Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

water/alky injection ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water/alky injection ???

I`m considering buying a water/alky injection kit but i`d like to learn a little more about how it works.

First question, Does water alky inj. add any hp in itself or does it just cool the intake charge so you can run more boost and timing. in other words if i bolted on the kit got it dialed in didn`t change anything except add the water/alky would it make more power?

Second question, About how long does a gallon of water/alky last with moderatly hard driving, Also where do you get the alky and how much does it generaly cost.

Finaly, figure 9psi of boost, how much on average would a water/alky kit on a turbo 346 boost power after being tuned and uping the boost to say 11psi? How much more hp can you actually make by running water/alky is the bottom line?

Thanks for the Water/alky 101 guys.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see... I can try and answer these:

1) No. It makes no more HP. Just keeps things cool and prevents detonation so you can turn up the boost.

2) It depends on what you consider hard driving. I've read about some people changing their gallon tank every time they fill up their gas tank. That seems like a lot, though. From what I've been reading, it seems if you don't drive too hard and don't inject a ton of alcohol, you can do about a gallon a month. Again, there are a TON of variables, so everyone is different. You can buy regular denatured alcohol at a paint store or if you run methanol, you'll have to get it from a place that sells commerical chemicals or at the race track. I think the denatured stuff is around $3 a gallon??? Maybe a little more?

3) Not sure. It all depends on HOW MUCH alcohol you want to inject and what your mixture is. Look at Rob Raymer's setup. You can increase your boost by 20% or 100% depending on all these things...

Good luck!

For more info, check out:

www.smcenterprises.com
www.alkycontrol.com
www.turbobuick.com

Quick Reply: water/alky injection ???