Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408 Forced induction waffle:

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 408 Forced induction waffle:

So, long story short:
I am building a 408 cubic inch 6.0L iron block (LS motor) with all forged internals for my 70 GMC C1500.

Goal is 1000RWHP (there or about's). Anything higher and the heads start to lift off the block, "pushing water". I plan to drive the truck for fun, may do some track days, but right now racing is not in my blood. This is a ***** and giggles build.

Originally, a friend of mine, a GM Master tech, was going to do all the turbo and EFI tuning, based on a stock GM computer. Now that he's becoming a police officer, he doesn't have time.

So I started thinking about a blower with dual carbs, which is something I can tune myself. I can also make the LS look very old skool instead of super high tech.

Here's where the waffling starts. I already have allot of the efi/turbo set up. Although tuning, purchase of the remaining items and fabrication of the turbos will cost as much as the complete blower set up. I'd also have to run really ugly engine accessories on the blower set up.

So, think BDS 871 with dual 750CFM and a spark controller vs LS electronics and dual intercooled 76MM ceramic ball bearing turbos (Already have the intake, etc)

Trans is a 4L80E with a manual valve body, so it will support either induction set up. I will also match the cam and torque converter to support the induction.

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I you're willing to learn, tuning an efi setup yourself is not all that difficult. You just need to educate yourself and make small changes. It's not that tough.

I'd go the turbo/efi route. You could save some money by using smaller turbos than 76s, 70s or even 67s would make the power you're after. Also you could go journal bearing over ball bearing to save a lot of money. A 408 will not have any issues spooling journal bearing turbos.