Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going from a 22x19x2 to a 24x19x1 to try and solve over heating problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I designed my twin turbo kit each turbo was fed coolant from each cylinder head, and then the return lines went from each turbo to the hose btween the rad and thermostat. I also overheated. I realized soon after that by adding turbos to the system I was disrupting the cooling effect of the rad by having the coolant lines return to the "cold side of the system". I were you I would isolate the problem. I temporarilly eliminated the coolat to the turbos No thormostat my ect dropped 45 degrees. No matter how hard j ran
the car it would no go past 150, And this with a stock size single core rad. I re routed the coolant lines so that the turbos are fed coolant from te driver side cylinder head, and both returns go to the hose thats the hottest between the wp and the rad. My down pipes are right behind the rad 1 inch away uncoated, ni made my own fan shroud out of sheetmetal and I have just one fan and with no t stat my ect never higher then 165. I hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Second Club

My turbo is air cooled... I really think switching to the single core chevy style in/out will make a difference..I know the fan wont have to work as hard to cool and the radiator wont be right up against the cross over.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Radiator came in today...im going to get it set up and run the car without the turbo..I should know pretty quickly if it worked or not.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Well, update on the situation. Since I dont have the turbo yet I can't drive it..but prelim shows a success. I let the car warm up to 195* degrees(with no thermo)and even the cross over isnt wrapped..then turned the fan on(I only installed one) and immediately the temps went down...which never happened before..even with the bumper off and two fans on the temps would never go down just stabilize and very slowly rise..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Glad to see this was finally sorted out. I'm attempting the LS swap shortly and am reading all your old threads to learn as much as possible.

I tried to PM you, but there option doesn't come up in the menu. Do you have it turned off?

Also, I have to have 50 posts before I can post in the classifieds and PM is making it hard to remember who I'm talking to about what over 3-4 forums so I will be bumping some of your old threads with random posts. Just wanted to let you know I'm not some kind of whacko or stalker. Vas knows me a bit from over at my350z.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

lol no problem. PM me and ill shoot you my number on the other forum.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Teching In

I'm trying to PM, but when I click on your name the option doesn't come up?? WTF? Maybe you can have get me your number, I need to get him my cell as well. Are you still on my350z?

I purchased my LS2/T56 dropout last night... no turning back now.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

I havent fixed the issue yet but im pretty sure I can fix it now. Im going to add an F-body style "scoop" under the radiator to help direct air up to it while moving, im also going to get a fan shroud to help pull from the whole radiator, and then im going to get an oil cooler on the car to help take some pressure off the radiator when cooling the engine. Im also going to try to cover the top of the radiator area so any air entering from the front doesnt go over it. If after doing all that it doesn't solve the issue then im **** out of luck.

Quick Reply: Going from a 22x19x2 to a 24x19x1 to try and solve over heating problem...