Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4150 TB and boost w/o elbow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4150 TB and boost w/o elbow?

My question is exactly as titled, can a 4150 tb be coupled to cold side piping w/o the use of an elbow.

I will be running a hood and no hood sides on my 33 ford. I want to run a unique set up of having a super vic w/ 4150tb and rear mount turbo, but have it look like a carb's sbc. I have clearance above my motor so i can sneak the pipe up the front of the car behind the radiator, up under the hood where you can't see it, then down to the tb. Then i want to run a fake carb-hat intake with a hole on the top that the pipe goes through. At first glance, or even second and third most ppl wouldn't know WTF it was and that i was boosted, it would look like a regular old hot rod.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have trouble getting the pipe to seal to the TB since they are designed to have a stud up through the center like a carb. I think your best bet would be a common carb hat with the 4" opening at the front and run it as high as possible. Then use an old school air filter housing (not an open element filter) on top of the TB that will cover the carb hat from the side. Paint the charge pipe going to the carb hat flat black and I bet almost no one will notice .
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you know what size hole is the top of the 4150tb is? could make a short aliminum tube with a braket welded inside to bolt to the tb, then use a silcone coupler on that.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
You will have trouble getting the pipe to seal to the TB since they are designed to have a stud up through the center like a carb. I think your best bet would be a common carb hat with the 4" opening at the front and run it as high as possible. Then use an old school air filter housing (not an open element filter) on top of the TB that will cover the carb hat from the side. Paint the charge pipe going to the carb hat flat black and I bet almost no one will notice .

Im not sure how high i could run one, i doubt i could run it about a foot over the tb.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Do you know what size hole is the top of the 4150tb is? could make a short aliminum tube with a braket welded inside to bolt to the tb, then use a silcone coupler on that.
Yeah, an elbow with a bracket and tube for the rod to pass through (think valve guide boss in a cylinder head)might work just fine.

Also, you could run the charge pipe up through the floor and firewall from the back of the engine and under a standard looking air cleaner. But what about an intercooler...............
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have much room to run through the back of the motor, unless i go through the cabin of the car, which would make it a hell of lot harder to find, but i'll loose quite a bit of valuable space. Im fighting with the trans tunnel, steering, and exhaust piping now just to fit my pedals. I may have found a solution which involves a really tiny gas pedal, and a notched trans tunnel, or a hand throttle but that makes shifting hard

Not sure if i will run an intercooler, with the length of the pipe from the rear mount, plus meth, i should be ok. Wost comes to worst i might have enough room above my radiator to sneak piping for one in.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote=1CAMWNDR;13787935]Yeah, an elbow with a bracket and tube for the rod to pass through (think valve guide boss in a cylinder head)might work just fine.

Also, you could run the charge pipe up through the floor and firewall from the back of the engine and under a standard looking air cleaner. But what about an intercooler...............[/quote]

Good idea.

You could have a firewall mounted "air cleaner" that is boost referenced from the other side of the firewall! sneaky, I like it.... LOL
Just get a carb hat from superior airflow/procharger and paint it flat black and then run tubing from it to your "air cleaner" on the firewall.
Run low boost and/or E85 and skip the intercooler.
An intercooler is not mandatory on a blow-through carb setup. Done.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Gingervitis Addict

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...mans_cont.html

Like this:
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

That is exactly what I was talking about. Put some wiring harness back there over the charge pipe and maybe chrome part of the air cleaner housing to draw the eye away from the firewall.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow i like that so much more than the other way. Its pitch black out, but im going to grab a flashlight and check my clearances to see if it will fit!

Quick Reply: 4150 TB and boost w/o elbow?