Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How strong is the LSX 376

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will take an act of God to run a 9.0 with a 6 speed at that weight.LOL. Seriously though, you'll need a spot on suspension, a badass T56 or 6060, slicks, and about 160 mph trap, and a REALLY sticky track unless you go to a slipper clutch setup which wont be streetable. If I only had a quarter for every person that has insisted on trying to do it with a stick only to give in many thousands of dollars later. Save the money and buy a strong 4L80 from the start if you are concerned with having OD gear. The other thing to keep in mind is that to run a 9.0 with an auto, you'll still need about 150 mph at that weight. That means that with a 28" tire, you can run a 3.2x gear which will give you about a comfortable 7000 RPM thru the traps. That gear will make cruising around very comfortable.

With regards to welding tabs on the heads, that's not recommended. Something about screwing up the integrity or hardness of the deck. Call Tony Mamo @ AFR about it before you do it.

As for how much power it takes, I don't know, never been on a dyno with this setup. I use the calculators for a guesstimate based on weight and MPH.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 AM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weight I mentioned was just speculation. I'm not sure what the car will weight, I was just going off a high estimate. If it takes an act of GOD how did MightyMouse do it? It can be done without an auto and without super powers or a miracle
Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
The weight I mentioned was just speculation. I'm not sure what the car will weight, I was just going off a high estimate. If it takes an act of GOD how did MightyMouse do it? It can be done without an auto and without super powers or a miracle
Did you read past the first sentence?
How many others have done it ?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont some of the supras and vipers run 6speeds and well into single digit range?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM
no title here

Originally Posted by Quik
dont some of the supras and vipers run 6speeds and well into single digit range?
And wasn't ls1 created by GOD on the 8th day? My car and a Supra shouldn't be too far apart weight wise. Just because it would be easier with an auto or more consistent or cheaper doesn't concern me. This is a thread to learn more about the LSX 376 and see if it would survive my goals. It won't so I'm either going 370, 413, or 427
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If thats the case go as big as you can on motor. Go LSX block and go as big as you can go safely. Keep a thick cylinder wall so a 427 should do it. As I said before getting the boost up will be your concern and shifting fast enough.

This is what I found for Chris Hunter's (hunter02ss) old setup:

2002 White SS Camaro 377 Iron Block,Dart 225cc Head's,Comp Cam,6 Speed, Mcleod Twin Disc,Twin T60-1 Custom Truck Manifold Kit by Atlanta Performance and Fabrication and LWA's engine for a awesome 377 longblock!
18PSI-922rwhp and 842rwtq!!

I couldn't find a time in the quarter on it but it was a 6 spd car back then. There is a vid on him roll racing a tt cobra on youtube but thats about it. You can message him and find out if he ever ran it down the quarter.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM
no title here

Hunter and David did it. David, mightymouse went a 9.0 or 9.1 with a 370 and an 88 with the 6 speed
Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Did you read past the first sentence?
How many others have done it ?
I think Carlos makes a good point.....and its a known fact a low ET in a stick car is much more difficult (and usually alot more expensive). Before you get that coveted time slip realize parts breakage is much more common with a manual trans equipped race car (they just hit the driveline harder).

Regarding the mightymouse accomplishment, alot of people attempted to climb Mt Everest.....and sure you can point to the select few that made it but a huge percentage of those who tried failed. Im sure you see where Im going with this

When you have a cross section of racers as large as you have on all the message boards and you can only point your finger at a few who have accomplished what your setting out to do, at the very least respect the fact you have your hands full in attempting it.

Im not posting this to be "negative" and I would love to be involved in the journey if I can help you with any of the go fast goodies to get there, but I also think a more grounded realistic approach of what your about to embark on is a good state of mind to start with....it can help get you thru the disappointments you may encounter before reaching your goal.

-Tony
Old 08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Hunter and David did it. David, mightymouse went a 9.0 or 9.1 with a 370 and an 88 with the 6 speed
I am pretty sure he only went a 9.70 or so when it was a 6 speed.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM
no title here

I'm not continuing to debate this. My goal et isn't concrete but I would like it. My question was about the LSX 376 block and how strong it is. Not if I would be able to meet my goals with a 6 speed. Once done will my car be as fast as the same setup in an auto? No, but I don't want an automatic car. So for me to sacrifice a couple tenths to have what I want is worth it. Carlos, let's I put your setup in my car with a stick. You've gone 8.9s, lets say my setup is half a second slower. That's a 9.4, I'd be happy with that. A 9.0 was a best case scenario
Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Restricted User

Thanks, Tony but you didn't explain the bit about welding the tabs on the heads screwing up the heat treatment thingy.

OP, just because "the LSX376" from GM doesn't come with the good **** doesn't mean any one of the many vendors on here wouldn't be able and/or willing to build you an LSX 376 exactly how you like it for close to the same price with the correct heads and everything.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Restricted User

I'm not continuing to debate this. My goal et isn't concrete but I would like it. My question was about the LSX 376 block and how strong it is. Not if I would be able to meet my goals with a 6 speed. Once done will my car be as fast as the same setup in an auto? No, but I don't want an automatic car. So for me to sacrifice a couple tenths to have what I want is worth it. Carlos, let's I put your setup in my car with a stick. You've gone 8.9s, lets say my setup is half a second slower. That's a 9.4, I'd be happy with that. A 9.0 was a best case scenario
As far as the LSX block itself, it's plenty strong. We are pushing Steve's over 1500 rwhp. One night we made like 10 passes in 3 hours.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM
no title here

I understand the LSX block is very strong. I was asking specifically about the LSX 376 GM offers. Which we have established that crate motor comes with factory rods and those rods that come with that crate motor wouldn't be ideal for the amount of power I think I will need to run my target et. Perhaps if the thread had not gotten so derailed from the title, "how strong is the LSX 376" and not what is your opinion of running 9s with a 6 speed the thread could have died several post ago. As I said, this motor the crate 376 seemed to be a good deal vs building a 6.0. I would have more room to grow than I would ever use. But I know now it isn't as good of a deal for me as I thought. So I will make some calls tomorrow to see what short block will work best with my heads and other components I am planning on getting.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude, you're not going to keep a clutch in the car at that power level!!!! The hydraulics in these f-bodies are what kill it, you can't compare to a supra or viper. You can go ahead and try, but when you're taking out clutches once a month, you'll wise up and put an auto in it, but by that time you will have blown enough money on clutches to have bought 3 built autos and converters, hahaha!!! Just trying to keep you from learning the hard way! And your suspension better be right, or it will go a lot slower than .5 seconds slower than an auto setup.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
no title here

Maybe it wasn't clear, I'm not asking for opinions of running single digits with with a 6 speed. I was asking about the strength of this crate motor. If I wanted opinions on my drivetrain I would have posted it in the correct section.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

the statement of hydraulics isnt up to the task. there are different masters on the market that will solve alot of the issues. Tick makes a nice piece or can look into others. also can replace entire clutch line with non restricted braided. Speedway has a few options available

now as for the strenght of the LSX376, it has to be able to withstand some serious power if the stock 4.8-6.0 motors can be pushed to 800- 900rwhp then the lsx376 with forged pistons and the updated rods should easily beable to handle the same amount of power
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a big goal to reach; but i would reccomend (i think you already decided) to have or build something other than buying a 376. i think a 400 + ci would get you there, with great suspension. id hope that you have about $50,000 laying around to do it also.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM
no title here

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
id hope that you have about $50,000 laying around to do it also.
I am sorry, did I mention I wanted everything made out of solid 14k gold? Please by all means give me a break down of how it would take 50,000 to get a car to run that fast. Keep in mind I already have the car. I understand it will be expensive and I am prepared to buy really good stuff, but 50k is extremely far fetched.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

I am sorry, did I mention I wanted everything made out of solid 14k gold? Please by all means give me a break down of how it would take 50,000 to get a car to run that fast. Keep in mind I already have the car. I understand it will be expensive and I am prepared to buy really good stuff, but 50k is extremely far fetched.
alot of ppl cant do their own work so they write checks to ppl to have things built, however **** does add up
Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well im going to do just crude estiments for ya

engine $15000 this includes all tuning, intake and goodies

turbo alone u are looking at $2000 (this wall depends on ci) the pt-88 good on a 370, but too much back pressure on anything bigger.

if you go the custom turbo kit $5000, truck manifold kit $2500 ish

suspension $3000

brakes $1500 atleast, what you have to slow down

trans your going to laugh $10000. every one thinks there first time out to the track they will run their dream #. doest always happen that way, **** breaks.

rear end $2500 + for a good built unit

Drive shaft and up grades there $1000

Roll cage, you wont make it too far without one. this all depends on how it is done, not everyone has a tube shark so you are at some ones mercy. but u just as well do a 25.2 (your gonna want to go faster some day).
$4500 u weld it http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=827

gauges and little **** will add up also

i didnt talk about fuel systems either.

so with the truck manifold set up

$42000 moral of the story yes you can prolly do it for less than $50g, but you just as well have that much around. ***** gonna break.

9.0 you are hauling ***. tell me someone in a f-body car that has done it for less than $10000 and ran a 9 flat. I know you can get to the 9s for that price, but it takes way more to go a 9.0 flat

Quick Reply: How strong is the LSX 376