10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cruise the lake at 80
Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mike13
cruise the lake at 80
ive actually went from 1 side of the lake to the other(bout 3miles) doin 110 once when the lake had perfect water near dusk/ no wind, didnt take anytime to cover the distance lol oil temp was alil on the warm side tho
Old 10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

why not run a v drive? is there an advantage with the pump? i was always under the impression the v drives were faster?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

must be nice having all those blocks!! very very cool boats, anyone wanna go tubing!!??
Old 10-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by extremetoy
why not run a v drive? is there an advantage with the pump? i was always under the impression the v drives were faster?
not anymore at the tracks lol, vdrive cant leave as hard or set as fast as a jetboat.top fuel is nutha story , vdrive still rule there. here vdrives usually get beat on pretty badly, we leave from a deadstop to bout 900ft, and it takes so much to get a vdrive moving, its almost over at the start
Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigti99a
must be nice having all those blocks!! very very cool boats, anyone wanna go tubing!!??
im actually deaf in my left ear from tubing behind 1 of my jetboats, it's no fun skipping along the water on your ear at 75mph lol
Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

Why not run the stock cast exhaust manifolds vs. building your own ones? They would be less prone to cracking. That boat sounds retarded fast. Be safe.

Another question.... I'm in the process of putting an EFI 5.3 into a '97 Ski Centurion 21' waterski boat and was told I had to run water jacketed exhaust manifolds or I could have an engine fire. I ended up buying some from Marine Power designed for a 6.0 setup that work great. Is it required to run them because my engine is enclosed and lack of airflow to cool down the exhaust system under continuous duty?
Attached Thumbnails new member, here's my dragboat 5.3 single turb turd-dsc_0018.jpg   new member, here's my dragboat 5.3 single turb turd-dsc_0004.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gnx7
Why not run the stock cast exhaust manifolds vs. building your own ones? They would be less prone to cracking. That boat sounds retarded fast. Be safe.

Another question.... I'm in the process of putting an EFI 5.3 into a '97 Ski Centurion 21' waterski boat and was told I had to run water jacketed exhaust manifolds or I could have an engine fire. I ended up buying some from Marine Power designed for a 6.0 setup that work great. Is it required to run them because my engine is enclosed and lack of airflow to cool down the exhaust system under continuous duty?
good question bud, i sure tried like hell to use manifolds, had truck/gto/vette/fbody/ manifolds but none of them lookd good flipped over and pointed backwards so i made my own with 1 7/8ths primaries short nuff to have low end power but long nuff to get rid of spent exhaust in upper rpms, then i dumped them into 3in logs tapered to a 2.5 vband set-up in back. my whole thinking was build some heat and flow fast at the turbine and it should do that , well i hope anyways lol. they're built outta thick mild steel, my buddy who tigged em up for me said they'd be alot less prone to cracking as opposed to stainless. we run stainless headers on the big block twin turb deal and fight cracks all the time. if you've ever felt tirehop in a car , a boat is always doin that and mild steel will be more elastic to that.

yes sir, gotta water cool em or you'd melt your boat and engine hatch, sounds like a neat project, pm me when you make some headway on it, love ls's in boats! btw 351 ford exhaust water logs will bolt up to a ls motor, port to port they match.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1
btw 351 ford exhaust water logs will bolt up to a ls motor, port to port they match.
Drilling some new holes anyway.....
Old 10-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Gingervitis Addict

To put it in car perspective, a Vdrive is like a 6speed and jet drive is like an auto. At the same HP level, the auto/jet pump will win from a dig pretty much every time.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Your boats look great man! I think I would pee myself in that thing!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slow67
To put it in car perspective, a Vdrive is like a 6speed and jet drive is like an auto. At the same HP level, the auto/jet pump will win from a dig pretty much every time.
hey brother! good to see a familiar peep over here!

ive gotta buyer for my house now and when it sells im getting ***** deep into my 6.2liter build, so this 5.3 may never make it into the boat wonder how bad a cath port intake would run on the 6.2 square port heads?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Gingervitis Addict

hey brother! good to see a familiar peep over here!

ive gotta buyer for my house now and when it sells im getting ***** deep into my 6.2liter build, so this 5.3 may never make it into the boat wonder how bad a cath port intake would run on the 6.2 square port heads?
Yep, been here a while

Not sure if a cathedral port manifold will even bolt up to an l92 port

You still owe me a ride in your uncles tunnel .....j/k
My friends tell me 60 is enough on the water.......
Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Very nice boats you got there!!!!

Jet over prop any day. IMO way more direct. Difference between some all season car tires or full on drag slicks, with 1000 HP behind them.

I sure miss my squirt boat! 73' SleekCraft Rebel with the 'Race V'. I found it under a tree, old and needing some luvin'. Gutted it and replaced the floor, transom, seats, etc. At the time, it had a BBO (455) so I freshened it up and that lasted a season. Then I went to the Dr. (Mondello) and put all of his go fast goodies in fresh motor and it lasted a few hours before it spun a bearing. By now I'm just trying to finish up the boating season, so I put a new crank/bearings in it so it could puke oil EVERYWHERE and ruin the carpet/seats/etc.

That **** was gone and BBC took it's place! A buddy had a 2 bolt main core. So I picked up some 4 bolt caps and converted it. Relieved the block, did some work on the heads, filled it with lots of go fast parts and topped it off with some squirters. Blue printed and balanced it all as well...

But the paint scheme was crazy! I used Infinity pearl white and blue with a pearl clear (used the same blue). In the sun or lighting the boat was beautiful! Just enough of the blue over the white that it would look like a reflection from the stripes. In the dark, under lights, it had a blue hue to it. Even had the guys wife hand paint my reg #'s on the bow...

First time on the water it scared me! Ran great, though... AA SS impeller in the Berkely pump with a loader. New motor it really needed a AAA. Shutting it down at top end and you better be hanging on! I had a buddy with me once and he tried to tell me there was no way I needed a parachute on my ***. He never rode with me again! Damn near flew over the bow by just taking my foot out of the throttle.

Good times. Damn near cried when I sold it....Last I heard the guy I sold to took it out on the water one time, scared the **** out of him and took it to a local hot bot dealer and they sold it for him. That's last I've heard about it...

Here's the for sale ad...
http://www.alljeep.com/boat.htm
Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

all i can say is awesome! i wanna build a drag boat now....
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kmracer
all i can say is awesome! i wanna build a drag boat now....
Going fast on water is a HUGE adrenaline rush!! I've drag raced (high 10's) and there is no comparison.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
Going fast on water is a HUGE adrenaline rush!! I've drag raced (high 10's) and there is no comparison.
exactly!!! i've drove a dirt modified for a couple yrs, had a fairly quik sbc s10 with nitrous i dragraced for awhile, was into fast crotch rockets for a bit, airplanes, you name it ive prob tried it and nothing even compares to do 100+ on the water jus inches above it

you guys interested in dragboating, think of it this way. the family can also enjoy riding in it, there's only a motor and jetpump to work on really, no trans or gears stuff like that. when i had twins at 24yrs old, i had to get into something cheaper to do for fun and kicks, been dragboating ever since.sure 100-140mph on the water may seem slow to some guys, but let em try doin it and know full well that there jus may be a 2ft ramp near the finish line he'll have to jump over or plow thru, and i'm sure those speeds will seem alot faster water surface changes every second of everyday, not so with a asphalt track!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Launching!

exactly!!! i've drove a dirt modified for a couple yrs, had a fairly quik sbc s10 with nitrous i dragraced for awhile, was into fast crotch rockets for a bit, airplanes, you name it ive prob tried it and nothing even compares to do 100+ on the water jus inches above it

you guys interested in dragboating, think of it this way. the family can also enjoy riding in it, there's only a motor and jetpump to work on really, no trans or gears stuff like that. when i had twins at 24yrs old, i had to get into something cheaper to do for fun and kicks, been dragboating ever since.sure 100-140mph on the water may seem slow to some guys, but let em try doin it and know full well that there jus may be a 2ft ramp near the finish line he'll have to jump over or plow thru, and i'm sure those speeds will seem alot faster water surface changes every second of everyday, not so with a asphalt track!
Exactly... Even 60 mph on water is scooting along pretty good....

I grew up watching Wally Albright (from the Lil Rascals TV show back in the day) drag race. My mother was dating his crew cheif, so we traveled around with them. he held the record for worlds fastest flat bottom boat back then and it was only 110 mph. And in a jet boat

Wally owned a tomato trucking outfit in Woodland, CA for a number of years while he was racing and up through retirement. I lost track of him in the early 80's and I think he passed in 99? Then I find out that his son sold his drag boat in about 2001? everything there, but motor. I would have KILLED to have that boat! A friend up near Chico, CA bought it without even knowing any of the history. He repainted it and last I heard was racing it again.

Back in the day after Jack rigged it..

Here's how Rick received it:

And what he did to it:

Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Launching!

man that's sad, prob couldve saved the gelcoat
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Launching!

man that's sad, prob couldve saved the gelcoat
From what I saw in the pictures, the boat was in pristine condition when he received it. He just didn't know the history of the boat. He just knew he was buying an old Rogers drag boat that hadn't been raced in years. After he started prepping it and etc, people like me showed a huge interest in it because it was Albright's. That's when he decided to name it "Little Rascals II EX" or something like that.

Rick used to have a web page on the entire build with lots of pictures, but it's no longer up anymore. DIYDragBoat.com, or something like that. He knows full well if he is ever to sell, to call me. I'd probably take the pictures I have of it and Wally's red and white van down to the paint shop and have them duplicate it.

Anyway, major hijack... Any more pictures of your ****?

Quick Reply: new member, here's my dragboat 5.3 single turb turd