Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what size wastegate do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
While this is the ideal placement, if the build layout does not permit this, they usually work effectively at a 90* angle as well.
negative
you get about 10% of the total flow to the wastegate at a 90* angle

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You can show me all the diagrams you want and for each one I can show you 10 builds where a 90* placement still effectively controls boost.

Not to mention, when the wastegate is open, 100% of flow isn't going through it anyways.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

heres a pic of my merge, the flange is actually the pass side and the 45* runs infront of the motor to the drivers side. I was thinking I can run a pipe from the pass side at the 90* and one from the 45* on the drivers side into eachother making one single into the wastegate. then they will both be in direct flow.
Attached Thumbnails what size wastegate do I need?-118.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

You can show me all the diagrams you want and for each one I can show you 10 builds where a 90* placement still effectively controls boost.

Not to mention, when the wastegate is open, 100% of flow isn't going through it anyways.
show me

provide images of the car and dyno charts with boost logs on them controling single digit numbers.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 70c10
heres a pic of my merge, the flange is actually the pass side and the 45* runs infront of the motor to the drivers side. I was thinking I can run a pipe from the pass side at the 90* and one from the 45* on the drivers side into eachother making one single into the wastegate. then they will both be in direct flow.
in direct flow and you're good
i'll post some images of good and bad in a bit
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks tial Im going to try and draw what I want to do
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

here is what I was thinking
Attached Thumbnails what size wastegate do I need?-croppeed-merge-pic.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that still has a 90 degree bend. something like this will be more efficient and will place the wastegate close enough to the downpipe to allow it to recirculate without causing too much restriction. you want the wastegate pipe as close to the merge as possible but the smoother the transition the better. but if space allows.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
revised.bmp (280.1 KB, 685 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TiAL
negative
you get about 10% of the total flow to the wastegate at a 90* angle

The flaw in your model is the lack of restriction/back pressure. Sure, the flow will be exactly as shown by your image if this was an open header (i.e. open header dumping to atmosphere). With backpressure, the whole manifold/wastegate tube would be filled with exhaust, and try to exit any way that it can. I do agree that the tube in the flow direction is ideal though.

My experience from 10+ builds is that 90 degree will work fine, if and only if, you have a properly sized wastegate.

If it were me, and I needed to run low boost and I only had the option to run a 90 degree, then I would opt for a bigger wastegate.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 70c10
here is what I was thinking
that should work, just transition the right side in so it isn't a 90.

here are some great examples:

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

this is not
Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RealQuick
The flaw in your model is the lack of restriction/back pressure. Sure, the flow will be exactly as shown by your image if this was an open header (i.e. open header dumping to atmosphere). With backpressure, the whole manifold/wastegate tube would be filled with exhaust, and try to exit any way that it can. I do agree that the tube in the flow direction is ideal though.

My experience from 10+ builds is that 90 degree will work fine, if and only if, you have a properly sized wastegate.

If it were me, and I needed to run low boost and I only had the option to run a 90 degree, then I would opt for a bigger wastegate.
1:1 backpressure isn't a flaw...having a cheap inefficient turbo with an A/R that is sized incorrectly, primaries that are too small for the hp goal resulting in wayy too much back pressure is a flaw in my book.

yes, if you have backpressure through the roof a 90* angle will work a bit better, but at that point the turbo is going to come onto boost later, have to work harder to make the power, fall off up top and generally not perform anywhere near as well as a properly set up turbo system.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have pretty much a 90* coming out from my merge with a pte88, tial 48mm wastegate and the least amount of boost i can run is 11-12psi
if it was transitioned i'm sure i could get it lower, but that is low enough for me.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

1:1 backpressure isn't a flaw...having a cheap inefficient turbo with an A/R that is sized incorrectly, primaries that are too small for the hp goal resulting in wayy too much back pressure is a flaw in my book.
I agree that 1:1 isn't a flaw... but that ratio you speak of is the ratio of boost on the intake side versus exhaust backpressure... that is different than what I am talking about (and different then your image appears to be showing).

Your image appears to show what a naturally aspirated engine would expel through an open header. What inputs did you use in order to run the flow analysis in the pic?

yes, if you have backpressure through the roof a 90* angle will work a bit better, but at that point the turbo is going to come onto boost later, have to work harder to make the power, fall off up top and generally not perform anywhere near as well as a properly set up turbo system.
What do you consider through the roof? According to you, a 1:1 is ideal right? Let's say you run 20psi on the intake, then the exhaust will see 20psi in the exhaust manifold (at your 1:1). 20psi of pressure in an exhaust manifold won't show flow like the picture you showed. If boost is a measurement of restriction, that whole manifold and wastegate tube should be pressurized and ready to bleed off boost (whether a 90 degree is used or not)?

As far as symptoms of an inefficient setup, I agree with what you listed.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Subbing. Can't get the thread tools drop down to work on my phone to avoid a useless post...
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

you guys are really arguing with someone, who I ASSume, is some sort of person works for basically the most well known wastegate companies?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spoolinsteve
you guys are really arguing with someone, who I ASSume, is some sort of person works for basically the most well known wastegate companies?
I totally agree with you except when i was in college i had some ignorant and just plain dumb teachers that had no business in a classroom. This guy (tial) could be the receptionist. lol jk its a good discussion though and i m subscribed
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is not
junkyard setups at their finest lol! great pic
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

this is not
this is one of the funniest damn things i have ever seen
Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It all depends on what your definition of "controlling boost" is and how low you want to be able to turn the boost down. Do any of those 10 effectively controlled boost setups have a spike in the boost at peak boost?

Quick Reply: what size wastegate do I need?