Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Smoking at idle BAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Smoking at idle BAD

having a smoking issue and it's horrible. I have a GT 47-88 the car smokes like a freight train at idle. I've pulled all the plugs theres no oil getting by the rings...is it possible running E-85 would clean the oil off the plugs? Also no oil in the down pipe or upper charge pipe near the throttle body. I haven't pulled any of the lower charge pipes off in the bumper but I'd think id see some oil residue on the throttle body or the pipe going to the throttle body. The throttle body is dry also. The turbo is mounted where the stock battery placement is i'm pretty sure the return line isnt the issue. If you take the car out and beat on it a few times it wont smoke at idle for about 10 minutes then she starts smoking again. I have all of my pcv ports blocked off on the valve covers b/c I am running a LS6 valley cover. We have a breather off the oil fill cap and a check valve from the LS6 valley cover to the throttle body. Any ideas? The smoking is very embarassing. It doesnt smoke in boost just at idle like the cars loading up on oil. The motor is a budget forged 347...the builder who put it together originally (almost 2 years ago) I told them I had no intention of spraying the car when it came to setting up the rings...well i sprayed the car all last year now running a turbo setup. I guess the rings could be shot but I though't id see it on the plugs...? It may be time to join the junkyard truck motor band wagon

Last edited by AutomagicLS1; 08-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plum the LS6 valley plate to a vented catch can and plug the throttlebody elbow where the hose connects.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You likely have oil getting around the turbine seal. Basically the oil that cools the turbo is leaking into your exhaust housing and smoking out the tail pipe. An obstruction to your turbo oil drain or a faulty oil return pump will also cause this problem. Aside from losing oil and being embarasing, this wont hurt anything.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You likely have oil getting around the turbine seal. Basically the oil that cools the turbo is leaking into your exhaust housing and smoking out the tail pipe. An obstruction to your turbo oil drain or a faulty oil return pump will also cause this problem. Aside from losing oil and being embarasing, this wont hurt anything.
I think the rings may be bad now because if you put the palm of your hand over the oil fill cap for a little bit and let off you can feel pressure being released. I'm afraid its the rings letting go. Like I said the motor thats in there I had the shop build it for a n/a setup only. I had no intentions of spraying it but ended up spraying it for a year and now boost. I'm gonna try a catch can tonight and see if it helps. It just smokes at idle right now I can live with it till winter lol
Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
I think the rings may be bad now because if you put the palm of your hand over the oil fill cap for a little bit and let off you can feel pressure being released. I'm afraid its the rings letting go. Like I said the motor thats in there I had the shop build it for a n/a setup only. I had no intentions of spraying it but ended up spraying it for a year and now boost. I'm gonna try a catch can tonight and see if it helps. It just smokes at idle right now I can live with it till winter lol
How much you wanna bet? If it were a blow by problem, it woul be happening at WOT much worse than idle. Also, if the valley cover is plumbed to the TB, I don't believe that is manifold vacuum which means weak, if any, vacuum signal. Most of the crankcase pressure would go out the breather in the oil fill neck. You would have oil splattered around the breather as well unless I am not understanding your pcv system.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turned out to be the check ball/valve thing we had wasn't working right thank god

Quick Reply: Smoking at idle BAD