Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ready to trade in my BS3 for a carb and a hat. WTF is wrong with my setup!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd start with a new set of plugs...all that bad map stuff probably killed the set in there.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

1- Verify map sensor
2- Go over the settings in the BS3 with someone who has a lot of expertise. I think since you have a lot of time and money invested, you should try to work with someone on this stuff. I've been looking over a friend's should on his BS3 tune, and we got invaluable advice from Mark Koehler of the OH Boys. Maybe see about working a deal with him or Kurt Urban and meet up and go over stuff. I will tell you that if you had someone like Kurt or Mark config the BS3 in person, and it took 3 hours, it's worth it. I just paid a guy to help me on another project, $50 an hour, and the two hours saved me a week of headaches.

I had a BS3 years ago and had no idea how to use it. Having someone like Mark or Kurt who would be patient enough to make it work is great stuff.

Oh and it's easy to kill an O2 sensor if your tune if off, you can do that on one day.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Kurt, new ECU untuned. Onfire, just installed a new set with the new 3 bar MAP. They should be fine considering that it's not running pig rich now. John, I believe you're right. I was trying to get the major bugs out so I could get it tuned but it appears that I'm having trouble getting those on my own. I had read so many times how easy BS3 is but I'm missing something I think.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No efi is simple that I have ever worked with!! The intial start up and getting it running is the toughest part, once you are running and just need minor tweaks it's pretty easy. Mark K is very good and just started working with it a few years back!
What/where is the tune in the box from?
Is the engine size and injector size in the config right?
Did you verify timing to sync up the ecu when running?

Kurt
Originally Posted by dhdenney
Kurt, new ECU untuned. Onfire, just installed a new set with the new 3 bar MAP. They should be fine considering that it's not running pig rich now. John, I believe you're right. I was trying to get the major bugs out so I could get it tuned but it appears that I'm having trouble getting those on my own. I had read so many times how easy BS3 is but I'm missing something I think.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

97 kpa should get you going. On the FAST you can scale the MAP sensor. I would assumme you can on the BS3 as well.

Sounds like you need the computer to be tuned to the motor. Like the VE tables, cold start, cranking fuel, AE fuel, throttle follower, setup the timing tables, etc etc etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys I had Leo from BS3 on the phone and I had this thing running almost flawlessly (comparatively speaking). I turned off the car and adjusted the throttle screw down because it was idling at about 1500 and then the car wouldn't start anymore. I'm not sure why. So now if I could just figure out what went wrong there. Suggestions? Can anyone comment on the MAP scale Julio is referring to?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

OK got it. I pulled the little hotwire (the cranking wire) and plugged it back and there it was. I guess there was a little charge on the board and I relieved it? Car runs great now so I'm off to the dyno soon!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhdenney
OK got it. I pulled the little hotwire (the cranking wire) and plugged it back and there it was. I guess there was a little charge on the board and I relieved it? Car runs great now so I'm off to the dyno soon!
More likely, you reset the throttle position.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Once you move your throttle blade you mess up your TPS setting and IAC settings.

You need to tell the computer what TPS is set to, and what off idle TPS will be. If you move the TB blade, it moves TPS.. your computer "thinks" your giving "gas" when your really not.

Example you set TPS for .50 volts on the computer. Your off idle TPS is set to .54 volts. You open the blade and now are at .54.. your computer thinks your foot is on the pedal and screws up the way it runs.

You really need to read the "HELP" section and read read read it until it sinks in. What helps is printing out the pages.. This stuff is not hard, but unless you build a proper foundation, your car has no business going to a dyno.

Everyone is always in a hurry... this hurry stuff will drop the crank out of the bottom of the block quickly.. or at a minimum wash out your cylinders.. foul plugs.. etc.. You end up pulling your hairs out in frustration.

Take your time.. and learn what each sensor does, and how the computer responds to them.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh got ya now. I guess I'm treating the thing like factory EFI. Taking little things for granted.

Quick Reply: Ready to trade in my BS3 for a carb and a hat. WTF is wrong with my setup!?