Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What is hurting me more?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is hurting me more?

I built a turbo trans am, used to be a nitrous car. It is a budget build so i want to spend the least amount of money possible to finish it.....Right now I have a nitrous 4400 stall converter and a 12-bolt with a 3.90 gear. I know a lot of guys are running John Deere trans fluid and bringing down the stall 400RPM or so.....Which would be more important to change first, gear or converter?? Or should i change the gear and try the JD fluid and see what happens?? The car pulls extremely well in 3rd gear so it's not blowing through the converter...Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to get all the small stuff out of the way so I can run the car next year.....I guess the real question would be is whether or not anyone out there is running a big gear and large stall and putting donw a good number?? I dont care about dyno numbers, I want *** dyno/1320 numbers...I will only be running a 26" tall due to me keeping the stock 16" rim for now. I like the stock look.

Thanks,

Dennis

Last edited by 020NN20; 10-11-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 020NN20
I built a turbo trans am, used to be a nitrous car. It is a budget build so i want to spend the least amount of money possible to finish it.....Right now I have a nitrous 4400 stall converter and a 12-bolt with a 3.90 gear. I know a lot of guys are running John Deere trans fluid and bringing down the stall 400RPM or so.....Which would be more important to change first, gear or converter?? Or should i change the gear and try the JD fluid and see what happens?? The car pulls extremely well in 3rd gear so it's not blowing through the converter...Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to get all the small stuff out of the way so I can run the car next year.....

Thanks,

Dennis
really you need to change both at the same time. if you change to a higher gear it will load the converter harder and make it slip more. if you change the converter, it will be correct either before of after gear change but not both.

without a driveshaft speed sensor it's really hard to tell if you are driving through the converter