Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV location and FMIC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV location and FMIC question

Runing an STS kit and will be adding a front mount and have a question about the location of the BOV. Can the BOV be located before the intercooler? Does it make a difference if the BOV is located before or after the intercooler or should it be closer to the TB?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

typically you want it close to the TB as possible, I def would not put it before the FMIC. Ive seen em directly on the IC before too
Old 08-08-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ 100% Disagree, you want it before the intercooler other wise your every day driving will be heat soaking the intercooler for no reason,
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it as close to the turbo as possible, as it is designed to keep if from damaging the turbo.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
^^^^ 100% Disagree, you want it before the intercooler other wise your every day driving will be heat soaking the intercooler for no reason,
Ive never had a problem with heat soak and my BOV is less than a foot from my TB. My IATs are about ambient all the time.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

2nd that. You see plenty of kits with the BOV right before the TB but you will be cooling your charge and then releasing it to the atmosphere. That said, I'm running a two in/one out FMIC so I had to put the BOV after the FMIC (contrary to what I think is more efficient) and my AIT's before Meth never get more than 10-15 degrees above ambient even after a full pass.

Rick
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the intercooler is going to heat soak anyway because the BOV stays closed until you lift, so if anything it will cool the FMIC when the pressure drops suddenly. do you really think that 2 or 3 seconds of discharge is going to keep the IC from heat soaking after you just drove down the road for 5 min strait? Let the IC do what its designed to do, shed heat.

The BOV serves more than one purpose, the first is to prevent backspin of the compressor, the second is to keep the motor from breathing boost in the seconds after you lift the throttle and consequently remove the fuel. Backspin will snap the shaft in the turbo and put unwanted backwards pressure on the compressor wheel, going lean has its obvious issues.

as long as the BOV is after the turbo and it works properly it will prevent backspin, both because its down stream and the inertia and flow of the charge air is flowing away from the compressor, it will naturally go out when pressure is dumped. moving the valve closer to the TB will keep it out of the motor too.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
typically you want it close to the TB as possible, I def would not put it before the FMIC. Ive seen em directly on the IC before too
X2 good info!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
the intercooler is going to heat soak anyway because the BOV stays closed until you lift, so if anything it will cool the FMIC when the pressure drops suddenly. do you really think that 2 or 3 seconds of discharge is going to keep the IC from heat soaking after you just drove down the road for 5 min strait?
It may be different for my situation since I'm running a Vortech Race BPV instead of a BOV. My BPV is open till my vacuum drops before 5" so it's basically open about 95% of the time. I'm not sure what the Tial BOV springs that a lot of builds use are rated at but the Vortech Race BOV is just a Vortech Race BPV with a spring that opens around 10-11" so it's also open anytime your cruising.

Rick
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ah ok, I dont think the heat soak would be enough to care about though. If the air is passing through the compressor but not being compressed then the only way it will be heated is by A: friction on the pipes and housing and B: the turbo itself will be hot from exhaust and stuff. long story short, put it where ever you want it after the turbo lol
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info guys some good stuff...as of right now if I install the BOV before the IC I can re use the pipe its on instead of having to relocate it.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres mine:

Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

nice setup...whats the reason for 2 bovs tho?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I wasn't getting rid of enough pressure with the one. It would back spin my turbos at 20psi. I upgraded to 2 of them when I put the new turbos in. Also used anti surge housings.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I know you already figured it out but i just place the bov/bov's where ever i can fit them or want them to be in the engine bay. I really can't see there being much of a difference where there placed performance wise.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

^^^^ 100% Disagree, you want it before the intercooler
other wise your every day driving will be heat soaking the intercooler for no reason,
This man nailed it dead nuts.

There is no reason to blast that unused hot air through the intercooler.
Some have posted they see no affect on the IAT’s , but if they where
auto crossing or road racing where they would be cycling the hell out of the BOV
then they would see the benefits of BOV placement.

Decisions like this all to often are made for esthetics reasons and
the engineering of the system never crosses there mind.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines near the turbo, an stenod was the ones who did this. an they know turbo setups... so id say near the turbo then
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Mine just after Turbo Before Intercooler.... Works Great!

Quick Reply: BOV location and FMIC question