Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

fast intake leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast intake leaks

has anyone had an issue with the fast 90mm intake leaking under boost?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not really most people have taken steps to make sure it doesn't happen
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some have had some bad things happen but not 100% sure if it was fast or something else on few of them. Like you have to make sure to use the lower valley bolts or you can crack intake. You tighten the fast with inch pounds not ft pounds or you can crack the intake. I tapped and put fitting on back of the fast where the map goes as that is hokey on the fast and possible leak point. Also used some rtv when put shells together in a few places and used some loctite on bolts that hold the fast shells together. I had no problems for year or two but only have been running 7.5psi thru it.

I was thinking to maybe upgrade my 90 to newest fast intake in maybe near future.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The newer FAST intakes are much stronger than the older 90 intakes, which were prone to leaking. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

We put 2 on customers cars when I was working at Townsend's about 5 years ago. They both leaked and they were N/A engines. The damn engines had a vacuum leak that was giving us a hell of a time tuning the car and couldn't figure out where the hell it was coming from at first. Rear corners where the 2 halves came together. What a PITA. The second one we knew right away what was wrong.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help ive been trying to track down a boost leak and ive been thinking its the fast. im going to do some testing on it and see if that's the problem
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting thread. I just installed a FAST intake on my 01 C5, I got a brand new 78mm model dirt cheap so I couldn't resist.

The intake itself is nice enough, but it is obvious that FAST tries way to hard to make their intake fit all models of LS equipped cars, resulting in individual fitment issues for each model. I cant believe for the price of these things how much work you have to do to get them to fit. I have heard that FAST has **** poor R+D and quality control, but now I have experienced it first hand. This is definitely my first and last FAST intake. For crying out loud, at least add a tab to hold the MAP sensor in.

I'm thinking of having my LS6 intake ported and pulling the FAST off and selling it.

All that being said - my car whistles as well once it warmed up. Its just a real short and low whistle when you first crack the throttle, during the transition from idle. It doesn't whistle at idle or when you are getting on it. I suspect the PCV or the purge hose as the FAST intake gas both pieces in non original angles.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have fast 78 on my car. Had it since pre turbos. Zero problems with fitment no problems with it up to 7.5psi. Did use loctite on the fasteners between the shells.Do use proper inch pound torquing specs and did use the proper valley bolts.
I do think they should have a map holdown setup like stock. What I did was drill and tap the hole for map bigger and then run line so could run my 3 bar over more on passenger side. So no chance of any leaking from map coming out. It was easy to do.

I will likely be going up to 102 fast in future. I do think though they should also maybe offer a one piece intake for FI guys just to make sure they don't have problems under higher boost.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Default 102 fast intake

are they worth the money?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

I,ve got a Fast 78 and have been running 9/11 boost with no problems, but of course now you guys have me worried

Quick Reply: fast intake leaks