Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gear drive on the street: Durability???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Gear drive on the street: Durability???

Not for an everyday driver, but for a weekend car, 200 mile road cruises every now and then.

Only think that would bother me......are the gears lubricated in any way? Is this an issue?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most all industrial engines that run 365 days a year run gear drive drive train with much greater loads. I would not expect there to ever be an issue with a gear drive in the LS1.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

gear drives eat alot of hp.they are far more durable than a timing chain though.We use them alot in marine engines.never used one on an ls.On bbc's and sbc's we drill a tiny hole in one of the oil galley plugs to spray oil on the gears.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about a chain drive? work pretty well for timing chains and on bikes.....

Chris.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about a gear drive for a centrifugal blower or for a timing set?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

ahh-s/c gear drive-didn't even think about that.

I haven't seen one of those last very long on a race car.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

He stumped me there too. I would think the gear drive would have to be inclosed to keep the grit out and to self lub. A chain would work good, but it would require a lot of upkeep. Neet idea.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, sorry guys. I am talking about a gear drive set up for a procharger. Not a type of cam drive. Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the durability of these things.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think they would be ok for short burst stuff. They have oil in the gear case, although it is not much (I think both types use 4 oz). The gear case oil might overheat in steady freeway type driving, but should be ok in local cruise type stuff.

Kurt
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427
I would think they would be ok for short burst stuff. They have oil in the gear case, although it is not much (I think both types use 4 oz). The gear case oil might overheat in steady freeway type driving, but should be ok in local cruise type stuff.

Kurt
Kurt, could you not use the engine oil? just thinking its alrady under presure and there is plenty of supply? if not then maybe design a lubricating system that has a small sump, pump, coolers and jets?

Whats the problem with the geeardrive setups?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
Most all industrial engines that run 365 days a year run gear drive drive train with much greater loads. I would not expect there to ever be an issue with a gear drive in the LS1.
That what i was thinking. even a bike gearbox will be taking more torque/bhp then a SC wouldn't it? so ally casing should be strong enough.So what causes these gear drive systems to fail? if its because they have to slow the SC down when you close the throttle, could a sprg not be used? these seem to work on the gear drive setups....

Chris.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure they would not work on a long haul, but I would at least put a thermocouple on the gear box and check temps before I went driving off. The gears they use look like a narrowed set of quickchange gears from a sprint car, so load should not be a problem if the temp is ok. Not sure anybody has tried the long haul with them, and it seems it was not the intended use when they were built.
You could probably tie it in with the engine oiling pretty easy, but a little testing first to see if thats needed. The Chassiworks one calls for 4 ounces of Mobil one gear oil, and the supercharger store calls for the same or 4 ounces of Procharger oil. Not sure if long drives might heat this up, or with low load maybe it will never get hot?

Kurt
Originally Posted by chuntington101
Kurt, could you not use the engine oil? just thinking its alrady under presure and there is plenty of supply? if not then maybe design a lubricating system that has a small sump, pump, coolers and jets?

Whats the problem with the geeardrive setups?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427
I am not sure they would not work on a long haul, but I would at least put a thermocouple on the gear box and check temps before I went driving off. The gears they use look like a narrowed set of quickchange gears from a sprint car, so load should not be a problem if the temp is ok. Not sure anybody has tried the long haul with them, and it seems it was not the intended use when they were built.
You could probably tie it in with the engine oiling pretty easy, but a little testing first to see if thats needed. The Chassiworks one calls for 4 ounces of Mobil one gear oil, and the supercharger store calls for the same or 4 ounces of Procharger oil. Not sure if long drives might heat this up, or with low load maybe it will never get hot?

Kurt
Some intresting stuff there Kurt. Maybe a seperate oil cooler/sprayer system could be built into the drive? should only need a little oil cooler.

Chris.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just love the way these thing look

Quick Reply: Gear drive on the street: Durability???