Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What makes an engine able to make more power on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike

http://mercuryracing.com/1350/specs/

552 cid, quad cam, 4v, and twin turbo's. 1350 hp, 91 octane, and a warranty.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesen't it say 7.8:1 for compression ratio on that engine?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Displacement is king.
I agree!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGo
I would wager that you see more high HP 2JZ's and such floating around because it is simply easier to keep them together at very high boost levels. You don't have head lifting issues, crank issues, block splitting issues like with LSx, SBC, mod V8's.
I've built and ran a few SBC's and LTx's, and I can say that I've broken pistons on at least 6 occasions but never broken a crank, rod, or block. All 6 sets of broken pistons were the result of detonation. Others' experience may be different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesen't it say 7.8:1 for compression ratio on that engine?
Yes. Better chamber shapes, intercooling, and lowering compression are all effective methods of suppressing detonation.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeSM5MZFho

This is what i mean. I am gathering from this thread that there is certainly difference that make the 2jz run so well but it seems odd that there is a engine that can make this much power on pump. I understand that i cant take the "well its 3.0 liters and im 6.0 so i should be capable of making 2x as much. But it seems that there is something that Im missing in this equation. Maybe its just a matter of money in the right spots. Maybe the supra guys can compete in the big races so they pick small specific vistories and go ***** out. Just boggels the mind.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Here is a problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPeSM5MZFho

This is what i mean. I am gathering from this thread that there is certainly difference that make the 2jz run so well but it seems odd that there is a engine that can make this much power on pump. I understand that i cant take the "well its 3.0 liters and im 6.0 so i should be capable of making 2x as much. But it seems that there is something that Im missing in this equation. Maybe its just a matter of money in the right spots. Maybe the supra guys can compete in the big races so they pick small specific vistories and go ***** out. Just boggels the mind.
well there has to be something about this inline 6 thing. the trailbazer 4.0L inline 6 stock will take around 18psi of boost and make a lot of power. lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what i remember ove my years is that inline engines are best for tq and flat are good for hp. But that might just be an old wives tale. Im sure someone will sort it out.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you guys ever get a chance, pick up a bare 2JZ block. Do some military presses and curls with one. LOL. A 2JZ long block weighs about 450 lbs. That's more than a wet LSX complete motor. So if you are wondering what keeps it together, the answer is IRON.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

^^^^ do you have one. i would really love the bench press it about 5 times. lol. sorry. lol.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would the weight or strength of the block make a big difference? I havent heard of people breaking the block. Or is distortion the issue? Havent heard of people saying that the block has even been the issue. Especially if ya use an aftermarket iron block.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Yes it dose make a difference.
Just because you don’t break the block doesn’t mean anything.
The block will flex and pinch the pistons and rob you of power
break rods and all kind of stuff that get blamed on other things.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

If a block is going to come apart due to too much HP it usually splits right up the middle, between the two banks of cylinders. If you have an inline 4,6,8 anything there is only one bank. That's why they can take the punishment, you don't have two opposing cylinder banks trying to split the block.

As far as flex is concerned there is flex in an iron block, but not near as much as an aluminum block. Think of cast iron as glass and aluminum as plastic. Iron block can take more stress and stay stable right up to the breaking point. Where as aluminum will start to distort earlier and cause other issues with the rotating assembly before it finally quits.

As for the 2jz making big numbers, look at where its making that power at, around 8000rpm. A 6.0 (with comparable chambers) can make that number at considerably less rpm. Less rpm usually means better gas mileage and less punishment, and that means cheaper parts.

A good case in point is to compare the engines of a Lambo Gallardo and a Z06. The Lambo (5.0) makes a little more horse power but spins much higher rpm then an LS7 (7.0), has more compression, and uses more fuel (20 hwy compared to Z06's 28 or better). And the performance between the two usually has the Z06 ahead. Now, turbo these cars, and at (just examples here) 20lbs the Lambo makes 1000hp and runs on 93octane, but the vette can only handle 15lbs on 93octane (due to the chamber design). And makes 100 less HP.

Now, cubic inches comes into play. Though the corvette is low on HP, it has an abundance of torque. And at the drag strip the two race, and the vette is all traction (not likely) and dispatches the gallardo to "also ran" status.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

The foxbody block splits in the middle, but thats not the rule for iron blocks.

I agree with TT350. If the block isn't strong enough, something else usually gets taken out before the block splits - iron or aluminum.

...and the vette is not limited to 15 psi because of chamber design - this is rubbish. Most LSx budget builds will start to push water in the 18-22 psi range. The LSx wasn't designed with high charge pressures in mind, so the stock head bolting doesn't accomodate it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guys, if you really want to see the ultimate piston engines you really need to look at the WW2 engines that whwere kicking about back in the 1940s! people where REALLY pushing the limits of engine and design to the limits and often well beyoned.

engiens worth looking at: RR Merlin and Griffon (note the extra 30% CC of the Griffon dose not net the engine and extra 30% increase in power!), the Napier Sabre, some of the german hyper engines (there was a 24 cylinder water cooled radial that used 6 x 4 cylinder inline blocks around a common crank) and obviously the radial engines.

To sum up though, Napier found that they would build a 5500bhp engine from something like 36ltr where as the most people could get out the same sized RR Griffon V12 was 3500bhp. Also to meet the Sabres power you needed a much larger engine (Major Wasp) and then you lost out on weight and fuel consumption.

really intresting stuff.

Chris.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TT350
Yes it dose make a difference.
Just because you don’t break the block doesn’t mean anything.
The block will flex and pinch the pistons and rob you of power
break rods and all kind of stuff that get blamed on other things.
idk. with todays technolgy. you got bad *** girdles to help. big darton sleeves. welded in gusses( ERL does this) i am pretty sure if they spliting they can come up with somthing that will hold it together. lol.

i understand all the flex problems. but there is so much out there to help it
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Absolutely, you can build most engines to take the power, but it costs $$$.

Some types of engines just require less 'stuff' to hold them together at high power levels.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...and the vette is not limited to 15 psi because of chamber design - this is rubbish. Most LSx budget builds will start to push water in the 18-22 psi range. The LSx wasn't designed with high charge pressures in mind, so the stock head bolting doesn't accomodate it.
Correct. It's not about boost. It's about cylinder pressure. You can run 8:1, 20 psi, 8* of timing.

I also don't believe that the lambo motor will make more power on pump gas as a rule. Specially when talking 5.0 vs 7.0. I'll take the cubes any day. The biggest advantage of the 4v/cyl design is the head flow at significantly lower lift with smaller (lighter) valves. This makes valve control easier at higher rpm.

As for the WW2 stuff, they were hosing those things down with meth/water to keep them from detonating.

Enter E85 and the penta chamber can SUCK IT!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Correct. It's not about boost. It's about cylinder pressure. You can run 8:1, 20 psi, 8* of timing.

I also don't believe that the lambo motor will make more power on pump gas as a rule. Specially when talking 5.0 vs 7.0. I'll take the cubes any day. The biggest advantage of the 4v/cyl design is the head flow at significantly lower lift with smaller (lighter) valves. This makes valve control easier at higher rpm.
Don't get me wrong here, the psi I came up with were just numbers I put out there because I really don't know exactly where the limit is on either one of these engines. But I will stand by the fact that the Lambo can run higher compression, boost, cylinder pressure then the LS7 on pump gas. And as they sit in stock form the Lambo does make more HP. You put turbos on them and the Lambo will still make more HP and handle more boost.

My point is however, the Lambo will never make as much torque down low. Why? lack of cubic inches. And as beautifull as 1000hp sounds at 8000rpm, I would rather have 1000lb/ft at 4000rpm.

What I am saying is that yes, the four valve head design IS the best design to stave off detonation. These little inlines and exotics with these heads can make some big numbers on pump gas. They can take more boost on pump gas then our GM's because of this. They can rev higher because of the light valves and lack of pushrods. But these little engines need these heads to make up for a lack of cubic inches.

But they can never make up for the torque. And thats what I love about American cars. Torque is what wins races and what spins those tires. And the best way to get that torque is with a bigger engine. End of story.

The OP asked why these exotics can get the PSI and power that they do on pump gas, I feel the common denominator is the head design. yes timing, cooling, compression all play a part but when you factor all that out (because you can adjust all that on any engine) the head design is what is left. But so many people concentrate on HP.

HP comes from torque. You decide how much torque you want, and where you want it in the rev range and the horsepower will take care of itself.

If I had my choice I would take cubic inches over 4 valves heads anyday. But man o'man if i could have both...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

1990-1995 ZR1 motor.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Here is a problem. ...

1600 hp from 3 liters on pump gas just didn't add up to me. Sure, it has the superior pent-roof 4v chamber, it rev'ed to 9000 rpm, and the turbo is a monster which will lower backpressure, but the power just seemed still too high.

Then it hit me. . . E85. Technically, it's pump gas, but has the detonation resistance of some race fuels. I've heard of 30+ psi on this "pump gas", and I'd be willing to be that's what they were running.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Yea dude, I just watched that video and I am not buying that they made that power on some 93 octane from the local Shell.

Quick Reply: What makes an engine able to make more power on pump gas?