Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS kit got me an Tax audit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

so the shipper declared the value at 4850? the use tax on that is 6.25% ~$303. you can try and argue the declared value is wrong,but you'll need proof. if the turbo's are knock-off's why did they put such a high declared value on it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
you can try and argue the declared value is wrong,but you'll need proof. if the turbo's are knock-off's why did they put such a high declared value on it.
That's kinda how you screw people. Tell them it's something it's not.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Bob said it's really just the sales tax. When you buy something out of state (and no sales tax was paid/collected) you are suppose to file a use tax return to pay the sales tax since no sales tax was collected and remitted to the state. If you live in a state that charges sales tax, most, if not all those states would require you to file a use tax return on items purchased where no sales tax was collected (like many mail order purchases). A company like Dell has a presence in many states so they actually collect taxes for the states. My understanding is that most of these items are caught from information obtained from the shipping companies (not sure which documents). I have a friend that bought furniture from the carolinas and received a notice from the state for the use tax.

Quick Reply: APS kit got me an Tax audit.