Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Doh! Is it bad when your serp falls off and your s/c belt shreds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doh! Is it bad when your serp falls off and your s/c belt shreds?

I had my car in for dynotuning yesterday and everything was going too good to be true. I bought the car a couple of months ago and have been working some bugs out. We replaced the narrowband O2's before we started and then the tuner welded a bung onto my header for his wideband. He got it all hooked up to a SuperFlow dyno, downloaded my car's tune, made a ton of changes and then it was time for a run. Ultimately we got 420 hp / 396 tq at the wheel with a max of 8.5 psi boost at 6500 rpm. The car was running great.

Next, I took it out for a test drive and soon I could hear something flapping under the hood and the smell of burnt rubber. I found the supercharger belt to be half shredded and the serpentine belt to be half off most of the pulleys. WTF!? It turns out the original installer never bolted or pinned the crank pulley and balancer assembly. The supercharger wasn't making boost before I bought it because there were leaks and the supercharger pulley was too big. Now that it's making 8.5 pounds and run up to 6500 that assembly slid forward and pulled the belts with it. Fortunately no damage, but upon reassembly they discovered that the ATI balancer and Vortech crank pulley assembly does not create a plum alignment between the supercharger and the crank pulley so the belt is always on a slight angle. They're going to do some light machining to get the proper alignment.

Anyone ever run into anything like this?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

ive noticed a simmilar situation with my setup.
its a 8 rib setup, but about 2 ribs have ripped off the sc belt.
im still running it like that with no issues really.
but my alignment is slightly off...
what size pulley are you running?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSpeed1
ive noticed a simmilar situation with my setup.
its a 8 rib setup, but about 2 ribs have ripped off the sc belt.
im still running it like that with no issues really.
but my alignment is slightly off...
what size pulley are you running?
2.75" Vortech S/C pulley, Vortech crank pulley, ATI harmonic balancer.

The original installer decided not to pin or bolt the crank/balancer assembly (they were bolted to one another but not to the engine). Once I changed to a 2.75" pulley I was able to produce positive boost numbers which torqued on that crank pulley/balancer assembly and worked it forward on the hub. That alignment problem pulled my belts forward causing them to shred.

Once that was fixed it was discovered that the now properly installed crank pulley/balancer assembly, Vortech S/C idler pulley/tensioner, and S/C pulley do not line up exactly right. Because of that MD Performance Center put the crank pulley and the S/C pulley on the lathe and shaved them down for proper alignment.

I'm wondering if that could be your problem as well. My S/C belt would often squeal and I'm figuring it was because of that alignment problem. It squeals no longer!

Quick Reply: Doh! Is it bad when your serp falls off and your s/c belt shreds?