Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

new member, here's my dragboat 5.3 single turb turd

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
From what I saw in the pictures, the boat was in pristine condition when he received it. He just didn't know the history of the boat. He just knew he was buying an old Rogers drag boat that hadn't been raced in years. After he started prepping it and etc, people like me showed a huge interest in it because it was Albright's. That's when he decided to name it "Little Rascals II EX" or something like that.

Rick used to have a web page on the entire build with lots of pictures, but it's no longer up anymore. DIYDragBoat.com, or something like that. He knows full well if he is ever to sell, to call me. I'd probably take the pictures I have of it and Wally's red and white van down to the paint shop and have them duplicate it.

Anyway, major hijack... Any more pictures of your ****?
**** man, im a dragboater, love talkin boats, you aint threadjackin lol if he jus expoxy sealed over the gelcoat, have it stripped off and clear gel it if what's under the primer aint horrible.
unfortunately my pc here at work got a nasty std from a boat site and took a dump, took tons of my boating pics along with it
Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1
**** man, im a dragboater, love talkin boats, you aint threadjackin lol if he jus expoxy sealed over the gelcoat, have it stripped off and clear gel it if what's under the primer aint horrible.
unfortunately my pc here at work got a nasty std from a boat site and took a dump, took tons of my boating pics along with it
That would be nice to know... It's been 8? years since I've seen the pictures of the restoration (transformation) and I can't remember

Here's a good time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvO9zujTJ7g

The black and green Sanger? is a friends. He picked up the boat for free and added a motor he had sitting around. All said and done, he's into it about $2k.

At about 1:30 is a red and white boat. This sumbitch was fast!! He had a turbo 400 auto tranny behind the BBC. There was something about it, when it would get into it's power band around 3k rpm, it would plant you firmly in the seat.

At the very end is Kunze attempting a pass with Albright's old drag boat - Rogers. This was just after he got it back together. I don't remember if this was before or after his first 120+ pass after getting it back on the water and if this was before/after he put a hole in teh side of the pump and almost sank it. Been too long and I don't remember all of the time lines. But if I remember right, the fuel pump went out in the video... I believe both of us had to be pulled to the boat dock this trip. I think this was the trip my Mallory ignition module decided to go out...

Every few months or so, we'd all get together and head up river about 10 miles to this spot. The guy with the pontoon boat was a DJ, so he'd load up with his sound equipment and generator. Then everyone else would haul BBQ's and ice chests up. We'd hang out all day enjoying good tunes, good friends, good food and cold beer. After some liquid encouragement, we'd go play aroung a bit.

Good times for sure!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Well, because of your post I looked up this boat and guess what I bought

Turns out it's been sitting for several years after he blew the motor up.....

Now I have to figure out what I'm goign to do with it.... Do I strip the paint off and restore it to the way it was 20-30 years ago? Keep it this way? Do I start racing it?

I must say your turboed LS motors are very apealing.....

I found this on another board. This was back in ~1977....

A fellow looking like a homeless person came in the MPD shop one evening and asked "if we installed engines in jet boats". I told him "yes" and he then asked "if we would install the engine in his jet boat". I said "sure", thinking to myself that it was all a joke. He then left.
Several weeks later the same fellow showed up driving a nice shiny pickup with an injected aluminum KB hemi sitting in the bed and a brand new red & white Rogers Drag Star hitched on behind. He said "this is the engine that I'd like you to install in that jet boat". I almost fell over!
We built the rails and engine mounts, and installed the engine. During that era we also built some of the cav plate hardware used on the Drag Stars, but that stuff was usually installed in Roger's shop. I don't remember for sure if we did any of the other rigging on that boat, but I'm thinking that we may have done the pedals/plate controls because I bothered to take a pic of those. After Wally's boat left MPD, I never saw it again, but heard thru the grapevine about him setting the CompJet record.
I am thrilled to see old race boats like this being preserved and, hopefully, kept in top condition.
Jack
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Launching!

awesome!!!!! join up on performanceboats.com site and put some pics up in the jetboat forum section, bet you'll have a ton of guys from there recognize the boat!!!

i jus went the lightest and easiest on the wallet route, ive done bigblocks till i was sick of em, and when its a known fact weight kills et , kinda makes sense to go ls based power these days jus for how cheap it is to make 800hp crank hp. a blown 454 with dual dominators on it barely makes that on pumpgas 250lbs+ more weight tho
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Hoping to have this sitting in my garage by Turkey Day!

As of right now, I'm thinking an LQ4 (lower comp ratio than an LQ9, cheaper, easier to get, etc) with a turbo and E85. I think I'm going to try to keep it injected as well....? Not sure about that though
Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice projects
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

wow this is awesome. i want a jet boat too. nice work
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Awesome thread, can we have some videos please
Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Awesome thread, can we have some videos please
Here's 98.4 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk8hFcwgu5A
Here's roughly 115 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_JSfrdnB4Y
Here's roughly 337 mph. Would have been more, but the motor blew at the end. If you listen, you can hear the sound drop out as flames take out the microphone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJ1U934tjI

Quick Reply: new member, here's my dragboat 5.3 single turb turd