Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need input on my build and Piston Rings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input on my build and Piston Rings.

Well I have everything worked out on my build execpt what Pistons Rings to use exactly. I am going to use high tension oil rings and I am going to get the 2nd ring napier for better oil control for what is mostly a street car.

I planned on using Total Seal AP Stainless Steel top ring but do I use the gapless or file to fit? I have read many things about both and haven’t been able to conclude which would be best for me. Most of the posts talking about the differences are a few years old so I was hoping to start a new up to date read on them.

I know lots are running hellfire rings but have seen lots of people say they aren't for a street machine and don't last very long. People with these please chime in has for right now I am leaning towards Total Seal I believe.

My complete build outlined: Opinions welcomed.

APS Twin Turbo system with LG upgrades.
ERL built Superdeck 1 6 bolt heads with 1/2 inch studs, billet mains caps doweled with ARP studs, and brass Hydraulic Lifter Bushings.
Compstar Crank.
Compstar new H-I beam rods.
Wiseco Pistons -20cc.
Cloyes Hex adjustable LS2 IRL chain set. (Thanks Scoggin-Dickey)
LS2 timing chain dampner.
PatG cam. (Thanks Pat can’t wait to try it.)
Melling High psi oil pump.
Morel Link Bar Lifters.
Custom length pushrods.
Yella Terra 1.7 rocker arms.
TFS 235 heads.
ACL coated rod & main bearings.
Clevite cam bearings.
ATI harmonic balancer.

I think this covers everthing execpt for the rest of the power train which I am working on.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Whelp it is done, I ended up with file to fit total seal AP top ring with their second napier and high tension oil rings. By next April I hope to see if this sucker makes 1000rwhp or not.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Wiseco pistons come with the right rings.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Restricted User

What form of FI are you planning on running?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
The Wiseco pistons come with the right rings.
I agree the GFX rings are good but I felt Total seal AP rings were better and after unloading this much cash I wanted to have the best for both power and the most bullet proof reliable ring as I don't want any oil burning issues what so ever. I will still have the GFX ring pack as a backup or in the future if I have problems I will pull it and swap them. I spoke with ERL and other well respected sponsors who build our engines for this power level and most all said total seal AP rings or hellfire. The AP ring won for me as I want the most longevity even though I expect to have scheduled freshening, has motors that live at this power level even on the street will require close attention and freshening.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

What form of FI are you planning on running?
Twin Turbo kit for now maybe a custom singe in the future. 800rwhp for most driving and maybe a second tune for meth or E85 for the 1000rwhp.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARPNOVA
I agree the GFX rings are good but I felt Total seal AP rings were better and after unloading this much cash I wanted to have the best for both power and the most bullet proof reliable ring as I don't want any oil burning issues what so ever. I will still have the GFX ring pack as a backup or in the future if I have problems I will pull it and swap them. I spoke with ERL and other well respected sponsors who build our engines for this power level and most all said total seal AP rings or hellfire. The AP ring won for me as I want the most longevity even though I expect to have scheduled freshening, has motors that live at this power level even on the street will require close attention and freshening.
The GFX rings are made by NPR, basically the same ring as Total Seal AP.

As for hellfire, in 4.000 - 4.125 bore sizes they only make them 1.5, .043, or 1/16. They don't make a 1.2mm.

Wiseco pistons use a 1.2mm ring grove.

I'd use the GFX rings, file fit, i'd prefer the Total Seal gapless top rings for N/A. Theirs alot of expansion in the top ring for FI, we have ADRL XTF engine running .060" ring gaps, on the compression rings.

Fraser

Last edited by AES Racing; 09-02-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AES Racing
The GFX rings are made by NPR, basically the same ring as Total Seal AP.

As for hellfire, in 4.000 - 4.125 bore sizes they only make them 1.5, .043, or 1/16. They don't make a 1.2mm.

Wiseco pistons use a 1.2mm ring grove.

I'd use the GFX rings, file fit, i'd prefer the Total Seal gapless top rings for N/A. Theirs alot of expansion in the top ring for FI, we have ADRL XTF engine running .060" ring gaps, on the compression rings.

Fraser
Awesome info AES, and yes it was recommended to me that the GFX ring pack would work great in my build but there were enough other shops I talked to that said they still preferred the AP ring and used them in lots of build like mine. I appreciate the input on the Hellfire rings, it was hard finding much on them, the tech page at federal mogul was lacking on info but I could have over looked it too. I am still confident in my decision and am happy to be looking forward to getting my cars new heart after 8 years of saving.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by WARPNOVA
Twin Turbo kit for now maybe a custom singe in the future. 800rwhp for most driving and maybe a second tune for meth or E85 for the 1000rwhp.
I hope that you gave Pat more info than that before he specd your cam or it is more than likely wrong.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I hope that you gave Pat more info than that before he specd your cam or it is more than likely wrong.
If you have ever had or know of anyone who has had a cam spec'ed by him then you would know just how much detail he requires before he will give you one. Here check out his page at http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft_help.htm and look for the link to download his cam request form. He wants all the details of your motors bottom end, top end, and yes power adder right down to the AR of your turbos exhaust housings, as well as your goals you hope to make and even how you would like for it to act on the street if you are worried about that. I wanted something that offered great street manors and yes would still help me reach my goal of 1000rwhp should I decide to turn it up to that. But in all honesty I am more concerned with making 800 to 900rwhp as that is about all I feel is street-able before it becomes un-fun to drive on the street and even then I am probably pushing it. All my friends that I have helped built their cars just don't see the point but it is my dream. However I do know that I am building a very useless car as mine is not race and for the street it is just plain overkill but it is something I have always wanted to build and say yup I have a car that has made a 1000rwhp aka dyno queen but it is tough enough to be reliable so that I can cruise it all across the county. This is just all fun for me.

Quick Reply: Need input on my build and Piston Rings.