Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: how much rwhp is too much to be fun on the street?
600-700
15.15%
700-800
25.76%
800-900
15.91%
900-1100
11.36%
1200-1400
8.33%
1500 is still fun! p.s. im am crazy...
23.48%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

what rwhp/rwtq is to much for the street? when is it not fun any more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is running about 13lbs of boost no dyno numbers but it is prob close to 750 rwhp. It isn't really that fun to drive on the street anymore. Goes through tires like crazy, Can't stop them from spinning, when the turbo spools you better be ready and in a straight line or your in for big trouble. It also idles a bit high for my liking but I can't drop it down below 850rpm with the 80lb injectors. and the cam is stinky too. And I can't even listen to the radio the car is so loud. Lets not talk about the fuel mileage. ahaha.... I d say I ruined my daily driver.... I would say 5-6oo is nice it would be nicer to have a more progressive build too, that may make it better.
Anyway this is just my opinion.
I think once you are beating bikes.... No need to have anymore power.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by spaz1
my car is running about 13lbs of boost no dyno numbers but it is prob close to 750 rwhp. It isn't really that fun to drive on the street anymore. Goes through tires like crazy, Can't stop them from spinning, when the turbo spools you better be ready and in a straight line or your in for big trouble. It also idles a bit high for my liking but I can't drop it down below 850rpm with the 80lb injectors. and the cam is stinky too. And I can't even listen to the radio the car is so loud. Lets not talk about the fuel mileage. ahaha.... I d say I ruined my daily driver.... I would say 5-6oo is nice it would be nicer to have a more progressive build too, that may make it better.
You have a turbo, go to a bigger or dual wastegates and use a eboost2 or something simular. Problem solved can run less boost, As far as radio goes. I have a 18 inch long 4" downpipe and that's it. I can listen to my radio just fine with t-tops off. But I'm looking to forward to putting a full an quiet exhaust on it.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speedster94
They are a blast to drive street/strip. "Too Much HP Is Almost Enough"
I've talked with Tom many times about doing a TT set-up. Me and my stepfather almost made the move about a year ago....would have had a 2,300 HP TT 454ci SBC in my WS6.......hahahahaha The same one Nelson Witlock has from NRE and the one thats in his video on the dyno.

But we just decided how retarded it was to spend that much money when you're not quite a rich fella......but damn, it would have been fun.

You have one of his set-ups?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I've talked with Tom many times about doing a TT set-up. Me and my stepfather almost made the move about a year ago....would have had a 2,300 HP TT 454ci SBC in my WS6.......hahahahaha The same one Nelson Witlock has from NRE and the one thats in his video on the dyno.

That is a killer engine combo you and your stepfather were looking at. Crazy power. That would be one heck of a setup for you someday.

But we just decided how retarded it was to spend that much money when you're not quite a rich fella......but damn, it would have been fun.

You have one of his set-ups?

Your WS6 looks like a really nice combo with that LPE 427. Those are some really good numbers.

I was lucky enough to get Tom to do this combo a few years back and put it in a 1968 Firebird with a stick. These were the 91 octane runs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvlbWPCG1E
Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Anything above 700-800ish becomes too hard to hook on the street IMO.....

One of the reasons I keep mine parked at 700 is because of the no-fun traction boundary. If you can't hook 3rd on the on-ramp it aint no fun on the street.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Thats awesome i am going to build a turbo kit for my 540 BBC going in my 70 chevelle
Your WS6 looks like a really nice combo with that LPE 427. Those are some really good numbers.

I was lucky enough to get Tom to do this combo a few years back and put it in a 1968 Firebird with a stick. These were the 91 octane runs.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
Thats awesome i am going to build a turbo kit for my 540 BBC going in my 70 chevelle

That should be an awesome combo. 70 Chevelle is such a cool looking ride.
That will put out some HP.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
I disagree! My procharger car hits very hard and just blows the tires off up to about 70mph, and I'm only 700rwhp. With my turbo car (about the same power level) didn't hit as hard came on a little easier. And it didn't have much lag. So on the street my turbo car is easier to drive.

And my response to the OP. Mine are fun but not real usable! Fun yes, usable no!
That's very interesting. I'm debating between an F-1C and an 80mm T6 turbo right now.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as i can chirp 2nd Im happy
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Depends on the setup and the driver.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

700-800 vote here because that's where I'm at. My 2.75 rear gears help me hook up on the street where most of my driving is, but hurt me some at the track if it's prepped decent. The car will often get loose under 100mph but it's controllable. Our streets in Vegas are very oily due to the lack of rain. Tires are 28" tall 275 MT Drag Radials.

There are a lot of factors involved on how much power is streetable. On my setup I feel I'm at the upper end of what I'm comfortable with on the street. I don't like to fight a car.

Anyone that voted 1500+ is most likely someone who hasn't even experienced 700+ on the street.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I must have missed what you are looking to do with the car on the street. if you are building a dig car then you need a different hp/tq level then if you were building a highway cruiser or a 60 -160 pull type of car.

i would say if you are looking for a highway cruiser/ highway pull sort of car then your right foot is the only thing keeping you from having all the power you want. proper suspension, tire and boost deleivery can go a long way to helping you out with putting it down.

but just stomping on the long pedal is going to cause your rear to light up.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

nitrous, turbo and blower power are all different. I have had about 600 hp of each of the power adders and they all come on and feel different. So if you are building a dig car then you might need a different type hp/tq power adder then if you were building a highway cruiser or a 60 -160 pull type of car. My N20 car was good from a dig cause u could make power come in any way u wanted it to. But when the bottle was off it was not as much fun to drive as the blower car that had all that instant power and tq. The turbo car was softer from a dig than the blower car but could not dial in the power like that of the nitrous car and did not have the instant power of a blower.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I make right at 700 on the tire with my bbc truck, its just to the point its still fun but it can get really hairy in some cases, It really sucks when you have a cam/spray TA stump a mud hole in your *** with 250-200rwhp less then you, he dead hooks, gets out on you then you panic and smash it and all you do is kill a few mosquito from tire smoke
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, but its old and tired.........runs great still, but needs a rebuild badly. Gonna sell it most likely and get a 402/3/8ci and a single turbo something. If I get another N/A engine, even if it has 650 RWHP, I'm gonna get bored in 1 month and wish I did more. I'm not gonna make that mistake again, like I already did. The 427ci served its purpose....it made me realize I need 1,000 RWHP, at least, to be pleased.....lol And I'll need 1,000 RWHP just to keep up with some of the crazy cars down here. Beating them, forget it. Well, with the NRE 454ci TT I'd smoke everything.........

You lucky *beep*.......Tom is a crazy person. I remember what he told me when I said I wanted that 454ci TT........and I asked him if it will fit and retain A/C in my 98 Trans Am. He said..."I'll make anything work that you want, period." He just does anything to any car and it works perfectly.

And whats amazing is.....take his 408ci TT that makes 1,650 hp....its less than half the price of the best LPE TT set-up and will completely *** rape it in power and quality. So really, his pricing for his work is great......

Oh well, we'll see, still researching some things.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spaz1
sounds like you need to do some work.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

I made550rwhp and drove one time and felt like it wasent enough
Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

my 536hp/900lb-ft 2wd 6200lb cummins (auto) was a blast to drive on the street (I have it torn down for a better build.) On dry pavement with 35's, I would leave black marks all the way to 80mph from a dig. I actually could keep up with some bikes from a roll. here is a vid of me racing my buddy's 600 in my truck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-8UG7jNWxY
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

The power isnt the problem. It is the small things that you always have to maintain. about 900 is where I tell people that you have to start thinking about how much you really want to work on the thing. The power is easy to make, it just cost money. It is the time you spend on the upkeep that most people dont understand.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yeah, but its old and tired.........runs great still, but needs a rebuild badly. Gonna sell it most likely and get a 402/3/8ci and a single turbo something.
That sounds like a plan.

And whats amazing is.....take his 408ci TT that makes 1,650 hp....its less than half the price of the best LPE TT set-up and will completely *** rape it in power and quality. So really, his pricing for his work is great...... Agree. People always say is so expensive, but it usually includes a ton of stuff that others charge extra for. I have been lucky enough to see quite a few of NRE engines and cars and they truly are sick.

Oh well, we'll see, still researching some things.
If you want to see something just a little off the beaten path with NRE, this is kind of a cool build: http://www.camaro5.com/cotw-91310-speedsters-sst-camaro
Maybe go for a ride sometime down in your area...

Power can range, just depends on what you can get to the ground...

Quick Reply: what rwhp/rwtq is to much for the street? when is it not fun any more?