Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water Vapor Collection system

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Have you ever flow tested the airflow distribution on the factory manifolds to see if thats a portion of the problem? I've always wondered if the design of the factory manifold makes #7 more prone to higher volumes of airflow. On Brians car we found the air was doing some weird stuff at velocity.
Good point, but what about the guys who flip the intake, isn't #7 still a weak cylinder? I'm guessing that it would then be a coolant flow issue.

Again, I stress the 'guessing' strategy as I'm trying to learn here, not make statements of authority or certainty.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Good point, but what about the guys who flip the intake, isn't #7 still a weak cylinder? I'm guessing that it would then be a coolant flow issue.

Again, I stress the 'guessing' strategy as I'm trying to learn here, not make statements of authority or certainty.
I haven't been specifically looking so I dont remember seeing anyone flip the manifold and having problems. Not saying that they dont exist but just dont remember. We are flipping the manifold on my motor and 100% expect the egts to move in correlation with the flipped manifold. Who has flipped the manifold and had motor issues, I'd love to do more research on it.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm reviving this from the dead.... but it is a good thread to revive.

Is this setup, Kurt's in particular, something that could help save the ringlands on the back cylinders?

I have a FAST intake, and as such, had to block off the rear vent tubes, and last weekend I think I cracked #7's ringland.

Kurt, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as I'm going to go with a forged shortblock, but I want to avoid this situation from ever happening again.

Thanks
Originally Posted by 427
The thing that can happen is air gets trapped in the rear of the heads and insulates the backside of the combustion chamber on the rear cylinder causing hot spots. I believe this can lead to broken parts. I believe this is one problem that can cause issues in race engines and it's aggravated by running reduced water flow and water instead of coolant. I believe you also need to watch your water flow as the engine output gets into 4 digits.

Kurt
For this reason I actually removed my rear blockoff plugs and installed my ls6 crossover tube on the rear of the heads, and cut/bent an older ls1 coolant crossover tube to make lines for the front of the heads (or just buy another ls6 crossover tube). Fit fine under the rear of the FAST intake, as I simply used T fittings and ran rubber hose to junction with the front tube before entering the radiator. I will eventually just sell the crossover tube and run Kurt's kit, as it's well designed and is a much cleaner install overall.

At the time I already had the ls6 crossover tube and picked up the ls1 tube locally for next to nothing, so for now it should help alleviate cyl 7/8 temp spikes/hot spots from trapped air. I think the coolant path is more at fault here though.

Last edited by Squirts11; 01-22-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Have you ever flow tested the airflow distribution on the factory manifolds to see if thats a portion of the problem? I've always wondered if the design of the factory manifold makes #7 more prone to higher volumes of airflow. On Brians car we found the air was doing some weird stuff at velocity.
I believe Kurt posted years ago where engines were tested with the intake reversed. No 7 was still the vulnerable corner
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what does this kit go for nowadays kurt? thanks!

also, is there an advantage to running this over a factory 4 corner setup? right now my motor as it came with the car a year ago n/a had the rears with blockoffs on them and now with going fi and reading this, i'm concerned about the hot spots.

lastly, will your kit or the factory 4 post setup work with a vic jr without issue?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
so what does this kit go for nowadays kurt? thanks!

also, is there an advantage to running this over a factory 4 corner setup? right now my motor as it came with the car a year ago n/a had the rears with blockoffs on them and now with going fi and reading this, i'm concerned about the hot spots.

lastly, will your kit or the factory 4 post setup work with a vic jr without issue?
Well, with the factory tubes you're relying on barb/clamp style fittings to seal on each coolant tube exit and radiator fitting. Also, some prefer to eliminate the steam vent point at the radiator and tap/exit to the top of waterpump instead. Kurt's system (or any AN type fitting) would be preferrable over rubber hose/brass barb fittings, but for now it works.

A vic Jr. sits pretty high above the valley cover, so I don't see it being an issue with either.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I believe Kurt posted years ago where engines were tested with the intake reversed. No 7 was still the vulnerable corner
There was a lengthy thread about this issue a while back I believe, and I thought someone was in the process of patenting/producing a reverse flow LS style waterpump.

Last edited by Squirts11; 01-22-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

agreed 100% with -an fittings being superior but right now the budget would be easier to cope with going to the factory 4 post setup until it's up and running. upgrades such as these that can be done later no doubt. and i have a meziere street pump so the radiator is the only point it can go to. thanks for the reply though! i will definitely get the back 1/2 of the system back to functioning again!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The KUP system is on my must do list for rebuilding my shortblock. Hopefully that and a forged bottom end will help the motor live a happy long life.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been years, but I did run weeks of dyno wot testing with 8 egt and 8 02 sensors with the manifold on both ways. I also had thermocouples on all 4 corners and ran the block offs in the steam locations in the rear and front depending on the direction the manifold was on. The water was the only thing that had measurable problems, and the 4 corner bleeds helped. I did change the water flow at the deck and still change some water flow that I find helpful in our engines.

Kurt
Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will kurts vent setup work with ls6 manifold? any one have a pic of it installed?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on making these whenever I get a junk block and heads to set them up on. I have the same setup on mine. It won't be cheap, but it looks baller

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ Nice setup!!!

Does the KUP kit work on all OEM style intakes? (LS6, FAST, etc) i.e. NOT Vic Jr style and such.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe the only intake it might not work with is the LS7 intake.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
I believe the only intake it might not work with is the LS7 intake.
so on the ls6 manifold it will work with no problem. good to know. anyone have a pic with installed?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a pic of it on Mike Brown's race car
Attached Thumbnails Water Vapor Collection system-kup-1005-1.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

I have a new set of these for sale for 50 dollars shipped for the set of 4 if anyone is interested. They normally sell for 64 plus shipping.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I plan on making these whenever I get a junk block and heads to set them up on. I have the same setup on mine. It won't be cheap, but it looks baller

Hell yes! That looks killer
Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That system looks great, but it relies on velocity to work as air does not want to naturally go down. In the pictures you can see it has a factory pump, that should have enough flow to easily force the air down at rpm. If you plumbed this with the collection block higher it would make the air go into the collection block even if the engine is off. Then tap the collection block with the return line on top, that would give the air a natural escape and function best.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Stangkilr
Hell yes! That looks killer
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

I have my back ports joined with AN line, T'd off to the front, and joined in a 4 way junction block then routed to the top port on the rad. Is this sufficient? The back 2 were blocked off, so this has to be better. Hopefully...
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Here is my setup that Nitrous Outlet did.

Quick Reply: Water Vapor Collection system