Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why won't my speed Inc alternator charge?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

10.06v at the signal wire with the key on.

11.99v at the battery with the key off. I know the battery is dead.

and my stock one was old and crappy looking so i paid to get this one. Just for looks mostly and supposedly better belt tension.

but my bracket works way better than this thing, i guess thats why im so disappointed :/

everything cost me like $375
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u try reving up the engine to about 3000 rpm to see what happens??
If it is a single wire alternator most require you to blip the throttle for them to start working.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topend
did u try reving up the engine to about 3000 rpm to see what happens??
If it is a single wire alternator most require you to blip the throttle for them to start working.
yeah i tried that. I was pissed off and even did a nice 5000rpm drift around the corner lol
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

return it dude, not even worth it.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your issues. I bought mine from Smokinhawk here on the forums. Not the prettiest but works great. All the tension and alignment I need. And fits under the stock hood. Even thought mine is cut for the shitty bracket i got from the turbo kit maker. OH well. GL man!

Last edited by 99SS-T; 09-05-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Have the ALT tested at one of those Walmart like part stores.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT350
Have the ALT tested at one of those Walmart like part stores.
Well heres an update. I took the battery and alternator to oreilleys. Battery was low, but did a slow charge and got it back to normal. Tested the alternator on a machine and turns out GOOD.

So basically I have a Good battery and a good alternator. I just dont understand whats going on, and of course speed inc was closed again today
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When they tested the alternator, which pin did they hook up to the wire on the tester?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
When they tested the alternator, which pin did they hook up to the wire on the tester?
there was an entire plug that went into the alternator and to the machine. So im not sure. It was a big computerized machine that spins the alt.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Subscribing....

I used the speed inc setup as well and had to grind the alt casing like crazy to get it to clear my valve covers. But I finally got it and the alignment is good now. But I have not started my vehicle yet. I have it wired like you do, so we'll see what happens here in a week or so...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM

I have the set up on my car and its the best thing I ever bought. I was going through belts like mad prior to this set up. Knock on wood I have not had any issues.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same issues on mine as well, like you said called speed inc. and no help. Took the alt in and found it was bad. I live in Canada so its a giant pain in the *** to ship it back and wait for a new one so just went and found one at a parts store here, hooked the factory wire to the "L" terminal and its been charging great for over 1000miles. Belt alingment is junk though, goin to have to grind the case to make it work
Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
I have the set up on my car and its the best thing I ever bought. I was going through belts like mad prior to this set up. Knock on wood I have not had any issues.
You obviously either work or are affiliated with speed Inc... Your avatar is the speed inc logo, and you live near speed in as well.

So why don't you help us out with all our problems?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

center wire or L terminal is to be used

The bracket was made off a stock head and the alternator does rest against the head. We have seen different heads, valve covers or just the difference in an alternator case require some clearance from time to time or the alignment will be off due to the alternator not sitting flush with head.

We are here to help customers and other then being closed Monday for the holiday do not see why you could not get help.

We use these often with our turbo builds and just about ever conversion car we do with no issues. The unit just takes a little time to make it work around ones given setup like most other high performance parts on the market. We deal with many other so called bolt-on parts which require a little extra work on a daily basis.

if anyone ever has an issue please call or email me or sales.

larry@speedinc.com
sales@speedinc.com
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
center wire or L terminal is to be used

The bracket was made off a stock head and the alternator does rest against the head. We have seen different heads, valve covers or just the difference in an alternator case require some clearance from time to time or the alignment will be off due to the alternator not sitting flush with head.

We are here to help customers and other then being closed Monday for the holiday do not see why you could not get help.

We use these often with our turbo builds and just about ever conversion car we do with no issues. The unit just takes a little time to make it work around ones given setup like most other high performance parts on the market. We deal with many other so called bolt-on parts which require a little extra work on a daily basis.

if anyone ever has an issue please call or email me or sales.

larry@speedinc.com
sales@speedinc.com
While the bracket is nice and I do like it. I think alot of issues could be solved if you included a set of instructions with the kit. I had a few issues with fitment (bolt holes not the proper size) and had to call and argue(guy i spoke with was rude) about getting it figured out, in the end i was satisfied but not happy.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

We have had revision in the last month and instructions are being worked on. I'm sorry that who you dealt with was rude and that is rather upsetting to me.

please let me know if you ever need anything
Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have had revision in the last month and instructions are being worked on. I'm sorry that who you dealt with was rude and that is rather upsetting to me.

That is good to hear.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I second this.

There was not a single sentence resembling instructions in the box.

According to the manufacturer of these alternators, there are 3 possible ways to wire a cs130 series alternator. The F wire, The L wire, or the S, F, & L wires simultaneously. Also as far as fitment, if it says in the instructions that some grinding may be necessary, i would be less pissed about it, but the fact that you all said it was "complete bolt on, easy one wire hookup" got me frustrated when it wasnt.

In the end, i do understand this is a custom piece and some modifications are necessary, but maybe you need to find a new alternator manufaturer because ive heard from a few people now that they dont just "hook up with one wire".

btw, i put back on my old bracket, went to kragen and got a new "oem" alternator and it worked perfectly, so I know it wasnt a problem with my vehicle.

Just my .02¢ as a consumer
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my Speed Inc Alternator bracket. Havent thrown a single belt in 3k miles. I was throwing them like every 200 miles with the old bracket garage made bracket that I bought from a member here.

I did upgrade my alternator to a 140amp power master. The 105amp wasnt enough for my electric fan and audio setup on my car.

Quick Reply: Why won't my speed Inc alternator charge?!?