankshaft end play route but that's a big job."
It's not a big job. Just bar the balancer back and forth. If it moves more than a "RCH", the thrust is gone.

How in hell did the dowel pins get gone??? Have you knocked them out, before, and they were loose?
No pins, and the trans will move around! The bolts are not a register for the trans case.
As for the dowel pins I have no idea. My concern is the new ones will just fall out too though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb Fairly

As for the dowel pins I have no idea. My concern is the new ones will just fall out too though.
easy to do...
Drill a hole from the edge of the block, into the dowel pin bore. Tap it for a set screw. Install the dowels w/ locktite, run the set screws in, and U R done...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Well you had it right clearance is .042 it's moving around quite a bit.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

.042" end play, that's it!

Well you had it right clearance is .042 it's moving around quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Still breaking up and backfiring