Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Still breaking up and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 267 Likes on 101 Posts

Was this the cause of the TPS flicker? Had a similar problem on mine for sometime,,,,,,drove me crazy.

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Mine is at 13v when it's at full op temp. You can go down to 11.5 without any issues. I wouldn't go down that road at this point.

Check your pigtails and make sure that they are making good contact on your sensors. I just discovered this problem with my TPS today. It has driven me batshit crazy for the last couple months trying to figure out what was going on. Totally intermittent.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does the same exact thing! Have u had ne luck figuring it out yet?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation That's enough..

Originally Posted by laughatrice
Well you had it right clearance is .042 it's moving around quite a bit.
to cause loss of cks, and ***** up the firing order....
Now, disconnect the converter, and see how far it will push back into the trans. [Mine is an original install, and is at .160" back]. [You MUST determine the cause of this failure, B4 you proceed.]
Then pull the engine, take the pan off while it's still right side up. [So the **** doesn't fall up into the cam, etc.]
Once the pan is off, roll it over, & take a look at the cks wheel and the sensor alignment, w/ the crank full back, and full forward.
The engine WILL have to be completely disassembled, cleaned out, new brgs, etc, installed. Pay attention to the lifters.. they must be flushed, too.

Sorry to see it's more than a quik fix!
Post some pics of the brgs once you get to that point.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
Was this the cause of the TPS flicker? Had a similar problem on mine for sometime,,,,,,drove me crazy.
Yes and it was so intermitent at first that it could only be seen in a log at 100th of a sec intervals. Just enough to drive me batshit crazy for 2 months. I was just telling a buddy that I was so mad that for 2 weeks, I would walk by her and call her a ****. LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Yes and it was so intermitent at first that it could only be seen in a log at 100th of a sec intervals. Just enough to drive me batshit crazy for 2 months. I was just telling a buddy that I was so mad that for 2 weeks, I would walk by her and call her a ****. LOL
Wasn't it giving you fits with the 98 pcm last year too?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
to cause loss of cks, and ***** up the firing order....
Now, disconnect the converter, and see how far it will push back into the trans. [Mine is an original install, and is at .160" back]. [You MUST determine the cause of this failure, B4 you proceed.]
Then pull the engine, take the pan off while it's still right side up. [So the **** doesn't fall up into the cam, etc.]
Once the pan is off, roll it over, & take a look at the cks wheel and the sensor alignment, w/ the crank full back, and full forward.
The engine WILL have to be completely disassembled, cleaned out, new brgs, etc, installed. Pay attention to the lifters.. they must be flushed, too.

Sorry to see it's more than a quik fix!
Post some pics of the brgs once you get to that point.
Hey man I'm just thankful you were able to help me get this figured out. It sucks the engine is coming out it's almost out at the moment by the way. The converter will push back .230-.240. It's got that adapter on the front of it for LS motors it came with the flex plate not sure if that is part of the problem. The converter BTE made me didn't have the long enough snout for the LS1.

I will NOT be reinstalling any of this transmission stuff until I figure this out don't want to risk that again. Anyway I'll make sure I do what you said about tearing the engine down and I'll get some pictures up in the next week or so.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this same problem last year. Lost the thrust bearing and crank was moving .050". Would only show up at WOT throttle. Look close at the hub of that spacer where it slips into the end of the crank. Had to machine mine some.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

As I mentioned B4, [Does the t-400 have the converter circuit modified to control psi?
Excessive psi will push the verter off the support, and can trash the thrust brg.] Remember to check w/ your trans builder to see if this has been addressed.

Here's a thread from Turbobuick.com, that has some BS posts in it. But overall, it goes into the problem w/ thrust failure due to excessive psi in the T-400.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...-bearings.html

Last edited by Old Geezer; 08-07-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
As I mentioned B4, [Does the t-400 have the converter circuit modified to control psi?
Excessive psi will push the verter off the support, and can trash the thrust brg.] Remember to check w/ your trans builder to see if this has been addressed.

Here's a thread from Turbobuick.com, that has some BS posts in it. But overall, it goes into the problem w/ thrust failure due to excessive psi in the T-400.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...-bearings.html
I will ask the builder to verify but I think I'm going to go back to a 6 speed. T400 has been fun but I think I'm done.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Launching!

As soon as I pulled the oil pan off found bearing material in the pickup screen as well as the bottom of the pan good call on not turning it upside down to remove the pan. Pulled the center main cap off bearing was trashed crank had color change from the heat and also developed a nice crack! I'll know later in the week if I'm going to fix the block or not. It may not be worth it to re-build a 1999 orginal LS1 block when I'm trying to make 1000RWHP here in 2010.

Chunk missing out of crank
Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Red face Damn!!!

That sucker is TOAST! It's a shame as the crank block look like they've been worked on, too.
Did you buy the engine already assembled? If so, I'd bet it was hurt when you got it.
@1000RWHP, I think I'd look at a 6.0 cast iron, some more CI, and go for it!

Sorry to see the mess....
Old 08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Yea it was a Katech 418CI it's about 5 years old 10K miles or so before I swapped in the T400 and swiftly ended it it's life. That was a dragonslayer crank. Now I need to get a plan together.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on finding the problem. Sorry to see that's what you found but it's better to know. Now you can focus your thoughts on things that you can control.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by laughatrice
I've nearly reached the end of the road with what to do to solve this. I've brought up this problem at different stages trying to solve it and since it's progressed quite a bit further I'll try again to get someone who might have an idea of what's wrong with.

The problem is every time you get in it WOT and the rpms get around 6K sometimes less it just breaks up backfires sputters and proceeds to like clockwork shoot a flame out the exhaust. Here's the kicker so far we can't reproduce on the dyno only on pavement.

LS1 418CI Camaro
F1A Procharger @17 PSI
TH400 with 730RWHP
96LB Delphi LI Injectors
TR8 Plugs tried all gaps from .018-.030
Tuned for 93 octane have run 112 octane to try and rule out pre-ign
Timing around 16* depending on circumstances have brought it all the way back to 10* again to rule out detonation.
Lonnies twin pumper kit -8 feed with boost reference regulator fuel pressure is good and boost reference is working correctly.
3 Bar MAP
Open loop SD tune

The whole entire wiring harness has been removed checked inside and out and no problems. The PCM has been swapped out as well. Changed the battery and alternator added grounds checked grounds swapped out the + wire to the starter alternator and battery. Starter has been replaced. Crank position sensor has been replaced. TPS has been replaced. Valve springs are patriot dual springs.

The only thing I can say is that when it's relatively cold not heat soaked it doesn't do it. The hotter it gets the easier it seems to do it. One observation and the reason I changed the alternator is the when cold the voltmeter says 14-14.5 once it heats up the voltage 12.5-13 the new alternator does the same thing.

It really seems electrical in nature since it's not just one cylinder dropping off its all of them like there's a major short or it runs out of juice.

The trigger for this was when I re flashed my TQ to a lower stall it was way loose before. This obviously loads the engine more. The tune worked before now it doesn't I did have it retuned on the dyno but only very minor tweaks were needed and it ran perfect. Once on the track it started this.

I know it's a lot of stuff but the pro's around here are giving up and just want to tear everything down to try and find it (which we may do) but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Just wanted to say it may be your coils breaking down due to the high boost...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

I'm confused, is the crank cracked because of the torque converter/ trans?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take those plugs and trash them run br7efs gapped out of the box.

And the reason you cant duplicate it on the dyno is because of it seems like it has something to do with your fuel or loose wiring in ur tankwhen force is applied at the rear of the car causing the pump not to pick up the proper amount of fuel or loose wiring connection. Do you have a factory tank? hot wire kit or direct wiring? also have u changed all of your spark plug wires?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last 3 posters, take a look at the dates.... This is a 2010 thread...
Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

They ovbiously didn't read through the thread, or look at the pictures (Minus the 1 guy lol) On another note good call on the reluctor wheel/ End play as the cause Geezer!

Quick Reply: Still breaking up and backfiring